Author Topic: James Thompson  (Read 1139 times)

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: James Thompson
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 31 July 21 09:38 BST (UK) »
Some very good finds by Boo ..  :)

Just a thought .. I recall that North Shields local studies has alphabetical card indexes of Evening Chronicle death notices from the 1970s to early 2000s. 
I am on nightshifts coming up but if you don't mind waiting until the backend of next week I could check these out to see if a notice may be there for James.
I am not sure if every year of the 70s is included but it might be worth a try - at least the quarter and death year seems to be already known - December quarter 1972.

https://my.northtyneside.gov.uk/category/1017/local-studies-and-information

Or if you are in a hurry if you ring or email them this morning you possibly may be able to find out straightaway.   Scroll down for contact info. :). They will be open til 1 pm, I think. 
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline corinthian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 31 July 21 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hello,

Thanks for that. At least I now know that 'Jim' was still alive in 1917 and that one of the brothers married a lady named Margaret. Also seems that brothers, Charles and Louis, who are not mentioned in the obituary, were probably deceased by the time of John's death.

Kind regards,

Coreen   

Offline corinthian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 31 July 21 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Boo that's amazing! River Tyne Lass that would be great if you could check to see if there is a notice for James. Thank you both so much and also to everyone else that has contributed to my plea for help.

Kind regards,

Coreen   

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Saturday 31 July 21 10:12 BST (UK) »
You are welcome!  :)Leave it with me then and I will see what I can find out at the back end of next week.  Will likely get back  by next Saturday at the latest.

The other siblings may not necessarily have been deceased by time of John's death.  I have instances in my own family history where only two or three of siblings are referenced in a memorial notice but I know that there were others very much alive.  For example when my Great Grandmother's sister died through flu after the Great War only one sister and one brother were mentioned.  My Great Grandmother very much alive at the other end of the country was not included nor were several other living siblings.
Perhaps it might have been  only the siblings who chipped in the cost or who had the idea of putting the notice in, who are mentioned in some instances?
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline corinthian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Saturday 31 July 21 10:16 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the heads up, hadn't thought of that. I have been unable to find a registration of death for brother Louis or Charles but maybe they emigrated and that's why they aren't mentioned.   

Offline corinthian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Saturday 31 July 21 10:43 BST (UK) »
Following on from previous updates I now think that James Thompson married Margaret Dodds on 04th or 10th July 1915 at St Nicholas, Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, England.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 31 July 21 12:00 BST (UK) »
I have managed to change my plans today and have made a detour to the North Shields Local Studies.

Unfortunately, although there are lots of James Thompsons in the card index boxes - these don't seem to go back to 1972.  :-\ It looks as though these indexes may have started at around 1977.
Oh well, it was worth a try.

Offline corinthian

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 31 July 21 12:03 BST (UK) »
Amazed that you would even make the effort. Thanks for your time.

Offline Tickettyboo

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 31 July 21 12:17 BST (UK) »
Following on from previous updates I now think that James Thompson married Margaret Dodds on 04th or 10th July 1915 at St Nicholas, Newcastle upon Tyne, Northumberland, England.

I looked at those records on Family Search and the 4th (which was a Sunday) is noted as being a 'marriage notice'. As the 10th was a Saturday, I'd guess the 4th was the 3rd reading of the Banns and they married the following Saturday.

Not sure if Newcastle Library have a microfilm for St Nicholas marriages for this time frame (RTL may know). Try sending in a look up request via the form here:

https://www.newcastle.gov.uk/services/libraries-culture/history-and-heritage/online-heritage-enquiries

Info such as ages, witness names etc may help you to confirm or deny this record?

Boo