Author Topic: William Parker b.1828 Tooting - looking for parents and their parents  (Read 1031 times)

Offline rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: William Parker b.1828 Tooting - looking for parents and their parents
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 08 August 21 15:33 BST (UK) »
Do you have the marriage certificate for William and Harriett

ADDED Do you have any other Australian documents that give details of Williams parents
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 09 August 21 00:22 BST (UK) »
Silly possum, I think you need to look carefully at the facts you have, and not at the assumptions made by past researchers. There could be errors somewhere that are throwing you off the track.

I note that the Shipping /immigration record says William came from Kent (not Surrey) and was a labourer.

The 1851 census record you have where he is a teacher may not be correct. Since he was in the Channel Islands to marry in 1853, have you considered the 1851 census record of William Parker (born 1828 England) on Jersey, St Helier. 

What are the complete details from the 1853 Guernsey marriage record? – this has already been asked but remains un-answered. The marriage record would be your most important document for information about William.

Do you have the birth record for 1st child, Wiliam George Parker born Jan 1854 Guernsey. What information does it have about his father William?

Why do you think that William’s mother is Sarah nee Baker? Where did that information come from?

Australian records have a good deal of family information. What birth records do you have for William’s children in Victoria, and what information does it give about William.

How do you know William had a brother named James? Did James also go to Australia too?

Have you looked for this family at AIGS? http://aigs.org.au
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Clark – Faulds – Cuthbertson – Bryson – Wilson: (Ayrshire & Renfrewshire)
Neale – Cater – Kinder - Harrison: (Warwickshire & Queensland)
Roberts - Spry: (Cornwall, Middlesex & Queensland)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 09 August 21 02:51 BST (UK) »
I have found William Parker (a GARDENER) and wife Sarah in the 1841 census living in upper Tooting / Streatham Surrey.
William is 40 and Sarah is 35 (remember the ages at this census were rounded down to nearest 5).
Neither are born in the county of Surrey.
Others in the same abode appear to be the Crockett (or Cockett) family and Dover family.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQKW-73X
IF these are the correct parents for your William, this will be them I think.

A possible 1841 census for the sister Maria Parker (born 1830) - in some kind of institution / school for girls in St Giles Camberwell, Brixton. 12 years old – a pupil.
https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:MQK6-GQP
Milligan - Jardine – Glencross – Dinwoodie - Brown: (Dumfriesshire & Kirkcudbrightshire)
Munster: (Schleswig-Holstein & Queensland) and Plate: (Braunschweig, Neubruck & Queensland & New York)

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 09 August 21 02:52 BST (UK) »
Silly possum, I think you need to look carefully at the facts you have, and not at the assumptions made by past researchers. There could be errors somewhere that are throwing you off the track.

I note that the Shipping /immigration record says William came from Kent (not Surrey) and was a labourer.

The 1851 census record you have where he is a teacher may not be correct. Since he was in the Channel Islands to marry in 1853, have you considered the 1851 census record of William Parker (born 1828 England) on Jersey, St Helier. 

What are the complete details from the 1853 Guernsey marriage record? – this has already been asked but remains un-answered. The marriage record would be your most important document for information about William.

Do you have the birth record for 1st child, Wiliam George Parker born Jan 1854 Guernsey. What information does it have about his father William?

Why do you think that William’s mother is Sarah nee Baker? Where did that information come from?

Australian records have a good deal of family information. What birth records do you have for William’s children in Victoria, and what information does it give about William.

How do you know William had a brother named James? Did James also go to Australia too?

Have you looked for this family at AIGS? http://aigs.org.au

Afraid I agree with this entirely.  Someone born Tooting, Surrey who in 1851 seems pretty well educated is unlikely to go to Australia as a labourer and state they were born in Kent!

Agree we need to know all the details that are on his marriage certificate to have a clearer picture, confirmation of his fathers name, his occupation at that time, etc.   Without something concrete to go on it's all guesswork.

Annette
Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Monday 09 August 21 03:47 BST (UK) »
Hi,
You have not made it quite clear whether or not you have the man's Victorian death certificate.

If not, this is what you may expect to find on it if the informant was knowledgeable about the deceased.
The cost is around $20 and is immediate download after online payment.

Name
Date
Death place
Cause of death
Parents' names
Spouse names
Marriage details
Chns names
No of chn
Birthplace

Scroll down-  Select the $20 option
https://www.bdm.vic.gov.au/research-and-family-history/search-your-family-history

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 09 August 21 03:59 BST (UK) »
I have now seen the death cert, but I cannot upload here are it is "look-up requests" only.
William Parker died 7 June 1913, 84 yrs, a retired artist and photographer.
Born Tooting Surrey England. 56 years in Victoria
Father is recorded as William Parker, professional gardener. Mother is Sarah Parker mn Baker.
Informant is son: H E Parker.
Long list of children are named (difficult to read) - but I won't transcribe here.

[Sillypossum might like to have this moved to the Surrey boards so items can be uploaded.]

Offline sparrett

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 09 August 21 04:05 BST (UK) »

Yes. Kent is quite clear.
Adding to this sighting, the family are listed as heading to Dunolly 'with friends' which probably means going to friends already there.

The living chn are listed in his 1913 death notice.
https://trove.nla.gov.au/newspaper/article/10790823

Sue
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Neale1961

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Monday 09 August 21 04:26 BST (UK) »
Adding to this sighting, the family are listed as heading to Dunolly 'with friends' which probably means going to friends already there.
They were going to join the Hansford family, the family of William’s wife.

A William Parker photo
https://collection.maas.museum/object/9956