Author Topic: Nice surprise  (Read 336 times)

Offline iluleah

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Zeya who has a plastic bag fetish
    • View Profile
Nice surprise
« on: Wednesday 04 August 21 14:56 BST (UK) »
I decided to research siblings of my direct ancestors and found one sister of my great grandmother who had a difficult life, she had tried to commit suicide which was a crime at that time in history and thanks to several members of rootchat who also found newspaper clipping giving  some of her story, she eventually ended up in an asylum where she died. 

Which lead me to want to know more about the history of mental health so when I found the "Leicestershire & Rutland Heritage of Mental Health" http://www.studymore.org.uk/heritage.pdf it was about a different county however it interested me as I could relate to the asylums/hospitals  named as I knew the names of them and where they were  and I am also researching in both Rutland and Leicester.

Great reading and when I got to Chapter 6 I was drawn to a photo of a lady only to read her name ( which I didn't recognise) below it said when she was admitted and when and what she died of....so starting with her I researched her back and into my Chamberlain line and she turns out to be my second cousin, three times removed.
Leicestershire:Chamberlain, Dakin, Wilkinson, Moss, Cook, Welland, Dobson, Roper,Palfreman, Squires, Hames, Goddard, Topliss, Twells,Bacon.
Northamps:Sykes, Harris, Rice,Knowles.
Rutland:Clements, Dalby, Osbourne, Durance, Smith,Christian, Royce, Richardson,Oakham, Dewey,Newbold,Cox,Chamberlaine,Brow, Cooper, Bloodworth,Clarke
Durham/Yorks:Woodend, Watson,Parker, Dowser
Suffolk/Norfolk:Groom, Coleman, Kemp, Barnard, Alden,Blomfield,Smith,Howes,Knight,Kett,Fryston
Lincolnshire:Clements, Woodend