Author Topic: Marriage of John Davies and Sarah Jane Bumford Tredegar Registry Office  (Read 1751 times)

Offline Toast2021

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Marriage of John Davies and Sarah Jane Bumford Tredegar Registry Office
« Reply #9 on: Thursday 12 August 21 21:40 BST (UK) »
Mabel, of course!  I don't know why I was reading it as 1868, I'm going to blame it on eye strain  ;D

It really does make sense now, and I really would be surprised now if that 'wasn't' him!

Offline Mabel Bagshawe

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Thursday 12 August 21 21:53 BST (UK) »
I think we are on the right tracks. I've just found some  records for Susan Rudd, nee Davies, b Rhymney  1887. In 1911, WWI and 1939 she's living in various houses in Clarendon Row

Offline Toast2021

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Thursday 12 August 21 21:58 BST (UK) »
Oh this is exiting.  I feel validated!  ;D

I've been researching family history on and off since about 1985, with the help of maternal grandparents and their generation.  Digitised records coming along was amazing.  I had always put off researching my fathers Davies line, not up for the challenge of searching for Davies in Wales!

I'm glad that I have finally started it now and that I'm getting somewhere.  Help here is invaluable!

Offline Toast2021

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 12 September 21 22:10 BST (UK) »
I know that this is an ask, if anyone has an ancestry subscription,  would it be at all possible that you could take a look at this page of an 'army' record (he didn't make the army, he was too short for that and was militia and kicked out as useless).  The box which asks for wife's details... Sarah Jane Bumford, (I *think* that this was her maiden name, and I have identified rather a lot of children of this particular couple that I didn't know about, with MMS as Bumford - I'm just awaiting the records from the GRO) also has another name crossed out.. which might be her previous married name... she is on this record as a widow.  It looks like it could be Williams, but I'm not sure...

Thanks in advance.
https://www.ancestry.co.uk/imageviewer/collections/1114/images/miuk1914a_084122-00944?treeid=&personid=&hintid=&queryId=5894d2cf5ee1aae3094176025638f3f5&usePUB=true&_phsrc=CtZ17&_phstart=successSource&usePUBJs=true&_ga=2.5441459.1487775958.1631285703-1612156030.1631285703&pId=196537

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 12 September 21 22:22 BST (UK) »
The name William is crossed out.  Wife’s previous name is Sarah Jane Bumford, married at Tredegar Registry Office as witnessed by John Evans and William Davies.

Children named are
John Morgan 12 Feb 1897
Francis 12 Feb 1900
Beatrice May 31 May 1903

All born Rhymney, registered at Tredegar, John Morgan not baptised, younger two baptised at Bryn Sion, Rhymney

added: wife's address at time of enlistment was 18 Clarendon Road, Rhymney

Reading back (which I didn't do before) I notice you have the above info.  Here's a snip

Offline Toast2021

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 12 September 21 22:32 BST (UK) »
Thank you so much..  I had picked up those particular three children,  there were many more,  I wonder why He only listed those three!?  I have struggled to find a birth for John Morgan, but have picked the most likely in 'Bedwellty' and am waiting for the record.  I hadn't picked up the baptisms for Francis (though I have his birth certificate) or Beatrice May (waiting for her birth certificate). Would you be able to post a link for the baptisms of Francis and Beatrice May?  Again, thank you so much for looking. This site is so wonderful and everyone is so willing and giving.  He says he was married at Tredegar Registry Office, but I have found no record of this marriage so far.  I think that he flitted between the name John and William and was likely John William Davies.

That family seemed to flit about in various houses on Clarendon Row.

Thanks again!

added - John Morgan Davies is described as 'mentally deficient' in one record and also the most violent man the police have ever had to deal with. He and his brother Francis appear to have been 'career criminals', their father 'John', the same.  There are so many newspaper reports, court/gaol records it's hard to keep up.  Their shenanigans,  (though I think John Morgan Davies was a monster) are very well recored in the news.  I'm hoping for going back further to find something redeeming about the Davies family form Monmouthshire.

Offline Toast2021

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 28 November 21 21:45 GMT (UK) »
Thought that add a quick post to update a little, in case anyone else is ever searching for the same family.  I'll update more when I receive a GRO certificate...

Sarah Jane Bumford (Bumford variously spelled as Burnford, Bunford, Mumford etc).

Father John, Mother Mary.

Had a son D. Bumford - I initially found him on her death certificate as the informant.  Found him living with her parents aged 7 in 1891.

William Davies was her first husband (m 1886 under Mumford - waiting for marriage cert). 
Children:
Susanna - 1887 - 1951
Sarah Jane  and Rachel Ann - 1890. (twins)
William Garfield - 1892 - 1918

Then she remarries, as a widow, to John Davies in 1896 and has another six children.

She died in Rhymney.  24 Dec 1927

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 28 November 21 22:54 GMT (UK) »
I had picked up those particular three children,  there were many more,  I wonder why He only listed those three!? 

There were only four children to the relationship still alive in 1911 (I suspect they have included William in that count).  The three children named would have been those at home and dependant in 1914.

Debra  :)

Offline Littlewoods

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 06 April 24 18:16 BST (UK) »
Looking for information on Susan/Susanna Davies born 1887  daughter of Sarah Jane Bumford and John Davies. The Susan Davies in question married Thomas Alfred Rudd in Bedwellty 1909 any help appreciated. Thanks