Author Topic: Not Entitled to Bear Arms - Knight of Slapton, Northamptonshire  (Read 2537 times)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Not Entitled to Bear Arms - Knight of Slapton, Northamptonshire
« on: Friday 20 August 21 17:05 BST (UK) »
Some years ago I found a record on a list of families who were using arms to which they weren't entitled.

The arms were issued by Christopher Barker to Thomas Knight of Hoo in the county of Southampton on 8 April 1546 and subsequently - upon Thomas Knight's death and failure of issue - granted by William Harvey to Thomas Knight's brother William Knight of Abthorpe in the county of Northampton on 24 March 1565.

Sometime in the C17th or C18th the family of Knight in Slapton, Northamptonshire were ticked off for using these arms without a right to do so.  (This family descends from Thomas and William Knight's probable half-brother John Knight, who died in 1616.)

Stupidly, I didn't save the record at the time but as my research has evolved it became clear that it has nearly as much significance to John Knight of Slapton's origins as if he had been entitled to bear the arms.

Unfortunately I can't find it again.  Can anyone tell me where the lists of families not entitled to bear arms were published or otherwise help me to find it?

Thank you for your help.

Offline MaecW

• RootsChat Senior
  • Yma o hyd
    • View Profile
Re: Not Entitled to Bear Arms - Knight of Slapton, Northamptonshire
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 06:07 BST (UK) »
The original note about the Arms being passed to William Knight of Abthorpe is contained in the Visitations of Northamptonshire 1564 and 1618-19 (page numbered 30, but showing as page 45 of the edition on Google ).
I've been unable to find the "ticking off" but I would imagine this was the result of the Visitation of 1681 as that would seem to fit the time-line.

Incidentally, William Harvey may have approved the transfer of the  Arms to William but did not grant them as they already existed.
Baron (of Blackburn), Chadwick (Oswaldtwistle), Watkins (Swansea), Jones (x3 Swansea), Colton (Shropshire), Knight (Shropshire/Montgomery) , Bullen (Norfolk), White (Dorset)

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Not Entitled to Bear Arms - Knight of Slapton, Northamptonshire
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 06:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks MaecW, I will check the 1681 Visitation.

I see your point about the approval.