Author Topic: Finding births pre 1837  (Read 872 times)

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Finding births pre 1837
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 30 September 23 12:17 BST (UK) »
I also know that Louisa has a sister named Sarah who is approximately four years younger than her. This Sarah has been “adopted “ by the Evitt family in London.

George EVETT and Jane MASLIN didn't marry until 1838.   Jane is recorded as a spinster and was in her early to mid thirties so it seems that Louisa and Sarah would have been her children born before the marriage. George was aged about 40 when they married so I wouldn't be surprised if either or both were telling fibs about not being previously married.

Amelia is George and Jane's daughter together.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQJV-N1Q

EVETT, AMELIA
Mother's maiden surname: MASLIN     
GRO Reference: 1838  J Quarter in HOLBORN UNION - MIDDLESEX  Volume 02  Page 147

In 1851 George EVETT is a greengrocer so I have no doubt that he is the person that Louisa is referring to as her father when she married, with a minor adjustment of the surname.

Debra  :)

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 01 October 23 00:39 BST (UK) »
From a previous thread by Miggs191
It’s taken three years ! But I now know that Sarah Grace was on her third marriage when she married William Grace in Devizes. Prior to that it was Richard Chandler ( married in St Pancras London ) and prior to that Richard Sissons but strangely she gives her father’s name as Richard Mortimore batchelor ! When Richard Sissons dies  in 1835 both she and Louisa are clearly named in a will. By the time it is settled she has already married the next one !
I’m now wondering if her mother was Maslen and she was base born or Mortimore was really her maiden name and she married into the Maslen family. I’ll probably never be able to work it out but if any one can shed any light I’d be very grateful.

When Sarah the aunt made her first marriage in 1823 2 to Richard SISSONS, the image shows she had the surname MASLIN. She was a spinster. So that was her birth name.

The witnesses were Richard MASLIN and Jane MASLIN and possibly another Richard HOOKER?
EDIT Debra has this as Richard COOPER.

Above we see that Debra gives the marriage of Sarah's sister Jane as she married EVETT and her maiden surname was also MASLIN.

Therefore Jane had not previously been married to anyone MASLIN, but had daughters outside marriage whose surname was MASLIN. Is that right or not?

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 01 October 23 05:44 BST (UK) »
I really don't know what recorded information you hold, but for your interest.

Sarah Maslen EVITT was baptized in 1843 with a birthdate given of 27 Oct 1831. She is stated daughter of George and Jane

SARAH Maslen EVETT. Daugter of George, a porter and Jane of Titterton Terrace. St Mary Islington.

Amelia was done at the same time. With a birth date of March 1838.

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Online Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 02 October 23 11:07 BST (UK) »
In 1851 Jane EVETT states that she is aged 48 and born in St James, Westminster.  In 1841 her age is 40, and there is a baptism that could be her. When she married she said her father's name was John.

Jane MASLIN
Birth Date    11 Dec 1798
Baptism Date    19 Mar 1799
Baptism Place    St James, Piccadilly (St James, Westminster), London, Westminster, England
Father    John MASLIN
Mother    Elizabeth MASLIN

It is indexed as MARTIN on Ancestry but the image shows MASLIN.

Debra  :)