Author Topic: Andrew Carey, Donaghadee, Down  (Read 689 times)

Offline Carolineej

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Andrew Carey, Donaghadee, Down
« on: Thursday 29 July 21 17:33 BST (UK) »
I am looking for any information about Andrew Carey, my 4th great grandfather. He was supposedly born on 14 Nov 1762 to Anthony Carey and Jane Wright in Donaghdee, and married Mary Anne Bigger (or Biggar) on 18 Feb 1791. They emigrated to Pennsylvania in 1793.

I would like to find out about his parents and siblings as well.

Mary Anne Biggar (1770-1842) was supposedly the daughter of Sarah Ponsonby (1748/50-?) and Joseph Bigger, and I would like information on them too! Sarah was supposedly the daughter of Sir John Ponsonby (1713-1787). I can find lots of information about John Ponsonby (Speak of the Irish House of Commons) and the majority of his children but nowhere can I find any information about Sarah. Or Joseph Bigger (from Carnmoney, Antrim), although there is information about the Biggers I'm not convinced they are the right ones. The Ponsonbys had estates in Co. Kilkenny (Bessborough House) but I don't know if they ever lived there.

Offline sam.b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Andrew Carey, Donaghadee, Down
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 29 July 21 20:34 BST (UK) »
Do you have any of these ?
Surname(s)   Graveyard   Civil Parish   Graveyard Location   County
CAREY   Donaghadee CI   Donaghadee   Donaghadee   Down
Gravestone Inscription   Erected by Andrew Carey in remembrance of his father Anthoney Carey late of D Dee who departed this life the 6th day of Janry 1809 aged 93 years.

CAREY   Donaghadee CI   Donaghadee   Donaghadee   Down
Gravestone Inscription   Erected by Andrew Carey in memory of his mother Jane Carey late of DDee who depd this life on the 6th of April 1812 aged 83 years.
Comment   [Beside the above]
CAREY, MURPHY   Donaghadee CI   Donaghadee   Donaghadee   Down
Gravestone Inscription   In memory of Mary Carey who died 28th March 1868 aged 96 years She honoured her Saviour by a long and consistent Christian walk and is now numbered with the Saints in glory everlasting The path of the just is as the shining light which shineth more and more unto the perfect day Agnes MURPHY died 7th December 1891 aged 77 years.

CAREY   Bangor Abbey   Bangor   Corporation   Down
Gravestone Inscription   Ad Gloriam Dei This stone bears record that James Albert Carey MA, Precentor of Down, and Rector of Bangor, 1916 - 1925, being careful of the ancient heritage of St Comgall, did inspire his people to renovate, replenish and restore to its fuller use this Abbey Church, in the year of Our Lord 1917 Having wrought well he entered into his eternal rest on the 20 June 1925.
Comment   [Small memorial tablet on the north wall of the nave]

Offline Carolineej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 29 July 21 21:31 BST (UK) »
Thank you for this - I've got the information about the inscriptions for the earlier ones from a book I found online called  'Ancestry of Samuel Stockton White D.D.S' written in 1888 so I wasn't sure how accurate it was. Where could I find the information you mention? Are the graves still there?

Offline sam.b

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 30 July 21 08:59 BST (UK) »
Inscriptions are from : https://www.ancestryireland.com/  (subscription site)
Not sure if the graves are still there.

Offline Carolineej

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 30 July 21 09:27 BST (UK) »
That looks a useful website. Thanks for the info, I had got rather confused by all the different places to look!

Offline lizcarrey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 08 February 24 15:47 GMT (UK) »
I would be interested to know how you know the precise date of birth etc of Andrew Carey - do you have a family bible with this information?
Did he have any children before he emigrated to USA with his wife? And is there any information on his brothers and sisters? What was his job?