Author Topic: Richard OLIVER in Northumberland  (Read 1225 times)

Offline Uff Da

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Richard OLIVER in Northumberland
« on: Thursday 12 August 21 04:04 BST (UK) »
Hello.  This is my first post, so please excuse and correct me if I don't do this right!  Thank you!

My g-g-g grandfather, Richard Oliver, immigrated to the US around the year 1861 from Northumberland.  My records indicate that he was born Apr 1836 in Shilbottle, the son of George and Ann (possibly Scott?).  I have found the following records for him: Baptism (22 May 1836 in Shilbottle), 1841 Census (residing in Shilbottle), and 1851 Census (residing in Guyzance).

I am interested in finding a marriage record for he and his wife, Elisabeth Thompson.  It likely took place between 1858 and 1861.

I am also interested in any other information for Richard Oliver and his family.  I believe they were coal miners, as that is the occupation they followed once emigrating to the US.

I very much appreciate any assistance.  Thank you!

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Richard OLIVER in Northumberland
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 August 21 11:21 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

No marriage to surname Thompson - could they have married in America?

There is this marriage - Richards father was George

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NNJ1-WP1

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 August 21 12:09 BST (UK) »
Can't see a marriage of Richard. Looking at the GRO index it looks like his mother was nee GUTHRIE not SCOTT.
Census records have his father George as an Ag Lab but in the baptism records he says he is a Farm Steward.

Birth q2 1842 (blank male) OLIVER mmn GUTHRIE Alnwick 25 226
Birth q1 1844 Margaret OLIVER  mmn GUTHRIE Alnwick 25 241
 Baptism Aaron OLIVER 18 jun 1842 at Shilbottle father George, Farm Steward, mother Ann. abode Hazon High House

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 12 August 21 12:21 BST (UK) »

Online Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 12 August 21 12:26 BST (UK) »
A warm welcome to Rootschat from me too.

I wonder if this is him in the 1861 census, recorded as an unmarried railway stoker living in Gateshead. It is certainly worth looking at the original as while the transcript has his place of birth as Headon, Northumberland it seems to me that the name is actually Heazon. This is remarkably close to the abode given in the baptism quoted by Spelk.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7XG-C2G

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Comberton

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 12 August 21 13:07 BST (UK) »
From 1841 census, there is a daughter Mary b 1830
Baptism
10th October 1830 Alwinton
Mary Ann Oliver
parents
George Oliver of Harbottle Stead labourer
Ann Guthery ?? of Borrowton spinster
transcribed as Gethery
George b1833 baptised at Shilbottle, Hazon High House, farm steward

Offline Uff Da

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 13 August 21 00:41 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

No marriage to surname Thompson - could they have married in America?

There is this marriage - Richards father was George

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:NNJ1-WP1

Thank you so much for helping me!

I am certain it is Thompson, and not Carn as listed in the Family Search link, because Elisabeth's maiden name is listed on a few of her American records.  I had expected them to be married in England, because the first two children's US census records lists them as being born in England.  But I have found birthplaces to be prone to error in some US census.

Thank you again!

Can't see a marriage of Richard. Looking at the GRO index it looks like his mother was nee GUTHRIE not SCOTT.
Census records have his father George as an Ag Lab but in the baptism records he says he is a Farm Steward.

Birth q2 1842 (blank male) OLIVER mmn GUTHRIE Alnwick 25 226
Birth q1 1844 Margaret OLIVER  mmn GUTHRIE Alnwick 25 241
 Baptism Aaron OLIVER 18 jun 1842 at Shilbottle father George, Farm Steward, mother Ann. abode Hazon High House

Thank you for helping me!  Yes, the Guthrie records look much more accurate than the record I had found for Ann Scott.  I'm thrilled to have this info!

www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7WD-8H6
www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:SGXQ-H7D
www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7VG-XZ5

Death
George Oliver 79
Jun 1865 Morpeth

Thank you for helping me!  The 1841 and 1851 census match what I have, as does the death info for George Oliver!  Glad to have the confirmation, thank you.

From 1841 census, there is a daughter Mary b 1830
Baptism
10th October 1830 Alwinton
Mary Ann Oliver
parents
George Oliver of Harbottle Stead labourer
Ann Guthery ?? of Borrowton spinster
transcribed as Gethery
George b1833 baptised at Shilbottle, Hazon High House, farm steward

Very helpful information.  Thank you so much!

A warm welcome to Rootschat from me too.

I wonder if this is him in the 1861 census, recorded as an unmarried railway stoker living in Gateshead. It is certainly worth looking at the original as while the transcript has his place of birth as Headon, Northumberland it seems to me that the name is actually Heazon. This is remarkably close to the abode given in the baptism quoted by Spelk.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:M7XG-C2G

William

Thank you so much for helping me!  It is possible this is my Richard Oliver, but I'm not sure.  One of his US census records says he emigrated to the US in 1861, so I don't know if he still would have been included in the English census or not!

Again, thank you all for helping me!  You've already given me very valuable assistance, even with this first post.

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 13 August 21 13:00 BST (UK) »
I've had a look at the image of the 1861 census which William found and agree that it must be your Richard OLIVER. I read the place of birth as Hazon. Not Heazon. The "H" has a curly finish which looks like an "e" as can be seen on other instances of the letter "H" on the same page.
Hazon is and was back then a very small place so it must be the same man as was on the 1851 and 1841 census.
In England the 1841 census was taken in June. This was changed in later years to be at the end of March, start of April. So plenty of time for Richard to have been in Gateshead for the census and migrated later in the year.
From Newspaper items Richard's brother Aaron is appears to have become a Steam Engine Proprietor. Don't know whether this would have been for dragging ploughs across fields or for driving threshing machines. I recall as a lad in the 50s that the farm I grew up on had yet to get a Combined Harvester so the corn would be cut and stacked until the day when the Steam Engine with its Thrashing Machine would turn up. All the corn was then thrashed separating the corn from the straw. Mice and rats running all over the place.

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 13 August 21 13:34 BST (UK) »
In your earlier reply you mention their first 2 children were born in England.  Could you give us their names and birthyears so we can see if we can get more info for you
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)