Author Topic: Welsh Newspapers 1975  (Read 2194 times)

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Welsh Newspapers 1975
« on: Friday 20 August 21 20:47 BST (UK) »
Good evening,

Does anyone know which newspapers existed in 1975 and which ones would've covered the story of a car accident and of the subsequent inquest into the death?

Thanks for your help,
Glen
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Welsh Newspapers 1975
« Reply #1 on: Friday 20 August 21 20:54 BST (UK) »
You have posted on the Wales board.  In which county did the accident occur as it would be newspaper's for that area that are relevant.

You can ask the moderator to move your post to the appropriate County by using the Report to Moderator function
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 20 August 21 21:08 BST (UK) »
The Natioanal Library Online Newspapers don't include papers that recent. They only cover 1804-1919

https://newspapers.library.wales/

You'd need to check the British Newspaper Archive or individual local ones.

https://www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk/

As Carole has said, we'd need to know whereabouts the accident occurred to help.

Gadget
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

***Restorers - Please do not use my restores without my permission. Thanks***

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 20 August 21 22:58 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies.

I'm not sure where the accident was. They had arrived on a ferry from Ireland.

They were taken to Wrexham Memorial Hospital, which was Denbighshire I believe until 1974 and then became Clwyd.

So I imagine the north of Wales would be the best place for me to start.

Thanks for your help,
Glen
Galway, Ireland: Cunningham, Deely, Callanan, Conerneen/Conerney, Mullins and more. London, England:  Callingham, Buck, Parker, Comerford, Staples, Pitter, Gallington, Langhelt, Setzer and more! Bearsted/Maidstone, Kent: Lamkin, Langley, Smith

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 20 August 21 23:46 BST (UK) »
You might try the Wrexham Leader.

https://www.leaderlive.co.uk/

I'm not sure how far back their archives go but I know that it was definitely there in 1975  :)

Gadget

Add - The Memorial Hospital closed at some stage and the main hospital became the Maelor General. My parents, sister and I were patients of both at various times from 1950s to 1980s.
Census &  BMD information Crown Copyright www.nationalarchives.gov.uk and GROS - www.scotlandspeople.gov.uk

Offline Gadget

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 20 August 21 23:51 BST (UK) »

Offline trystan

• Administrator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • RootsChat Co-founder
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 21 August 21 09:44 BST (UK) »
Nowadays (I think) it would be Western Mail - mainly read by people in South Wales, and the Daily Post for North Wales.

Here is a list on Wikipedia - but presumably these don't list newspapers that have since ceased printing: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_newspapers_in_Wales

There would have been very small runs of newsletters and the like in small villages and towns too, often produced by chapels, in Welsh. Strangely enough, when we visited the library of FamilySearch in Salt Lake City years ago, I had a flick through a few - it was very odd seeing and reading Welsh in such an unlikely place.

Trystan
Send RootsChat a postcard:
RootsChat.com, Europa House, Barcroft Street, Bury, Lancashire, BL9 5BT
Admin Tip: Forgotten your Username or Password and would like to reply to one of these messages?  CLICK HERE to get a reminder.
AOL Users: You may need to 'cut and paste' any links you get in emails for them to work.

Offline Drosybont

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 21 August 21 13:42 BST (UK) »
The 'North Wales Chronicle' is another possibility.

Drosybont
Hotham, Guilliatt, Brown, Winter, Buck, Webster, Mortimore
Richards, Meredith, Gower, Davies, Todd, Westmacott, Hill
Mid C19 Cardiff and Haverfordwest, the Marychurch family.

Offline -Glen-

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 22 August 21 14:38 BST (UK) »
Thank you everyone  :)

I'm going to contact the various archives and track down where the old newspapers are kept.

Thanks for your help,
Glen