Author Topic: Mary Price & Matthew Henry Morris  (Read 7754 times)

Offline Br1gau

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Price & Matthew Henry Morris
« Reply #18 on: Friday 27 August 21 23:18 BST (UK) »
Church in Wales - non-conformist, mix and match when it came to burials. Early non-con meetings were held in private houses with the worshippers eventually raising enough money by subscription to build a chapel. Not enough for a graveyard as well.  Also many of them came from families who had lived in the area for generations and preferred, whether Church Church or not, to be buried alongside their forebears.

Don't know if you have access to the Montgomeryshire MIs.  These ones relate to the Owens.  Looking at them it seems there were previous generations at Bacheldre.

Slate headstone
In Memory of / Elizabeth, Wife of / William OWEN, / (of Bacheldre) / who died Ap. 12th 1820 Aged 42. / Also 4 of their Children / who died in their Infancy. / Also Richard OWEN, / who died Dec. 1st. 1822 / Aged 76. / With deepest though spectator view thy fate: / Thus mortals pass to an immortal state. / Through death's dark vale we hope they've found their way / To the bright regions of eternal day.

Slate headstone
In Memory of / Richard Son of / William and Elizabeth / OWEN, / (of Bacheldre) who departed / this life Jan 1st. 1827, Aged 19. / Ah precious life! how sweet to mortal man, / By unknown fate cut shorter than a span. / No cries nor tears from ghastly death can save, / To-day in health, to-morrow in the grave.

Sandstone headstone
Memoriae Sacrum / William OWEN / of Bacheldre in this parish / born May VII, MDCCLXXVII / died November XXVI, MDCCCL. / also / Richard OWEN / late of Dolver / in the parish of Llanllwchaiarn / born October X, MDCCLXXIV; / died April XVIII. MDCCCLIII. / Resurgam.
(William 1777 – 1850, Richard 1774 – 1853)

Sandstone headstone
Memoriae Sacrum / Richard OWEN / of Bacheldre: / died November 27th MDCCCLVIII, / aged 53 years. / Jane OWEN / his daughter; / died August 18th M.DCCCLX, / aged 1 year & 7 months. / "Mark the perfect man, and behold the upright; / for the end of that man is peace."
The monumental mason had Richard die in 1858 not 1859 = MDCCCLIX

Sandstone headstone
In / Affectionate remembrance / of / Elizabeth OWEN / of Bacheldre / who died March 28th 1893 / aged 67 years. / And of Elizabeth, her daughter / who died Jan. 16th 1943 / aged 85 years. / Thanks be to God which giveth us / the victory through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Small marble stepped cross
In / Loving Memory of / Robert Ernest / beloved son of / T. and A. OWEN, Hopton, / Died March 20th. 1904, / Aged 7 months. / "Of such is the Kingdom of Heaven."

Granite tablet with kerb
In Loving Memory of / Thomas OWEN, / Hopton, / who died October 13th. 1945. Aged 90 years. / And of Annie, his wife, / who died May 29th. 1948. Aged 88 years. / "At Rest."

Granite Headstone with kerb
Treasured Memories of / Thomas William OWEN, / Hopton. / Who died 12th Oct. 1950. / Aged 48 years. / "Loved in life, remembered in death." / also his beloved wife / Gwladys Lillie OWEN / Died 25th November 1988 / Aged 83 years

Gwladys Lillie Owen of Lynwood, Milford Road, Newtown. Probate 23 Jan 1989 Liverpool

Granite headstone
In affectionate remembrance / of / Margaret Annie (Peggy) OWEN / Of The Villa & Formerly of Hopton. / born April 10th 1900, / died September 4th 1997.
Mason: M.E. Hughes, Welshpool Tel: 01938553609  ::)

Offline David Hankey

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mary Price & Matthew Henry Morris
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 28 August 21 07:59 BST (UK) »
Well, what a journey this has been. It has opened up in a way I never thought possible. I didn't realise that the Church and non-conformists mixed when it came to burials.

Thank you so much, Br1gau, for all your help which has enabled me to fill in the many gaps I had. No doubt more will be revealed as time goes by.

I have been able to contact  Monty MIs through their Facebook page so I'll see what that brings.

Again, thank you for all your wonderful assistance, David
Duroe, Duro, Durow, Derbyshire
Freegard, Freeguard, Wiltshire & South Wales
Hankey, Daresbury, Cheshire
Hopkins, Banbury, Oxfordshire
Malson, Newport, Monmouthshire
Wait, Yoxall, Staffordshire