Author Topic: Dunphy Family of Mount Zion, Kilkenny pre 1879  (Read 1660 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Dunphy Family of Mount Zion, Kilkenny pre 1879
« on: Saturday 24 July 21 17:25 BST (UK) »
Hi, Everyone,
My first time on this board, and I was wondering whether anyone could assist me in tracing the ancestral footprints of the DUNPHY family of Kilkenny.  I understand that a Frederick DUNPHY, b.1879/80, and his father Edward DUNPHY may have been medical men, and that the family home was called Mount Zion, which became a school when Frederick moved to England some time before 1909, when he married a Charlotte Elizabeth WILSON, b. about1884 in London.
Any help at all with this family prior to 1879 would be greatly appreciated. (I have the names Edward DUNPHY and Henrietta PLAYER lightly pencilled in as Frederick's parents)
Many thanks in advance,
Keith

Online athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Dunphy Family of Mount Zion, Kilkenny pre 1879
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 July 21 17:47 BST (UK) »
possible match ?

Frederick Dunphy born 13th Sepetember 1879, father Edward Dunphy mother Henrietta Phayer
place of birth / residence is Mount Sion, Kilkenny, Edward's occupation is gentleman

I dont think Mount Sion is a townland, maybe the name of a house ?

Online athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 July 21 17:51 BST (UK) »
Marriage of Edward and Henrietta 16th November 1870, in St. Paul church of Ireland Cork city, given the date there could be other children before Frederick.  A middle name is shown for the groom, Aloysuis

Online athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 24 July 21 18:01 BST (UK) »
there's a death in 1920 that looks related - Henrietta Dunphy, age 73 widow of a gentleman, place of death 'Mount Sion', informant looks  like Aileen Dunphy, daughter

there's a match for Henrietta with her Husband on the 1901 and 1911 census at a townland called Quarryland in Kilkenny rural district, daughter shown as Eileen on the 1911 return

Online athacliath62

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 24 July 21 18:08 BST (UK) »
Quarryland is beside a townland named Sionhermitage, which contains a Sion House, the later OS map also shows a Mount Sion (house) on the border between the two townlands.

Loog to the east, south east of Kilkenny city on the Black & white, 25" OSI c1900  map layer on Geohive  (the link sharing system is worked at the moment). You can see the location on a modern map at logainm.ie

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 24 July 21 18:47 BST (UK) »
Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 24 July 21 20:51 BST (UK) »
Wow! Athacliath62 and Kiltaglassan,
Had slipped away for a while, then came back to find all these wonderful links.  Thanks so much, will have a good look at them now and shall return later with my comments, and possibly more questions...
Keith
...and I'm pretty sure I was reliably informed that Mount Zion or Sion was the name of their house or residence...

Offline dathai

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 25 July 21 10:03 BST (UK) »

Kilkenny Moderator - Saturday 21 February 1920

Death
Dunphy – February 18th, at his residence, Mount Sion, Kilkenny, Edward A. Dunphy, after a severe illness, borne with Christian patience and resignation. Funeral at 11 a.m. to-day (Friday) to St. John’s Cemetery.

Kilkenny Moderator - Saturday 06 November 1920

Death of Mrs Henrietta Dunphy
The death took place suddenly on Wednesday last of Mrs. Henrietta Dunphy, Mount Sion, Kilkenny. The deceased was widow of the late Mr. Edward Dunphy : she enjoyed the warm esteem of a wide circle of friends, and her death is deeply regretted.

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo