Author Topic: John MacLeod of Dornoch, Sutherland married 29 Apr 1816 in Edinburgh  (Read 1345 times)

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.
    • View Profile
Re: John MacLeod of Dornoch, Sutherland married 29 Apr 1816 in Edinburgh
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 22 August 21 10:19 BST (UK) »
Sorry, who's parents were William Gordon (is this a middle name or surname?) and Catherine MUNRO with Uncle James MUNRO?

If it were me and with unlimited credits (ha ha) I would be getting the marriage cert of Alexa MUNRO and Angus INNES to find out who her parents were, since she seems the sister of Margaret MUNRO, hoping to link to John MACLEOD.  :-\

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 22 August 21 10:54 BST (UK) »
Possible death for Margaret MUNRO in 1875 at Dornoch, aged 83 (047/ 28).

She is still with Angus and Alexa INNES in 1871 at Dornoch
Angus INNES    69    (Crofter Of 6 Acres, & Chelsea Pensioner)
Alexandrina INNES   65    
Ellen MUNRO        65    Sister-in-law
Margaret MUNRO   32    Sister-in-law (am assuming this is a mistranscription in her age?

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 22 August 21 19:09 BST (UK) »
Parent names William Gordon tenant deceased and Catherine Gordon (M.S. Munro) came from Johan McLeod's death certificate in Tongue.

Catherine Gordon might be in Rogart, Sutherland in 1851 aged 60.

John McLeod's death certificate had his niece (or great-niece) Dolina Munro as informant.

I've also been thinking about Alexander Munro who married Elizabeth (or Betty) McLeod in Dornoch 08 July 1799.  They have a son James Munro.  I've been trying to get the uncles and nieces to make sense.

I don't know what John McLeod's service record was like or if the tree in Ancestry gave details about his parents (Roderick and Flora McLeod) or siblings.  I expected him to be a Sgt.  A Lt. would likely be connected to a main branch of the Clan.  There is a Roderick McLeod Lt. in the Assynt Independent Highland Companies.   Do you have access to John McLeod's info for the person who died in Melness?

The Margaret Munro who died in Dornoch aged 83 in 1875 mother's maiden name is Munro.  Unfortunately, I don't have unlimited credits on Scotland's People.  I do have 10 Margaret Munros in my database and one died in 1875 (1795-1875).  She married a John McLeod in Edderton in 1818.  Three are married to different John McLeods. 

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 23 August 21 18:30 BST (UK) »
Williamina Jane Forbes, who died in Tongue in 1887 aged 84, mother's maiden name was McLeod.  She is with John McLeod aged 60 in 1841.

Apparently, in 1861 she was head of the household John was absent from.

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 25 August 21 05:37 BST (UK) »
Parent names William Gordon tenant deceased and Catherine Gordon (M.S. Munro) came from Johan McLeod's death certificate in Tongue.

Sorry, probably me being a bit thick here, but if Johan MCLEOD's death cert has her parents as William GORDON and Catherine GORDON (nee MUNRO), she can't be John MCLEOD's daughter.  :-\

The Johan MCLEOD with John MCLEOD in 1841 and 1851 is his daughter.

Offline Sildeag

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Thursday 26 August 21 01:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you very much @maddys52 for all your help. 

There are two John MacLeods.  Both in same company of 42nd reg.  The Lt. John MacLeod died in Melness and I now believe the Sgt. John MacLeod died in Dornoch on 1 Mar 1852 aged 72.  I've asked a few people to see if I can find out the place name B______?  which appears 3rd one down and just above Rogart.  It is of course possible Sgt. John MacLeod left Dornoch.

Online maddys52

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Thursday 26 August 21 11:24 BST (UK) »
That makes sense!  :)

I can't make out the place name - have you tried the handwriting and deciphering board? Lots of experienced people there willing to help.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/handwriting-deciphering-recognition/