Author Topic: Vessel 'AFRICA' sailed into Melbourne, August 1858.  (Read 991 times)

Offline BriBoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Vessel 'AFRICA' sailed into Melbourne, August 1858.
« on: Saturday 24 July 21 14:30 BST (UK) »
Hi

Can anyone be so kind to help with original manifest for this voyage.
I have seen the PROV list.

I am particularly interested in John & Mary O'SHAUGHNESSY and which part of Ireland they may have come from.

Thanks.

BB

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Vessel 'AFRICA' sailed into Melbourne, August 1858.
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 July 21 15:42 BST (UK) »
The PROV passenger lists are on FamilySearch

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:3Q9M-CSKW-N7HL-H

You won't usually find much detail on Victorian passenger lists.

Debra  :)

Offline BriBoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 25 July 21 00:11 BST (UK) »
Thanks Debra,

You are correct, was hoping to find County Clare (edited 25/07/2021) Tipperary, but alas, no extra details there.
Thanks for the link.

BB

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 25 July 21 01:43 BST (UK) »
Hi
Are you looking for general information about this couple or specifically immigration details only?

Sometimes if you trace them through different life events in a new country, the place of birth for either or both will be found.

For instance press mentions regarding the marriage of their children......son of Mr Such and Such of place... Or death notices and obits.

Where in Victoria had you thought they settled?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline BriBoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 July 21 02:11 BST (UK) »
Hi Sue,

Thanks for showing an interest.... I will get back to you with a long response.

BB

Offline BriBoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 14:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
Are you looking for general information about this couple or specifically immigration details only?

Sometimes if you trace them through different life events in a new country, the place of birth for either or both will be found.

For instance press mentions regarding the marriage of their children......son of Mr Such and Such of place... Or death notices and obits.

Where in Victoria had you thought they settled?

Sue

Hi Sue,

Originally, I saw a Trove article where a 33 year old, John O'Shannassy was killed in an explosion in 1898, Deer Park (western suburbs of Melbourne), pointing to a birth year of 1865.

Vic BDM pointed to his parents being John O'Shannassy (Snr), with John Snr's wife's surname being Mary Keefe / O'Keefe -  similar / same as a relation of mine Darby Shaughnessy (morphed into O'Shannassy).

Darby married Margaret Keefe in County Clare, then moved to South Australia, then up and around Nhill where he died. His widow and a son, Daniel (born 1859) moved to the Maidstone / Footscray area of Melbourne around 1910.

John Snr (who came on the Africa) doesn't appear to be a brother of Darby though. Could be a cousin, or no relation at all. Because....  I have previously, I think found a brother for Darby called John - a South Australian newspaper article of 1878, reports on John's death in Booyoolie, saying "that he had a brother involved in 'agricultural pursuits' in Macclesfield SA (250kms away)" which is exactly where Darby was farming at the time.

It would have been good if County Clare was listed as John & Mary's home county on the Africa. But that's not to be. When I get a subscription back, I can look for a pre-1858 wedding for that couple in Clare.

I think I should park this for now. Keep it up my sleeve.

BB

Offline Maggsie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 28 July 21 16:57 BST (UK) »
Hi, try this...........
In 1852 in Griffiths Valuation there is a Jeremiah Shaughnessy listed, see link below, in County Clare renting three plots of land in a townland called Oakfield in the Parish of KILTENANLEA.
Jeremiah people are known as Darby, why I do not know!

Where you see "Position on Page" 13.  Click the "X" on the top of the yellow page and you will see MAP VIEW, choose the large one. Click on it and the page will load, take a while, you will find the K I for Kiltenanlea it on the bottom right hand side of the red square. where you see the K and I look above and you will see Oakfield House look left and you will see plot 13. c b and a. Glance right at the top of the map and you will a glider saying Modern map, keep you eye on the plots and wiz the slider to modern map, ok, that's where they were.  As you mentioned Deer Park in Australia, 9 times out of 10 that is clue to where they were in Ireland, look right and you will see Deer Park.
Zoom out and you will see where in Clare it is.

http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&Submit.x=44&Submit.y=7&familyname=Shaughnessy&firstname=jeremiah&baronyname=&countyname=CLARE&unionname=&parishname=

there are a few others listed.....
http://www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/index.xml?action=doNameSearch&Submit.x=38&Submit.y=7&familyname=Shaughnessy&firstname=&baronyname=&countyname=CLARE&unionname=&parishname=KILTENANLEA
Hope this helps
Maggsie

Offline BriBoy

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 03:27 BST (UK) »
Hi Maggsie,

Thanks for going to that trouble.

My Darby SHAUGHNESSY and Margaret KEEFE married in the Kilfenora Parish of Clare (Diocese of Galway) in November 1856 so unlikely to be them.

Regards,

BB

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 10 August 21 03:45 BST (UK) »
I don’t know if any of your events might be included here:
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0628

Free to search.