Author Topic: Surname Changes from Sanders to Cox  (Read 1364 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Changes from Sanders to Cox
« Reply #18 on: Friday 06 August 21 08:17 BST (UK) »
I understand what you mean John but there are several names on that Newgate sheet so I still think it a tenuous link and unlikely.
However it would be good if it were so as it might solve part if the puzzle.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Surname Changes from Sanders to Cox
« Reply #19 on: Friday 06 August 21 13:50 BST (UK) »
A bit of a long shot & I can't see any connection or link to the name Cox, but Thomas & Amelia's first daughter was Fanny Elizabeth in 1882, and in December 1881 a Fanny Elizabeth Sanders married widower Frederick Hodgkinson in Leicester.  Her father was Thomas, a Farm Labourer.

In 1881 at Laxton Street, Leicester, lodging with a family named Brooker:
Fanny Sanders 25 single b Swinford, Leics
Thomas Sanders 22 single Shoe Riveter b Badby, Northampton

Thomas & Fanny can be traced back to Badby, parents Thomas & Elizabeth (nee Haynes), but I lose Thomas after the 1881 census. (NB FindMyPast has a death in Daventry in 1887 of someone of a Thomas Sanders aged 29, but the GRO has the age as 79).

From online trees Frederick Hodgkinson married again in London in 1890 as Frederick Thorpe Hodgkinson, widow, and died in 1894 in India.

In 1894 Fanny Elizabeth Hodgkinson married William Charles Bradford in Leicester. She's with him as his 'wife' in 1891, and they are on the 1901 census in Leicester along with her sister Emily Sanders and nephew Arthur Sanders.

Another sister, Mary Ann Sanders, married Tom Bennett Stopper in Leicester in 1888.

MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.