Author Topic: Ord Family of Newcastle puzzle  (Read 1524 times)

Offline Spelk

• RootsChat Senior
  • Pit Yacker
    • View Profile
Re: Ord Family of Newcastle puzzle
« Reply #18 on: Monday 30 August 21 10:30 BST (UK) »
In the list of siblings to Alexander given above the baptism date for Clementina [16 Oct 1816] must be wrong and is actually as below. Also the John baptised 21 Dec 1777 died young and was replaced by another John.

Baptism Tynemouth 21 Dec 1777 John son of John ORD of No. Sh. Mariner (mother Clementina)
Burial Tynemouth 8 Feb 1779 John son of John ORD of No: Sh: Mariner
Baptism Tynemouth 10 Sep 1780 John son of John ORD of No. Sh. Mariner (mother Clemmentina)
Baptism Tynemouth 25 Dec 1782 Patrick Robertson son of John ORD of No Sh Mariner (mother Clementina)
Baptism Tynemouth 2 Apr 1786 Clementina daur of John ORD of No Sh Mariner
Burial Tynemouth 10 Oct 1821 Clementina ORD age 79 of North Shields [so born abt 1742]

Offline Cesjak32

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Monday 30 August 21 12:11 BST (UK) »
My bad, the Clementina I listed was  a granddaughter. The one you state is the correct daughter. I've found possible burials for John Ord 1779 & 1780.

Offline Cesjak32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Monday 30 August 21 12:33 BST (UK) »
Sorry 1780 is a baptism

Offline Cesjak32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Monday 30 August 21 12:43 BST (UK) »
Never found burial record for John Ord the father though.

Offline Millmoor

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Monday 30 August 21 13:24 BST (UK) »
How about this for the burial of John Ord?

Died June 20 Buried June 22 1803 John Ord of North Shields Mariner Age 60. Certainly would appear to be of a similar age to Clementina.

https://www.familysearch.org/ark:/61903/3:1:S3HY-DZ7S-HHF?i=431&wc=9K53-SP8%3A13617901%2C30809801%2C30809802&cc=1309819

William
Dent (Haltwhistle and Sacriston), Bell and Jetson (Haltwhistle), Postle, Ward, Longstaff, Purvis, Manners, Parnaby and Hardy (Co. Durham), Kennedy and McRobert (Banffshire), Reid(Bathgate), Watson (Wemyss), Graham (Libberton), Sandilands (Carmichael), Munro (Dingwall)

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Monday 30 August 21 15:32 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have any thoughts or insight as to what has occurred. I am not able to access the original entries and have to rely on Familysearch for the accuracy of these records, but am a bit dubious.

I had something similar last year. Baptisms for a Staffs parish (can't remember which now) had been changed to a place in the US. It had something to do FS allowing users to submit corrections and, somehow, the England location got changed wholesale. You could still get the record by searching on the English parish, but it showed in the listings under the US place. When you opened the record, it showed both locations. I followed it up with FS but they weren't particularly interested and I haven't checked back since.

Offline Cesjak32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Monday 30 August 21 16:42 BST (UK) »
Thanks William that ties in nicely.

Offline Cesjak32

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 30 August 21 16:44 BST (UK) »
With regards to Familysearch I think the maxim is always check sources if it doesn't look right chances are it isn't !!!!!

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Thursday 02 September 21 11:21 BST (UK) »
This may be possibly be ancestor (somewhere down the line) of yours mentioned in a huge volume entitled 'Dictionary of Tyne Sailing Ships' at North Shields local studies. On page 528 entry 3183.

Information about the 'Nelly' schooner includes that the owners were John & Richard Ord, North Shields mariners.  The master named as John Ord - 12.5.1845

Also related is that the Nelly struck Sillycar Rocks, near Berwick on 2 January 1858 but managed to get off despite springing a leak.  However, this had to be abandoned near Holy Island but the crew were saved.

Thought I would just mention this info in case of any relevance.

Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner