Author Topic: Charles Scott, Ballynian/Ballylame Garvagh  (Read 1414 times)

Offline Sandel1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Charles Scott, Ballynian/Ballylame Garvagh
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 October 23 20:11 BST (UK) »
Several years have passed with my Scotts on hold.  Now a couple of relatives of Charles's have arrived on the scene hoping for some information.   Charles Scott born 1868 at Ballynian between Garvagh and Swatragh married twice  - firstly to a relative (1895), Martha Jane McCullough (various surname spellings are available) with whom he had a large family, and secondly to Elizabeth Smyth, with whom he had a little son who died aged three.  I have amassed quite a lot of info re Charles - though his parents Nancy Kennedy and Charles Scott were married a good few years before registrations commenced therefore we only have records of children born after 1860.  Will be interested if anyone can supply any records for older children born at Ballynian.  But for now, the question that mystifies us all - why is there no death registration for Martha Jane Scott who died between 1904 and 1909 at Ballylame, Garvagh, their newer farm and no grave?  Charles her son, and her husband Charles are both buried in Main Street Garvagh, I recently visited the grave, but the Graveyard Convener there has no reason to believe that there is anyone else in that grave - so that begs the question where is Martha Jane and where is Elizabeth's infant son James?  As Martha came from closer to Swatragh I wonder if it might be there - but McCullough is so common a surname in the south of the county I have no idea where to start looking - Swatragh perhaps would be a start.  But that doesn't explain where the little one was laid to rest in 1912.  Any ideas welcome.
McFadden, McCaldridge, M'Aldridge, Gordon, Robb, McDonald

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Friday 27 October 23 22:35 BST (UK) »
Martha Jane (McCullough) Scott died 19 July 1907.
Like most Presbyterian churches in the area, Main St. (2nd Garvagh) didn't keep burial records except for a short time much earlier so little James Smyth Scott could be buried there. Martha, however, is listed on her parents' gravestone and presumably there-
Swatragh Parish Church: "Lizzie McCullagh of Laragh who died 25th March 1910 aged 75 years. Also her daughter Martha Jane Scott of Ballylame died 8th July 1907 aged 35 years. And her husband John McCullagh who died 27th Jan. 1917 aged 84 years. And their son Charles McCullagh who died 12th January 1939 aged 66 years. Also his wife Mary Ann who died 12th July 1949 aged 67 years. And their son Frank McCullagh Lenamore Portstewart Retired Teacher who died 20th March 1953 aged 75 years."
It's possible the burial register will list her burial. Note: her death notice in Northern Constitution, 13 July 1907 and says died at her husband's residence, Ballylame. Also possibly longer article in Coleraine Chronicle same date.
I don't see any mention of James' death in local papers but since he died a month after incident perhaps it didn't make the papers.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline Sandel1

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Friday 27 October 23 22:50 BST (UK) »
Aghadowey - my sincere thanks, you always come up with the goods.   I had toyed with the idea that she may have been buried with her parents, but then thought that she was perhaps in Main St Garvagh grave and not recorded.  I know my maternal side has this problem in Bushvale, where I was told that in past times the ladies were not always recorded as the menfolk owned the graves!   This info will be gratefully received by Martha's G Grand-daughter in NZ, especially as there is so much of history of Martha's family included, and this had been our next planned endeavour. Much appreciated.
McFadden, McCaldridge, M'Aldridge, Gordon, Robb, McDonald