Author Topic: NSW Land Records online - help please  (Read 1117 times)

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
Re: NSW Land Records online - help please
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 21 August 21 09:10 BST (UK) »
Yes, Yes, Yes.   ;D  ;D  ;D

JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 21 August 21 11:42 BST (UK) »
I read that, but am confused now. Does that mean I need to have a search done and pay for a record, or am I able to search it myself on the HLRV?

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 27 August 21 07:36 BST (UK) »
Hi JM.
Not sure if you saw my last post regarding the deposited deeds number. I have tried everyway I can to use it in HLRV to find something relevant, but nothing comes up.
I have just called the NSW Land Registry and was told that with regard to the number I have, she didn't know what that would be, and they don't have any numbers like that.

I also asked if I could use that number to pay for a record, but she just told me to use the HLRV.

Can you help further?

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Friday 27 August 21 07:48 BST (UK) »
Actually I just found on page 49/50 of the following document that the deposited deeds numbers that are stamped on the land records, are only available in hardcopy.
https://www.nswlrs.com.au/getattachment/515c97fd-d3f0-4020-a394-69aaffb6a72f/attachment.aspx

So, I just rang back the NSW Land Registry and spoke to the same person. This time she was incredibly rude and told me she didn't know what I was talking about. I then quoted the document and reference, and she rattled off something about government departments changed more that 14 years ago. Now that information is supersceeded and she can't help me. Very rude - should not be manning the phone in my opinion.  >:(

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Friday 27 August 21 21:14 BST (UK) »
Sadly I am not surprised to read of that horrid experience.   Our NSW government sold to private enterprise the responsibilities involved in Land Titles. 

I have no answer to  help you find the original owner via online title searchings except by persisting with that website.  But remember that sometimes we can blind ourselves, and miss seeing the wood for all the trees.   :D

So ...  :) well ....   In my opinion, some aspects of effective government administration ought never be sold off to private enterprise... 

Perhaps if you step back ... even just for a week or so,  and then re focus on the fundamental aspect you want to resolve, then brainstorm that, looking for alternative ways to solve ....

So apart from title deed searching... where else could you find land transfer info .... perhaps in a Probate file for someone who died in that era in that locality...  look through NSW bdm deaths ... surname as asterisk, but enter the bdm district (sometimes same as County or shire or nwarby town but not always) then with name and Date of death look for deceased estate file and for probate packet at NSW archives..... yes, a total stranger, not a family ancestor... public records... anyone can access.

And worse still... just imagine if the NSW BDM was privatised...... and 14 years after that someone asked a question that is not listed in their training manual.....   e.g.  what does AGED 049 mean in column headed father's given name .... (it actually only means the deceased was aged 49 years when he/She died but the informant did not know the given name of the deceased's father)

Yes, the private enterprise receives no revenue to offset their expenses in providing access to those historic records, but they undertook that task as part of their responsibilities.

:)

Climbing down from MAJM lectern now,  I wish there was a smilieface with a foot stamping tantrum.   Right hand pointer finger needs a rest.  :o please excuse spelling mistakes.

ADD ....  Katharine75, my ancient rellies say ... let the info settle,  look again in a fortnight.  The phonecall person, sadly, has no real understanding of the fundamentals. 

JM

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Saturday 28 August 21 01:29 BST (UK) »
An important question .... (from one of my ancient rellies !  :D )

Have you accessed the 1851 plan that was used up until 1889?   And is held at NSW State Archives?

https://records-primo.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/f/1e5kcq1/INDEX1480105 

or other plans at NSW State Archives prepared by that Surveyor-Drafter
https://records-primo.hosted.exlibrisgroup.com/permalink/f/1e5kcq1/INDEX1260605

https://www.records.nsw.gov.au/archives/collections-and-research/guides-and-indexes/surveyors-letters  John James GALLOWAY as the Surveyor

JM

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Saturday 28 August 21 04:51 BST (UK) »
A further issue with land records that I have is an ancestor sold a parcel of land in West Tamworth in 1875 as I have the land record.
It lists the purchaser, but I can't see anything else relevant that will help me find the original purchase earlier by my ancestor.
Any tips for searching that one?

Thank, Katharine.

The links you gave me I shall investigate as they might help with the intitial posting of land in Bendemeer.

My other issue is related to this quoted block in West Tamworth NSW. I have now sent a query to the historical society to see if they can assist.

From what I have gathered the Peel River Land & Mineral Company owned this land and established it as a private town. So when you look at the Town Maps on HRLV that is how it is marked. Allotments are number with sections alphabetical and that is the only information given, so no original purchaser or further numbers.

From the title deeds I did find, I have located the exact location of the blocks on the Private Town part of plans, and can pinpoint the location today. I have investigated the blocks through using the LRS search but come to a standstill as the records are not available on HRLV.

I am just wanting to know when he purchased the block that was sold in 1875. There are no other names on the deed but the vendor (my ancestor) and the purchaser, and the deposited deeds packet number stamped at the top. I am only guessing this might be the original purchase that my ancestor made? I also wonder if he purchased it directly from the Company - but this is probably more than 20 years since they were established.

I am only just starting on this but I had read in that apparently  ::) now outdated guide that I can search this number at the kiosk/computer located in the Lands Registry office. I don't know if that is still the case though.

I am thinking I might start looking for the new purchaser transferring the land. Maybe it will give some further details on the previous transactions.

Offline Katharine75

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Saturday 28 August 21 10:07 BST (UK) »
EUREKA!! Problem solved for the Tamworth block!
I found the record I was after now. I knew that the Peel River Company originally held the land so I went back to that time period and traced it forward through the vendors index using the company as my starting surname. It was sold to someone, who then sold it to my ancestor in 1873.
 ;D