Author Topic: Help deciphering WW2 service file  (Read 1535 times)

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Help deciphering WW2 service file
« on: Thursday 22 July 21 11:19 BST (UK) »
I obtained my fathers WW2 file and we are trying to flesh out the information and get some idea of where and what he was involved in during his service.  However, we are struggling to understand some of the annotations and would be grateful for any assistance offered.   

He was a Sapper in the Royal Engineers and served from 1940 to 1946 and the file shows him to be in Egypt, Cyprus, Crete and Greece during his service.  I have set out some of the abbreviations here, but there are many more.  If necessary can post an image of some of the file extract so that readers can see the actual annotation and it's context.   

Initial posting on enlistment - "D" Coy No. 10 TB RTC RE
Transferred "T" Coy 9 TB
Transferred P/Q wing 10 T.B.R.T.C.
Embarked for M.E.  11/1/1941
M.C Cyprus 24/5/41

He was unskilled and his army "trade" is shown as Pri Checker D.II and Sec PNR RE CIII.  There is also a Proficiency Form which shows he passed the Class III test for the trade of Pioneer RE Gp E.

As I say, I can post the images if needed, but would be grateful for any info.

Thank you
Andrew

Offline MaxD

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Help deciphering WW2 service file
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 July 21 13:53 BST (UK) »
Posting the image would be best to cross check possible mis-transcriptions and to see context.

As a starter, TB was Training Battalion , 10 TB was in the Railway
 Training Centre RE, he started in D Company. Late transferred to 9 TB, then (probably) Pioneer Qualification Wing-at 10 TB.
Embarked for the Middle East
Movement Control  Cyprus
I find checker in the context of movement control in the RE

Context will give dates and other info will often explains what a single entry actually means.
MaxD
I am Zoe Northeast, granddaughter of Maximilian Double.

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk
Randle/Millington Warwicks
Sokser/Klingler Austria/Croatia

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 July 21 14:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks MaxD.  Out and about at the moment but I'll post some images later.  Thank you.

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 July 21 17:15 BST (UK) »
Screen snips of the relevant pages from his record.     As far as I can ascertain he missed the action in north africa but looks like he was on Crete at the time the German invasion started.    Any information that may help us understand what's on the file better and paint a picture of his time in service greatly appreciated.

Andrew

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 July 21 19:58 BST (UK) »
You will have noticed that there are some entries duplicated on different parts of his record - quite normal but to get everything in the right order will take a little time.

In outline as a starter, he was in training in UK from 15 Feb 1940 until 11 Jan 1941, in the MIddle East from 21 Apr 1941 until 14 Jun 1945 then UK until release on 17 Aug 1946.

He was in Movement Control throughout - these are the units that oversee and organise the movement of bodies of troops by sea, rail and air.  In most cases, the specifics of where he was are not able to identified, for example we see him in 1946 posted to Movement Control Cyprus and is attached to 4 Docks Group RE here looking after the movement of peope and goods by sea.  There are war diaries for some of the units but these are undigitised  so would require a visit to Kew or for a researcher to do the job of copying them - I don't believe it would be worthwhile.

I'll work on bringing some order to the entries in the coming days.

MaxD

It is with great difficulty I share with you that in the early hours of 07 August 2021, Maximilian passed away unexpectedly but peacefully.

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline zimmer46

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 July 21 09:01 BST (UK) »
Thank you once again MaxD.   

It will be fantastic to learn what we can from the file.  Sadly he died relatively young at 43 years old when I was 5, and there is no one of his generation still with us in the wider family.   I only obtained his file last year, and as a result was able to get his war medals issued, but the experience has also kindled an interest from my sons who obviously never knew him and it will be fantastic to pass on what ever we learn to future generations.

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 23 July 21 09:52 BST (UK) »
Another general comment before diving into the detail.  Movement Control is one of those essential supporting elements that, while just as necessary to the war effort as the fighting troops, is decidedly unglamorous so finding anything in detail about any one small detachment of "movers" is not easy.
I'll do some investigation elsewhere meanwhile to see what more I can provide in terms of suggestions for your own further research.

More later.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 July 21 14:40 BST (UK) »
Can you give his name please. A contact has a small document relating to MC in the Middle East with a nominal roll.

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk

Offline MaxD

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 23 July 21 14:52 BST (UK) »
Also see https://movcon.org.uk/.  Look for the More Info button beneath the Short Term Access section. This  gives the email link to the Historical Secretary who will doubltless be helpful.

More later

MaxD

With deep sadness,
Zoe

Double  Essex/Suffolk