Author Topic: John Macdonald married Euphemia MacInnes North Uist 12th Nov 1896  (Read 632 times)

Offline mattfrombann

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Macdonald married Euphemia MacInnes North Uist 12th Nov 1896
« on: Friday 23 July 21 12:45 BST (UK) »
Marriage entry lists John MacDonald's parents as Ranald MacDonald (deceased) and Ann Stewart (wool spinner) but does NOT indicate they were married. It shows that he was born c1862. None of the John MacDonald births in North Uist for 1862/1863 are him. An Ann Stewart (stocking knitter) with a John MacDonald aged 9 appear as boarders in 1871 census of Rhudub, North Uist. John's birthplace is given as "Milton, Invernesshire" Again, I have been unable to identify his birth in that area. There are just too many John MacDonalds. Has anyone come across this family?

Meanwhile.....I believe that Ranald is the one who married Catherine MacDougald 23rd Aug 1864 North Uist. Their son Donald was born 4 days later:) Ranald died 28th May 1868. Catherine had two illegitimate children John Archibald and Mary MacDougal in 1876.

My interest is that John MacDonald and Euphemia MacIness had a son Ranald who married Kate Stewart in Govan, Glasgow, 20th Sept 1928. Ranald and Kate are the grandparents of a friend who, as is so often the case, left it too late to enquire of the family about his Hebridean roots.

But what I really want to find is the birth registration for John MacDonald c1862/1863.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Re: John Macdonald married Euphemia MacInnes North Uist 12th Nov 1896
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 July 21 13:32 BST (UK) »
From the IGI, John Stewart, son of Ann Stewart, was born in South Uist on 3 November 1861. He would have been 9 years old on the date of the 1871 census and 32 on 12 November 1896.

This is probably the John Stewart whose birth was registered in Boisdale in 1861, district 118/3, no 59. There are no other births of John St*arts registered in Boisdale or elsewhere in South Uist between 1861 and 1863.

'Milton' is not helpful, as there are dozens if not hundreds of Miltons.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline Rosinish

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • PASSED & PAST
    • View Profile
Re: John Macdonald married Euphemia MacInnes North Uist 12th Nov 1896
« Reply #2 on: Monday 26 July 21 06:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Matt...

Forfarian is correct re many places named Milton...

However, Milton in your case is familiar to me, it's in the 'Boisdale' RD of the south end of South Uist, the area where the Memorial/Monument/Cairn to Flora MacDonald is situated.

Milton 'Gearraidh Bhailteas/Gerraidh Bhaltos' (as well as other variants) is approx. 5/6 miles N/W of Lochboisdale, the main port/township of South Uist (where the ferry docks) & lies very close to the famous Askernish Golf Course (designed by the famous 'old' Tom Morris) & once home of an Airport!...

If you're interested...

https://www.abct.org.uk/airfields/airfield-finder/askernish-south-uist/

https://www.forgottenairfields.com/airfield-askernish-1318.html

Annie

South Uist, Inverness-shire, Scotland:- Bowie, Campbell, Cumming, Currie

Ireland:- Cullen, Flannigan (Derry), Donahoe/Donaghue (variants) (Cork), McCrate (Tipperary), Mellon, Tol(l)and (Donegal & Tyrone)

Newcastle-on-Tyne/Durham (Northumberland):- Harrison, Jude, Kemp, Lunn, Mellon, Robson, Stirling

Kettering, Northampton:- MacKinnon

Canada:- Callaghan, Cumming, MacPhee

"OLD GENEALOGISTS NEVER DIE - THEY JUST LOSE THEIR CENSUS"