Author Topic: Puzzling wedding certificate  (Read 1195 times)

Offline islay 1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Puzzling wedding certificate
« on: Thursday 26 August 21 17:26 BST (UK) »
Thank you for reading this. I am most confused about a marriage certificate for my grandfather's sister, and wonder if anyone can help me.
      She was Mary Anne Hervey, born 1869 Kirkmichael, although the family lived in Crosshill. Her father was Frederick Hervey and mother Mary Jane Caldwell. The family can easily be found on census returns for 1870 and 1880, and in 1891 Mary is in Ayr as a domestic servant. She marries in 1894, again in Ayr. Here is my puzzle.
       She weds a John Duan, pit sinker, his parents given as James Duan and Ellen Mcglinn. This is undoubtedly the correct Mary Hervey's marriage, as both her sister and future brother in law are correctly named as witnesses, and her parents are correctly documented, including her father's job and mother's maiden name.
         However, she is named as Mary Duan - if I correctly read the writing which is a little unclear - spinster. Surely she would have been Mary Anne Hervey if she was a spinster? Could it be a mistake and her new married name was put on the certificate instead of her maiden name?
          I cannot see where Mary Anne and John Duan lived thereafter. His brother James was also a pit sinker and married in 1896 giving Benquatt, Dalmellington as his home, but I find no sign of his brother or their parents anywhere.
         Ancestry further muddy the waters by suggesting that Mary Anne married a John Dalton in 1899 in Liverpool, her place of birth given as Crosshill in 1870, but even if she had been widowed shortly after her marriage to John Duan she would not have been recorded as Mary Anne Hervey, which was her maiden name. I think this must be another Mary Anne, but can easily stand corrected!
         I would love to know what happened to Mary Anne Hervey and the rest of her story, but am struggling through a lack of information about her next years, or even anything about John Duan himself( in case another family member should know more about where they lived.) My grandfather died before I was born or he could have been a great help here!
        Thank you for reading this. Any help would be much appreciated. Islay.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
Re: Puzzling wedding certificate
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 26 August 21 17:46 BST (UK) »
The marriage has been listed twice on Scotlands people
DUAN, JOHN
HARVEY, MARY ANN
578/ 88
Ayr

DUAN, JOHN
DUAN, MARY ANN
578/ 88
Ayr

Was it possible that they were living together prior to their marriage and she was known as Mary Ann Duan
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Crumblie

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 26 August 21 17:50 BST (UK) »
Could it be that the surname is actually Dunn and not Duan?

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 26 August 21 18:01 BST (UK) »
Ancestry further muddy the waters by suggesting that Mary Anne married a John Dalton in 1899 in Liverpool, her place of birth given as Crosshill in 1870, but even if she had been widowed shortly after her marriage to John Duan she would not have been recorded as Mary Anne Hervey, which was her maiden name. I think this must be another Mary Anne, but can easily stand corrected!

Marriage index from Lancashire BMD listed as Harvey
DALTON   John   
HARVEY   Mary A   1899   Liverpool, Register Office or Registrar Attended   
Liverpool   REG_LP/241/30

and listed as Hervey on freebmd
Marriage Sep qtr 1899
Dalton    John       
HERVEY    Mary Ann       
Liverpool    8b   243

ADDED They are in West Derby in 1901 - Mary Ann age 31 born Scotland, daughter May Beatrice
DALTON, MAY  BEATRICE     Mothers maiden surname HARVEY 
GRO Reference: 1900  June Quarter in WEST DERBY  Volume 08B  Page 262

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 26 August 21 18:01 BST (UK) »
However, she is named as Mary Duan - if I correctly read the writing which is a little unclear - spinster. Surely she would have been Mary Anne Hervey if she was a spinster? Could it be a mistake and her new married name was put on the certificate instead of her maiden name?
Looks like it.

I agree. (If she had remarried in Scotland she should have been indexed by both her maiden name and her first married name.)

Never believe anything you find on Ancestry or similar commercial web sites unless it's an image of an original record, and especially do not trust anything from a tree submitted to any of them. See https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=714261.0

You could get a copy of the marriage certificate of John Dalton and Mary Ann Hervey in 1899 and see what her father's name and occupation were. Sadly, an English marriage certificate does not mention the couple's mothers. Get it from https://www.gro.gov.uk/gro/content/ - beware of agents who will offer to get certificates for you at twice or three times the price (currently £7 for a .pdf copy).
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 26 August 21 18:06 BST (UK) »
You cannot get a PDF of a marriage from the GRO

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 26 August 21 18:21 BST (UK) »
All 3 of the children born to John Dalton who married in Liverpool have mothers maiden surname as HARVEY

DALTON, MAY  BEATRICE     mmn HARVEY 
GRO Reference: 1900  J Quarter in WEST DERBY  Volume 08B  Page 262

DALTON, ELIZABETH  ELLEN     mmn HARVEY 
GRO Reference: 1902  M Quarter in WEST DERBY  Volume 08B  Page 277

DALTON, CAROLINE  WINIFRED     mmn HARVEY 
GRO Reference: 1904  M Quarter in WEST DERBY  Volume 08B  Page 260

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 26 August 21 18:22 BST (UK) »
You cannot get a PDF of a marriage from the GRO
. Ah. I see that now that you have drawn my attention to it, but it's not immediately obvious (to me, at any rate) at first.

So it has to be a certificate, cost £11. Just over seven times the cost of a Scottish certificate.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 26 August 21 18:52 BST (UK) »
Hi islay 1

You mention that you have access to Ancestry. Have you checked the 1939 register to see what birth date Mary Ann Dalton gives? You will find it is a match with this date www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/1:1:XY5Q-GQ4

You are on the right track I would say with her second marriage to John Dalton in 1899. The names of Mary Jane and Frederick have also been used for her children. To be completely certain, a look at the original cert for the 1899 marriage would let you do that.

As to what happened with John Duan  :-\

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk