Author Topic: Mid 18th century marriage for Tansley in Cottingham  (Read 1545 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
Mid 18th century marriage for Tansley in Cottingham
« on: Monday 09 August 21 14:02 BST (UK) »
I am trying to verify the marriage of one of the daughters of William Tansley and Ann Hubbard.

Catherine (also known as Catharine Tansly) was baptised in Cottingham on July 22nd 1723.

The Alan Clark transcription indexes lists two possibles:

1. In Harringworth September 20th 1747 to ?? Spriggs of Cottingham by licence.
2. In Cottingham January 25 1769 to Thomas Holley of Wilbarston

I have been unable to find any other verification for the first one although at her age of 24 years I would have thought it to be the more likely.

There is a rather curious coincidence with the second one. By that date Catherine would have been 46 years old. The coincidence occurs on the Cottingham Parish Registers as presented on Ancestry. This marriage is first on the page. At position number 2 is the marriage of widower James West to widow Lucy Smeeton. Lucy was Catherine's sister whose husband Thomas had died in 1763.

Is it just possible that this was also Catherine's second marriage and she was entered under her maiden name?

Thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline PaulineJ

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Mid 18th century marriage for Tansley in Cottingham
« Reply #1 on: Monday 09 August 21 14:54 BST (UK) »
Did you look for any kids b to Thos Holley & Catherine?
Human biology should rule that one out of she had (many) kids.
All census look up transcriptions are Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/
======================================
We are not a search engine. We are human beings.

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 09 August 21 15:03 BST (UK) »
Thomas & Catherine did have kids, including William Holley in 1775. I think this Catherine is probably the one born in 1745 to Thomas & Sarah Tansley in Cottingham.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 09 August 21 15:08 BST (UK) »
I have found the image for the first marriage. It is indexed on Ancestry as 'Catherine Fantley.'

'Robert Spriggs & Catherine Tansley, both of Cottingham in the parish of Northampton, married per Licence, September 20th 1747.' The marriage took place in Harrington.

I see why they transcribed it as Fantley but I think it looks more like Tansley.

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 09 August 21 15:18 BST (UK) »
Many thanks Queenie

That makes sense.
In the interim, I did confirm the second marriage of Thomas Holley tp Catherine Tansley - Catherine being the daughter of Thomas Tansley and Sarah Scott. Thomas Tansley was the older brother (by about three years) of Catherine (i now now) married Robert Spriggs.

Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 09 August 21 18:04 BST (UK) »
I've been trying to follow up on Robert Spriggs and Catherine Tansley. The indexes show two children baptised in Cottingham (Elizabeth: September 3rd 1749; Robert June 12th 1752) but none after that date.

There is a burial record for Cottingham December 17th 1751 for a Catharine Spriggs. Given that she married with the name Catharine Tansley I would think it's a better than evens chance this was Robert's wife and could well have been as a result of childbirth.

Alan