Author Topic: Need help with George Percival Abbott Nelson  (Read 726 times)

Online Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Need help with George Percival Abbott Nelson
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 01:39 BST (UK) »
wivenhoe,

Margaret Cannan's death certificate:
11 July 1906 Benevolent Asylum Bendigo
Margaret Cannon, female, 90 years, senile debility (unknown period), parents' names unknown, informant illegible, authorised agent Bendigo, buried Eaglehawk Cemetery 14 July 1906, born Donegal Ireland, 65 years in Victoria, 1st marriage children unknown, 2nd married to James Cannon at age 32, children of marriage: James dead, Catherine 57, Samuel dead, Jane 49, Robert 47

Bendigo Benevolent Asylum
CANNON Margaret
Date of Admission 1/1/1904
Age 89 years
Widow 10 children
Religion C/E
Occupatio Domestic
Last residence Serpentine
Present Residence Eaglehawk
Arrival Date 1841
Arrival District 13 years
Birth Place Northern Ireland
Complaint Old Age
Parents Robert and Mary Nelson
Died Senile debility 11/7/1906

Her children:
Almira Elizabeth Keating bapt Nelson 1843 Melbourne
Sarah Ann Isabella Keating bapt Nelson then Keating 1844 Melbourne
Lucinda Margaret Keating bapt 1847 Melbourne
William Horatio Keating ca 1849 (based on age at death - no birth/bapt found)

James Cannan - ca 1852 died 1856 German Gully
Samuel Cannan - ca 1854 died 1890 Warragul
Catherine Philomena Cannan born 1856 German Gully (reg as Callen)
Jane Cannan, born ca 1857 Fryers Creek
Robert Cannan born 1859 Fryers Creek
England:
Durham: COULSON, FENWICK, HUNTER, LOWES, NAYLOR, ROBSON
Norfolk: DEWING, OUGHTON, TAYLOR,
Lancashire: TWEDDLE
Ireland: KEATING, KIRBY, Limerick; NELSON, Donegal
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow
Switzerland: VOSTI, DELUBINI
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 01:43 BST (UK) »
I downloaded the death certificate for George Percival Abbott Nelson - he and George Percival Abbott are one and the same, better known as Percy Abbott, born Pittsburgh USA, 1 year WA, about 5 years NSW, 6 months Vic. Various newspaper articles also refer to his time in NZ and England. He was part of a musical group who toured widely. Sadly, not part of my family  :(
England:
Scotland: BENNIE, Glasgow; COOK, Renfrewshire; HENDERSON, Alloa/Dundee; HUNTER, Glasgow; KIRKWOOD, Alloa; LAMONT, Dalkeith; YOUNG, Glasgow

Online Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 01:51 BST (UK) »
Back to my search for the missing 10th child of Margaret Nelson, I downloaded the baptism certificate for James Nelson, born 15 December 1850 to Robert, labourer, and Margaret Nelson. James baptised in the Free Presbyterian Church, Melbourne.

I thought this might be a possiblity as Margaret's father's name was Robert and she might have been covering up an illegitimate child; also Margaret was Protestant, from Northern Ireland. But wouldn't both parents be present at the baptism?
England:

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 02:19 BST (UK) »
I am assured that there was not and still is not a requirement that either or both parents MUST be present for a baby to be baptised in a C of E ceremony.  I am not sure of the 1850s requirements for the Free Prebysterians. But re C of E (so err ... ummm... caution as I am presuming similar practices for other denominations) It is of course likely that one or both parents were present at that baptism in 1850s, but it is quite possible that between conception and baptism there's twelve months or more, and that in that time that the baby's father has died or left the colony or was working away, or may have left the relationship with the baby's mum.   That lack of a father in attendance would not cause the clergyman to record any additional information about the baby's parentage on his parish register, as afterall, the ceremony is not about the parents, the focus is on the baby.  Some clergy were diligent and could record margin notes etc, but there was no formal requirement to do so, nor any reason to include if either parent had died before the ceremony had been conducted. 

:)

Back to my search for the missing 10th child of Margaret Nelson, I downloaded the baptism certificate for James Nelson, born 15 December 1850 to Robert, labourer, and Margaret Nelson. James baptised in the Free Presbyterian Church, Melbourne.

I thought this might be a possiblity as Margaret's father's name was Robert and she might have been covering up an illegitimate child; also Margaret was Protestant, from Northern Ireland. But wouldn't both parents be present at the baptism?

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Online Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 04:34 BST (UK) »
Thanks, JM. Your reference to what happened in CofE baptisms reminded me that Margaret had her earlier illegitimate children baptised at St James CofE Melbourne - the father was recorded at "putative" in one case.
England:

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 04:37 BST (UK) »
A question ...

Do you know if the elusive child was a boy or a girl...    I am wondering if the surname would be KEATING and if perhaps the baby was next after Sarah 1843 and immediately before Lucinda 1847 ...

Perhaps you need to consider starting a new thread, as you have determined that George percival Abbott NELSON is not your elusive chap...  :)

JM

The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Online Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 05:08 BST (UK) »
JM, thanks for the fresh eyes :-) I hadn't even considered Keating - will see what I can find and start a new thread if I have anything promising.
England:

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 05:29 BST (UK) »
 :)  :) Margaret and James KEATING are the indexed names as parents for Thomas, born Kilmore.  The Vic bdm ref is 34861 in 1849.

Lucinda and Almira are listed as KEATING at Vic bdm (father as Jeffrey James),  and at NSW bdm too (father as Geoffrey and/or Jeffrey).  Sarah is also at NSW bdm under KEATING. 

Vic hived off from NSW in 1851.

JM

Online Jang

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Tuesday 27 July 21 06:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM, I checked and the mother is Margaret Deeves.

I guess Victoria was pretty chaotic around this time. From Michael Cannon (no relation!) in "Melbourne After the Goldrush" (p19):

"Edmund Finn claimed that fewer than fifty adult males remained in the city in Dec 1851." which is when Margaret Nelson married James Cannan. :-)

England: