Author Topic: Translation of Latin? 1731 Probate, West Riding  (Read 717 times)

Offline Watson

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Translation of Latin? 1731 Probate, West Riding
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 19:45 BST (UK) »
Arthur has referred more than once to a delay of three days, but is that correct?  The only two dates visible in the document are 3 May and 6 July, which entail an interval of two months and three days.  Is there a third date?  (Arthur refers to 3 July).  I don't think it would be profitable to attempt to explain the delay, but if three days is wrong, then it could be misleading to leave it uncorrected.

Offline arthurk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 24 August 21 20:47 BST (UK) »
Sorry - thinking of too many things at once and reading too quickly. When I saw the 3rd and 6th as dates, I immediately assumed they were in the same month without looking too closely at which month they were.

A delay of just over two months seems very odd.
Researching among others:
Bartle, Bilton, Bingley, Campbell, Craven, Emmott, Harcourt, Hirst, Kellet(t), Kennedy,
Meaburn, Mennile/Meynell, Metcalf(e), Palliser, Robinson, Rutter, Shipley, Stow, Wilkinson

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline karen58

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 25 August 21 02:05 BST (UK) »
Hi  Watson and arthurk

Just checked other probates for Saddleworth and there does seem to be a delay between executors swearing an oath and the date of probate.

For example an oath sworn on the 24 September 1794 and a probate issued 3 November 1794.

According to Saddleworth Historical Society this was not unusual for Saddleworth, it being a remote parish from Chester. Also, the LOM was an away-Lord and if copies of indentures or leases were required from him this took extra time.

However, I didn't know that land ownership had any bearing on probates.

Warm regards
Karen
Platts & Scholefields; Saddleworth
Winterbottoms; Saddleworth and Huddersfield
Pitchforths; Halifax and Huddersfield