Author Topic: Harriet Chambers marriage  (Read 813 times)

Offline greasey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Harriet Chambers marriage
« on: Tuesday 03 August 21 08:45 BST (UK) »
I have the marriage certificate for my ancestor Harriet Chambers to Robert Best in the 13 Nov 1882 in Kirkleatham.  Why has she told the vicar that her father is John Harris, when he was her step father?  I have her birth certificate and she was the daughter of Levi Chambers and Harriet Bale's.  Levi died in Upsall mine in 1875 aged 40, and her mother Harriet Bale's married John Harris in 1876.  Shouldn't Harriet Chambers marriage certificate to Robert Best say Levi Chambers deceased?  John Harris was too young to be her father as Harriet was born in 1860 in Hornsea Yorkshire.  John Harris was born around 1849/50 in Cornwall and died aged 65 in 1915.  He was not living in Yorkshire terrier until the 1871 census.

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Harriet Chambers marriage
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 14:43 BST (UK) »
Firstly - the vicar is not really interested in the age of John Harris in relation to Harriet. 

They didn't ask a lot of questions back then as to the difference in surnames.  For all he knew - she could have been the illegitimate dtr of Miss Chambers & Mr Harris.  They pretty much accepted the info they were given
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 15:06 BST (UK) »
Can't see a marriage for Levi & Harriet.  1861 shows both born Norfolk & Harriet is 1yr old - birth registered March qtr 1860.  Can't see them in 1871
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 03 August 21 17:02 BST (UK) »
If she had named Levi as her father it did not have to state he was deceased.   She obviously considered that John Harris was her father at the time she got married. 
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk