Author Topic: The Crosbie's/Crosby's and Tracy) families of Roscommon  (Read 1512 times)

Offline Christopher Earl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
The Crosbie's/Crosby's and Tracy) families of Roscommon
« on: Thursday 12 August 21 16:32 BST (UK) »
Hi i have ancestors who moved to South West Scotland namely Michael Crosbie or Crosby an Agricultural Labourer, born circa 1801 ? Ireland , died 1863 Troqueer , Maxwelltown, Kirkudbrightshire, Scotland , now part of the town Dumfries . He married Elizabeth Tracy or Tracey(ie), b circa 1809 Roscommon died College Street Maxwelltown, Kirkudbrightshire, Scotland in 1826 at Elphin north of Roscommon . I can find no Irish birth or baptism for Michael . I cant find one for Elizabeth either . Michael parents were William Crosbie(y) birth and death dates unknown but according to the post 1855 death entry for Michael it states his father was a shepherd and his mothers name was Helen Stanley who i know absolutely nothing about . Likewise Elizabeth parents were according to her death entry John Tracy a Tailor to trade and mother Nancy i think Keane or Wearne but can't make it out both were from Ireland . As i understand they were all Roman Catholic as their descendants were too . Any help or advice greatly appreciated .

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: The Crosbie's/Crosby's and Tracy) families of Roscommon
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 12 August 21 18:48 BST (UK) »
Birth registration in Ireland began 1864.
Keane/Kane is an Irish name.
Have you found Michael & Elizabeth's marriage in a church marriage register?
What did Michael and Elizabeth put as places of birth on censuses?
When did Elizabeth die?
What were their children's names + approximate birth years ? Were they born in Ireland or Scotland?

Added.
Elphin parish, Diocese of Elphin, County Roscommon, variant names Elphin and Creeve, Creeve
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0556
Marriage register:
23rd January 1826 Michael Tracy & Elizabeth Tracy. Witnesses Patrick Tracy, Eleanor ? (Her last name might end in y.)

Baptism registers for Elphin parish:
June 1807-Dec. 1808
May 1810-April 1818
Aug. 1818-Sep 1825
If Elizabeth was born in Elphin parish c.1809 it looks as though the record didn't survive.
There are also some deaths in the register which is unusual for Catholic registers of the time.

Next register has baptisms 1825-1843 + a few years of deaths 1835-8. A note says there are 2 series of dates so you may have to search carefully to find relevant entries. If Michael and Elizabeth remained in Elphin parish their children's baptisms may be in the register and they may have been godparents for children of relatives, friends or neighbours.
Clicking on names of surrounding parishes on map brings up their registers. If Michael's birth year was correct and if he was born in Elphin or nearby, he was likely to have been born too early to find a record of his baptism.
Cowban

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 12 August 21 20:45 BST (UK) »
Birth of Thomas Crosby - parents Michael and Elizabeth 1st December 1826

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633954#page/16/mode/1up

Residence could be Lugboy
https://www.townlands.ie/roscommon/roscommon/elphin/cregga/lugboy/
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 13 August 21 15:57 BST (UK) »

Elphin parish, Diocese of Elphin, County Roscommon, variant names Elphin and Creeve, Creeve
https://registers.nli.ie/parishes/0556
Baptism registers for Elphin parish:
June 1807-Dec. 1808
May 1810-April 1818
Aug. 1818-Sep 1825
If Elizabeth was born in Elphin parish c.1809 it looks as though the record didn't survive.
There are also some deaths in the register which is unusual for Catholic registers of the time.

I missed another baptism register which has baptisms Jan 1809-July 1815.
You may find baptisms of Elizabeth's siblings in some of those registers. People tended to marry at a young age in Ireland then. A woman, if she survived, might produce babies for 25 years or even longer. If Elizabeth was one of the elder children, her youngest siblings may have been a similar age to her own eldest children.
If you find any, keep a note of godparents (sponsors). They may have been close relatives.
Custom was to baptise babies of Catholic families soon after birth. Priest went to house where baby was born.
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 13 August 21 17:44 BST (UK) »
Birth of Thomas Crosby - parents Michael and Elizabeth 1st December 1826

https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633954#page/16/mode/1up

Godparents Patrick & Ellenora? Tracy. Witnesses at Michael & Elizabeth's wedding were Patrick Tracy and Eleanora somebody. My first thought is that Patrick may have been Elizabeth's brother. No godparent from Michael's side of the family. Some young women returned to their own family for birth of first child, assisted by her female relatives. With that in mind + no Crosby godparents, it's possible that Elphin was Elizabeth's parish but not originally Michael's. 
Cowban

Offline Christopher Earl

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 13 August 21 19:19 BST (UK) »
As far as I know Thomas Crosby or Crosbie the eldest son b Roscommon 1830 I’m sure or 1833 but he died at Troqueer , Maxwelltown, Kirkcudbrightshire in 1887 and married Elizabeth Regan and then was widowed marrying again to Ann Burns .
The next son Patrick Crosby or Crosbie was b 1836 Roscommon he died 1886 High Street Dumfries. He married a Mary McGrail but I see a Patrick Crosbie marrying a Bridget Mcevoy so maybe he was married twice . The next of Michael and Elizabeth children were Elizabeth Crosbie she married John Mulhearn b 1841 Ireland d 1917 Maxwelltown. Elizabeth was born in Roscommon and died in Maxwelltown in 1920 . Finally Maria Crosbie b circa 1845 ? or 1848 Roscommon d 1900 Dalfibble north of Dumfries married William Kirkpatrick b 1848 Balmaclellan Kirkcudbrightshire Scotland d 1925 the stoop Dumfries, in Dumfries . However , Maria seems to hide her Irish identity in the 1871 census at Colvend or Newhouse where she is called Mary Kirkpatrick when she was Maria Kirkpatrick. It states her birthplace as Troqueer Maxwelltown Kirkcudbrightshire when the 1851 and 1861 census at Milligan’s Close Troqueer where the Crosby’s / Crosbie’s stayed after emigrating from Roscommon Ireland . That’s as much as I know of their Irish origins .

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 14 August 21 15:47 BST (UK) »
As far as I know Thomas Crosby or Crosbie the eldest son b Roscommon 1830 I’m sure or 1833

The next son Patrick Crosby or Crosbie was b 1836 Roscommon
 The next of Michael and Elizabeth children were Elizabeth Crosbie she married John Mulhearn b 1841 Ireland d 1917 Maxwelltown. Elizabeth was born in Roscommon
 Finally Maria Crosbie b circa 1845 ? or 1848 Roscommon ... However , Maria seems to hide her Irish identity in the 1871 census at Colvend or Newhouse where she is called Mary Kirkpatrick when she was Maria Kirkpatrick. It states her birthplace as Troqueer Maxwelltown Kirkcudbrightshire when the 1851 and 1861 census at Milligan’s Close Troqueer where the Crosby’s / Crosbie’s stayed after emigrating from Roscommon Ireland .

What are your sources for years of birth of the children? Have you found baptisms for all of them? Was there more than 1 Thomas?

Variations in spellings of Maria's surname may have been clerical error. As she was a young child when she left Ireland she may not have remembered living there and thought she was born in Scotland. If she couldn't read or write she may have given verbal answers to questions. She may have been asked by whoever completed the census "Where are you from?" instead of "Where were you born?". On the other hand, you may be correct that she preferred to be thought of as Scottish.   
Cowban

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 14 August 21 16:38 BST (UK) »
Only 1 Tracy entry in Griffiths Valuation in Elphin Civil Parish. I also looked for Tracey and Treacy. No Crosbie or Crosby in Elphin parish.
www.askaboutireland.ie/griffith-valuation/
https://www.nli.ie/en/griffiths-valuation.aspx

No Crosbie/Crosby or Tracy/Tracey/Treacy in Elphin civil parish in Tithe Applotment Books. I didn't expect to find Michael's or Elizabeth's fathers, since a shepherd and a tailor weren't likely to have held land and almost certainly not titheable land. There was a Mathew Crosbie who held 258 acres in Logboy townland in Taghmaconnell civil parish. There are 2 Logboy/Lugboy townlands in County Roscommon, 1 in Elphin Civil Parish, Strokestown Union and the other in Taghmaconnell Civil Parish, Athlone Union.
https://www.nationalarchives.ie/article/tithe-applotment-records/
Cowban

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 14 August 21 17:09 BST (UK) »
Not sure if this baptism is relevant but it is the only one I can see with those parents and the name Elenor has featured in the other records.
1st November 1831
‘Elenoram’ Crosby with parents ‘Michaelis’ Crosby and Eliza Travers - Lisanuffy, Cloonfinlough and Strokestown
https://registers.nli.ie/registers/vtls000633933#page/11/mode/1up
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk