Author Topic: Hayling Island - Emily Elizabeth Rustell  (Read 1000 times)

Offline suepernz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Hayling Island - Emily Elizabeth Rustell
« on: Thursday 26 August 21 01:54 BST (UK) »
Emily was possibly known as Emma before the married. She was the first wife of my grandfather George Bettesworth b1854 and they married in October 1876 on Hayling Island, Hampshire. Emily gave birth to 15 children (3 boys and 12 girls) although two of them died as infants. Emily and her youngest child Jesse, both died at the beginning of March 1898. I have copies of her marriage certificate and her death certificate but neither show her birth date. Working back from the ages quoted on these certificates we believe she was born in 1858 or 1859 but not sure where, possibly Portsea or Portsmouth. She spent some of her life pre-marriage on Hayling Island and she and George lived on Hayling the whole of their married life. Really stumped by where she was born and when. Although my father was number eight of the nine children of the second marriage, I have managed to contact some of the descendants of the first family and they would also be interested in more info on Emily.
Bettesworth: Hampshire and Sussex
Bills: London
Burgess: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Dibble: Surrey
Dobson/Dopson: Buckinghamshire
Hammett: Devon
Mansfield: Cambridge
Paulin: Northumberland
Perkins: Hereford, London and Ipswich, Suffolk
Styles: Devon
Todd: Cambridge
Tyler: Hereford
Tyrer: London
Watkins: London
West: Devon

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Hayling Island - Emily Elizabeth Rustell
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 August 21 02:26 BST (UK) »
What was her father’s name and occupation on marriage cert?

And the names of the witnesses

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 August 21 02:30 BST (UK) »
1881 census she is 23 and born Portsmouth
Eldest daughter born Emsworth…so did she go to stay with her mother for the birth perhaps?

Is she calling herself Amelia in 1891?

Offline Annette7

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 August 21 03:06 BST (UK) »
I can't find her birth entry but she was the youngest child of George Rustell and wife Eliza Hopkins.   In 1871 she is 'Emma' and appears to have been baptised at Milton, Hampshire on 29/1/1860.

Emma in 1861 too but this time birthplace given as Gt. Salterns, Hampshire.

George Rustell, labourer, of Milton, son of James Rustell, labourer married Eliza Hopkins of Milton, dau. of Isaac Hopkins, victualler,  31/7/1843 Portsea.

Census states George bc.1818 Bay of Biscay (british subject).   Couldn't find him in 1841.

Annette

Scopes (One-Name Study - Worldwide)
Suffolk - Grist, Knights, Bullenthorpe, Watcham
Scotland - Spence, Horne, Cowan, Moffat
London -  Monk

Don't walk behind me, I may not lead.   Don't walk in front of me, I may not follow.   Just walk beside me and be my friend.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 August 21 03:08 BST (UK) »
Have you discarded the family headed by George Rustell born in the Bay of Biscay?  That has an Emma baptised 1860?   

I cannot find a birth reg for her, but others have mother’s maiden name HOPKINS

Red boxed Annette! 

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 August 21 03:09 BST (UK) »
Re the baptism at Milton. Abode is Salterns

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 August 21 05:20 BST (UK) »
There is a George Rustell born “At Sea” in the British Armed Forces And Overseas Births And Baptisms set.   But it’s hard to tell year.  However Volume 1 line 28 suggest early in the series so probably 1818. Which is how it is indexed.

Then there is a baptism at Hambledon 22 August 1824 of a George b c 1817 son of James Rustell & Elizabeth.

Offline Forguette

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalar
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 August 21 13:17 BST (UK) »
Problem is this family had a daughter Amelia then 6yrs later had a daughter Emma.
'Emma' marries James Cannons in DecQtr 1873. Emma would be 15/16. Amelia would be 22/23.
'Emily' marries Geo. Buttesworth in DecQtr 1876. Emma would be 18. Amelia would be 25.
The following census returns appear to show that they have swapped either ages or names.
I would get all of the bmd certs for both Emma and Amelia to see if it can be determined who was who.
Using original census returns also, transcriptions aren't always accurate, and any other original source material you can find which gives ages or places of birth. You may be able to figure it out.

Offline suepernz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 28 August 21 02:36 BST (UK) »
Thanks to everyone. To answer questions, marriage certificate shows Emily Elizabeth Rustell, father George Rustell - labourer, married George Bettesworth. Witnesses James North and Sarah Ann Bettesworth - stepbrother and sister of the groom.
Eldest daughter born in Emsworth - probably registered there because the family lived on Hayling Island which is quite near Emsworth and this (Hayling) is where the daughter was christened.
'Emily' marries Geo. Buttesworth - this should be George Bettesworth (my grandfather) they married on 21 October 1876 (have marriage certificate with Emily Elizabeth as bride's name. With regards to Amelia in 1891 this could be Emily's second daughter.
I think the assumption that Amelia and Emma swapped names could be correct but it needs more research. What I'd really like is to find her grave, or details of her burial but the information doesn't seem to be on FindAGrave or Billion Graves. Thanks for all your help. Onwards and upwards. I'll get there eventually as there's two or three of us researching this.
Bettesworth: Hampshire and Sussex
Bills: London
Burgess: Newcastle Upon Tyne
Dibble: Surrey
Dobson/Dopson: Buckinghamshire
Hammett: Devon
Mansfield: Cambridge
Paulin: Northumberland
Perkins: Hereford, London and Ipswich, Suffolk
Styles: Devon
Todd: Cambridge
Tyler: Hereford