Author Topic: Assistance needed..Elizabeth Kelly born Castlereagh 1927  (Read 2660 times)

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Assistance needed..Elizabeth Kelly born Castlereagh 1927
« Reply #27 on: Saturday 07 August 21 14:31 BST (UK) »
Thanks Maiden Stone, I was hoping for your input.
I too assumed Bernard/Brian was the same person. (We have that in our family).

It does seem odd that there is that transition in occupation and why I asked re the birth certificate.
The rest fits - DNA contacts/initials on marriage report but it would be best to check.

Added - thanks to Elwyn too.
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #28 on: Saturday 07 August 21 14:41 BST (UK) »

It does seem odd that there is that transition in occupation and why I asked re the birth certificate.
The rest fits - DNA contacts/initials on marriage report but it would be best to check.

It occurred to me after I posted that "Labourer" may have been a clerical error, copying Michael's father's occupation. I added a postscript.
Would the church marriage register be identical?
Cowban

Offline heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #29 on: Saturday 07 August 21 14:50 BST (UK) »
I mentioned that earlier too re Michael being a labourer  ;)

Kylie,
Does your DNA Match link definitely to a Masterson/Loftus child?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #30 on: Saturday 07 August 21 14:53 BST (UK) »

Not necessarily for an RC ceremony. The format of their registers was slightly different (in contrast to say the Church of Ireland registers which follow the standard format used in England and by Registrars). An RC marriage register in the 1920s would usually have the mothers’ names, for example, and often the parents townlands.  But that register won’t be on-line. The only copy is probably still held by the parish. So you would need to contact the parochial office to get a copy.
Elwyn

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: Saturday 07 August 21 15:35 BST (UK) »

Information about Catherine's marriage should have been noted in her baptism register ("Ne temere" decree on marriage for all marriages of practising Catholics in Catholic churches after Easter 1908). It wasn't always done. Some baptism registers didn't have space for extra notes.

An advantage of young single Irish people leaving home for work was that it increased chances of meeting potential spouses. The spouse was less likely to be someone already related. S/he was more likely to be freely chosen rather than an arranged marriage.
It was people marrying far away from their birthplaces, many in other countries, which led the Catholic Church to issue the instructions in "Ne temere", in order to prevent clandestine marriages.   
Cowban

Offline Kylie Watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: Saturday 07 August 21 15:53 BST (UK) »
Yes, absolutely. We have at least 6 direct descendants of the Masterson/Loftus union. We now also have one confirmed DNA match with Elizabeth Kelly that is of a rather close DNA match which also links to the Masterson/Loftus matches.

I mentioned that earlier too re Michael being a labourer  ;)

Kylie,
Does your DNA Match link definitely to a Masterson/Loftus child?

Offline Kylie Watson

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #33 on: Saturday 07 August 21 15:58 BST (UK) »
All very good points to make, which I am seeking to either confirm or deny. Thanks so much for offering your advice in this matter.

Is this the Masterson/Loftus family you have?
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Mayo/Corraun_Achill/Tonregee__East/1603415/
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Mayo/Corraun/Tonregee__East/745035/

The birth of that Catherine
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1893/02301/1862927.pdf

However her father is a Shoemaker (and farmer in the census) but Catherine’s father, Patrick on her marriage is a Labourer.

Also, similar to Maiden Stone with regard to work, my mother in law, raised close to Achill, was in service in Cloonfad, Roscommon in the 1920s.

He is described as a shoemaker on his death in 1923
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1923/05043/4380126.pdf

And Ellen is described as a Farmer’s wife on her death in 1935
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/deaths_returns/deaths_1935/04828/4301159.pdf

Shoemaking + farming seem to have been Patrick's consistent occupations. Shoemaking was a skill. He probably learned young. Being a farmer was a settled occupation. Income from shoemaking would have supplemented that from the farm. It doesn't sit right with me that a man who was a farmer and had a skill would temporarily switch to being a labourer in old age and that his daughter would put labourer as his occupation when she married. In my experience of family history research, people were more likely to increase the status of their fathers on marriage certificates, not minimise it.
Speaking personally, an ancestor was a shoemaker (cordwainer on his marriage certificate, a skilled maker of good quality footwear). I'm a daughter, granddaughter, great-granddaughter &c of farmers. Being a farmer and landholder had a status, no matter how small the farm or how poor the family. They may have been labourers as young men (the Irish ones working in England) but once they'd taken over farms they were farmers or landholders, even if they had to supplement their income with other work. Struggles for occupation and ownership of land in Ireland were crucial in Irish history. If I'd been Catherine, I would have said my dad was a farmer or a shoemaker, even if he was temporarily working as a labourer. *

Looking again at census returns for household of Patrick Masterson, shoemaker, I noticed that, in the read & write column, 7 year-old Catherine could read on 1901 census but 18 year-old Catherine on 1911 census couldn't read or write.  :-\ Her 14 year-old sister was a scholar in 1911. Most children would have left school by that age. I wonder what she did in later life?

Do you think that Brian, informant of Ellen's death in 1935, was Bernard on 1901 & 1911 census?

If Catherine's father was a labourer, he may have travelled to get work.

*Added. "Labourer" for Catherine's father's occupation may have been a clerical error. Michael's father was a labourer.

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #34 on: Sunday 08 August 21 14:29 BST (UK) »
I am hoping it is okay to post on here. I am trying to track down the names of a person's parents and/or siblings.

The name is Elizabeth Kelly. Elizabeth was born in 1927 in Castlereagh, County Roscommon, Ireland. Elizabeth migrated to Australia and married in 1951. At the time of her marriage, a newspaper article was printed citing the names of her parents as "Mrs C Kelly" and "the late Mr M Kelly".

According to the report of Elizabeth's marriage she was 3rd daughter. If that is correct there should be births of 2 females 1921-1926. If they survived and remained and married in Castlerea before 1950 the marriages should be on Irish Genealogy website.
If Michael died in Ireland his death registration should be on there too. He may have died in a hospital or other institution. Difficult with the surname Kelly + unknown age and year. He may have died outside Ireland. People went to Britain to work. Irish people could apply for work and travel permits during World War 2 because of the need for workers in Britain in essential jobs. My family got a permit for a cousin from Ireland to work on the farm. Pre WW2 there was no need for documentation; people continued to move between Ireland and Britain at will, as they had done for centuries.
Marriages and deaths may have been in local newspapers. Roscommon County Libraries have copies of newspapers. www.roscommoncoco.ie/en/

Irish Graveyards
https://www.irishgraveyards.ie
Viewing map, it doesn't look as though any graveyards in Roscommon have been done yet.
Some people are in unmarked graves as not every family could afford a headstone.
Cowban