Author Topic: Henry Wellham abt 1842 Pimlico  (Read 4200 times)

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Henry Wellham abt 1842 Pimlico
« Reply #18 on: Thursday 12 August 21 23:46 BST (UK) »
Potentially, John Cloid Welham + Julia Annie Williams, married March qtr 1855, Poplar.

Well that's certain
There's a petition for divorce in 1864. That was unexpected!
It's on ancestry.
Not sure what happened next, but it may explain why J C said he was unmarried in 1871 (it is him on the Goliath) and I guess makes it rather less likely that the Julia died 1870 in Dartford RD is the lady he married in 1855. Though you never know.
I think I'll leave Julia now ;D

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 13 August 21 01:20 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the census info Jomot although I think the child Henry aged 8 months at Westmorland Street may be the child I requested a birth certificate for, a few years ago. This child, Henry Welham was a son of a butcher, the GRO Reference 1840 Dec Qtr Shoreditch Vol 2 Page 400 - mother's maiden name Griffiths.

This seems likely to be the son of Robert WELHAM and Ann GRIFFITHS, baptised in 1841 and died later that year, both events at Shoreditch.

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 13 August 21 03:22 BST (UK) »
Just some connections.  John and Ann's daughter Margaret married firstly to George McADAMS (MACKADAM) in 1849 and secondly to Richard BRITTON in Dec 1861.  One of the witnesses at the second marriage was John SELF who also witnessed the marriage of Henry and Julia (he doesn't appear to be a 'serial witness'), the other witness for Henry and Julia was Margaret BRITTON.  The marriages were 8 months apart at the same church.  Margaret was not yet a BRITTON but in the 1861 census she is already with Richard and her father in law George MACKADAM.

I am quite sure that this is the correct Margaret and she is fibbing about her age on census records.  In 1841 she is aged 15 which means anywhere beween 15 and 19.  In 1851 she is 23 and in 1861 she is recorded as 29.  Added to that, they have their niece Nancy AYRES (daughter of sister Emma) staying with them in 1871.

Debra  :)

Offline Yvonne Ellis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Friday 13 August 21 19:01 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thank you both (John & Debra) for all the information you have found so far.  I think you may be right John about the death reg. for Mary Ann Pell 1883, I look at it as ruling it out as much as in, this family is the most problematic I've ever researched. 

I always check for a birth registration (even after finding baptism records) and most of the time I can find a match.  Henry Wellham abt. 1842 (1841 census) and abt.1839 (1871 census) is proving to be a challenge.  I also cannot find a birth registration for Emma Delaney (residing with Wm. and John Spencer 1861).  I have found a few Delaney births where the mother's maiden name was Welham/Wellham but nothing for an Emma. 

The marriage of Michael Delaney and Catherine Wellham is the only marriage registration I can find via FreeBMD - the fact that the father is recorded as Joseph Wellham and a Carman, as you say may be an error.  I had a quick look for a Joseph Wellham - Carman in the 1841 Census but nothing matched.

Thank you, Debra, for the information re. Margaret Wellham. I honestly have never considered people being 'serial witnesses'!  The fact that sister Emma's daughter is with them in 1871 seems to suggest you have the right Margaret Wellham.

I can now add quite a lot of information to my family tree (even if tentatively for now) so often we find 'lost' relatives in places with extended family.

With much gratitude, Yvonne :)

Offline Yvonne Ellis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Tuesday 17 August 21 00:19 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Quick update re. WHELAN,  -      - 
GRO Reference: 1840  D Quarter in ST GILES IN THE FIELDS & ST GEORGE BLOOMSBURY  Volume 01  Page 74

15th November 1840 - Male Whelan (no forename recorded) son of Michael Whelan (Stone Polisher) and Ellen Whelan
Informant - Eliz. M Bridge Matron, British Lying-in Hospital.

I really was hoping that this might be the elusive Henry Wellham I've been searching for, as stated previously the Wellham/Welham surname is transcribed in so many different ways, I thought this registration was worth a shot, no such luck though :(

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Wednesday 18 August 21 11:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
Sorry about that.
Perhaps Henry's birth wasn't registered? Quite a few were missed in the early years of civil registration. And, if he was illegitimate, possibly the mother was less likely to come forward.

In the 1851 census Henry's place of birth was Hampstead, but in 1871 it was Pimlico. Which confuses matters. Mary wasn't at home with her family in 1841, and we don't really know for sure where she was.
And we haven't found a baptism of Henry either :(
John

Offline Jomot

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Wednesday 18 August 21 14:08 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this has been ruled out already:

Adult baptism 15 Oct 1856, St Jude, Chelsea:
Henry s/o Charles & Mary Ann Welham (crossings out after Mary Ann's name), 76 George Street, Labourer. Born 13 May 1841(?)

I'm really not sure about that YoB and it's probably just wishful thinking, but I note that George Street was also the address for the Thomas Pell/Mary Williams marriage in 1854.
MORGAN: Glamorgan, Durham, Ohio. DAVIS/DAVIES/DAVID: Glamorgan, Ohio.  GIBSON: Leicestershire, Durham, North Yorkshire.  RAIN/RAINE: Cumberland.  TAYLOR: North Yorks. BOURDAS: North Yorks. JEFFREYS: Worcestershire & Northumberland. FORBES: Berwickshire, CHEESMOND: Durham/Northumberland. WINTER: Durham/Northumberland. SNOWBALL: Durham.

Offline jonw65

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Wednesday 18 August 21 14:48 BST (UK) »
That's a terrific find, Jomot  :)
I agree that the year of birth is unclear, but fingers crossed it is our chap.

Offline Yvonne Ellis

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Wednesday 18 August 21 19:45 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Apologies for a long post again - thank you both for your help.  I had seen the 'adult' baptism for Henry Welham in the LMA via Ancestry (I'm just getting used to using that resource), but I had discounted it as the father's name was Charles. I hadn't associated the address with the Thomas Pell marriage mentioned earlier, so thank you Jomot for spotting that :) If this is the Henry Welham I've been searching for could the father's name on Henry's marriage details be an error do you think? 

In the meantime, I've received the death reg. details for Mary Ann Pell -

15th Jan 1883 - 67 King Street - Mary Ann Pell 72 - Widow of John Pell, carpenter.  Informant Gregory Bartlett, brother, present at the death, High St. Dulwich.

You were right John, this indeed turned out to be the Mary Ann Pell (Dulwich) who was married to John Pell, 7th June 1859 St. Mary Magdelene, Woolwich.

Going back to the information on the adult baptism record, I cannot find a marriage in the London Metropolitan Archives for Charles Welham/Wellham and Mary Ann? (surname unknown) before 1841.  I did a quick search in FreeBMD marriages, the only marriage I found was for Charles Whelam & Mary Ann Cole 1841 Mar Qtr Lexden & co Vol 12 Page 159. If the couple married earlier then of course FreeBMD will be of no help.

My next query is - If Charles and Mary Ann Welham are actually Henry's parents how does that fit in with the couple John and Ann Welham (formerly Kuneman) living in 15 Union Place, Chelsea (1851 census)?  As we know Mary Ann Pell (Henry's mother) had Henry's daughter lodging with her when the 1881 census was taken and they were living at 15 Union Place. 

I thought that maybe John & Ann Welham might have actually been Henry's grandparents.  It is so frustrating not to be able to find a birth registration for Henry.

Having the same information, I'd be interested to hear any conclusions at this point :)