Author Topic: Summary week ending 5th September  (Read 2281 times)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Summary week ending 5th September
« Reply #9 on: Sunday 05 September 21 11:18 BST (UK) »
Just in passing, Freddy Mercury would have been 75 today, according to the Classic FM presenter!
You can’t imagine some people being old.
Sadly some never reached old age.

A lovely bright crisp sunny morning .

Son coming tomorrow probably to raid my shed where there is a lot of paint and varnish .They are giving their  conservatory furniture to charity and he wants it to be in perfect order .
There is a little wear on the arms of the settee and chairs, rattan.
Need a little attention ,just a coat of sealant of some sort.

So there will be a lot of  displaced  spiders!
I won’t kill them, but neither will I put the kettle on for them!

Boiler man tomorrow ,so yippee a bath tomorrow evening.
Drain man on Wednesday —— I don’t know how I will stand the excitement !
Three visits in one week!

Spoke to sister in law yesterday evening ,my husband’s younger sister .
We had a laugh over family  incidents ,like the day after her wedding .
She lived in the house next to her parents after marrying.
Honeymoon to start on the Monday
For Sunday dessert she had made a jelly .
No fridge in those days but a cool shed with a meat safe in it was pretty good.
Jelly put in there to set.

Come tea time and s in l went in a panic to her mother — “ someone has been in the shed and stolen my jelly!”
Mother said she had taken it to put in her fridge so it would be set as a couple of hours in the meat  safe would not be enough .
 Was going to put it back when set but forgot !
Oh dear, to be in such close proximity to a mother like my m in law spelled trouble!
Such funny things happened in that family though.
Boxing Day was always  “ Grandma’s party” .
There would be as many as twenty plus ,a buffet, crackers, present opening ,games etc and lots if laughter .
We had to take chairs down in the pram !
The last Boxing day before we went to Belgium in the January was a mix -th
  usual gaiety,   and realising what we were leaving behind .
On the way home ,there were a lot of Policemen about especially near our home.
There was a big recreation ground ,with a fair on it.
The Police were looking for Lesley Ann Downey,abducted by Brady and Hindley.December 1964.
The little girl had gone to the fair ,not very far from her home.
That sticks in your memory.

Grandma’s parties continued for years and years.So many daft photographs to laugh over.
Keeping wrapping paper intact etc as she could use it next year, she never did.Never remembered where she had put it!
A long-standing joke was a tea towel with Father Christmas on it.
I gave it as a little “ stocking filler “ ,I got it back the next year ,she got it back the year after ,I got it again etc .
She never remembered though and everyone else was in on the joke.
BUT, she could not laugh at herself ,sooo
Silent laughter  ,we had to be careful  - very careful so the laughs were
always on me.
There was usually a mass exodus of the men —- for a cigarette but really to have a laugh out loud moment without risking grandma’s considerable
withering powers
She taught Norah Batty I am sure!
We women did the mountains of washing up .laughing in the kitchen.
“ No grandma, you sit down ,have a rest and we will clear up and make some tea then we can play games”.
What fun we had and not a drop of alcohol passed our lips.
Oh dear memory lane again , but what laughs I have when I wander there.
Worth a visit anytime.
Cheerio.
Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Sunday 05 September 21 12:01 BST (UK) »
Great to see everyone is expanding horizons at last, although we still need to be cautious of course.
An odd week of trying to do stuff, but always conscious of the fact that Torbay has a very high infection rate at present.  Thankfully tourism should calm down with schools re-opening next week.
We did manage one outdoor Morris practise group, and I gave one day to the National Trust at the ancient Manor House, dressed in Tudor working clothes. As I glided up the drive, a visitor wound his car window down and uttered the immortal words: "excuse me young lady, do you work here". ;D I was tempted to deny any association and claim I was just on my way to Tesco, but thought perhaps I'd better not.
On Friday evening I visited my oldest son and his family. The weather was fine so we sat outside to eat, and then took the dogs for a walk. Hadn't seen them for a couple of months; actually, only the third time this year. It was a lovely evening.
Best wishes to all.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Sunday 05 September 21 13:25 BST (UK) »
Good to see you posting MH thought you might have gone away for a while… I’m sure you’re looking forward to all the visitors returning to their home allowing locals to enjoy the environment before winter sets in…

Viktoria- your tales of past times always bring a smile or laughter and can settle a good mood on anyone…
Your memories are wonderful and you seem to have had such happy times with many wonderful tales to tell. I did laugh about the FC tea towel though 😂😂.

This past week seems to have vanished in a flash… the weather hasn’t been anything to write home about but I have been busy making anything I can with the courgette surplus… soup, fritters, cakes, etc… to be honest I’m getting a little jaded with so many to eat! Sadly all my neighbours grow them too so not able to give them away…😩

Yesterday we went to our closest friends 50th wedding anniversary… lateral flow tests taken by everyone going on the morning to keep us all safe..
what a wonderful day we had and the weather was partly sunny but not cold, we sat outside and enjoyed a wonderful cold buffet lunch with lots of fizz and ending with beautifully made small desserts… the icing on the cake for them was their son had flown in from Spain and appeared unannounced…what a lovely thing to do.. not without some worry for him though with tests to be taken before and on return costing more than the flight! Sadly his wife and children didn’t come as it would have been too expensive for the tests and the worry there would be problems…

It’s almost like being back to some sort of normal with a wedding one weekend and now this 50th celebration… next will be my birthday with an ‘0’in it in a couple of weeks time more celebrations!
I hope that everyone else is trying to get back to doing some of the things enjoyed before all this started and can enjoy some good September weather.

Take care

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 05 September 21 14:46 BST (UK) »
Caroline, how about courgette muffins? I am told they are very good.

Anniversary gathering sounds marvellous. How lovely for the couple to celebrate that way.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.

Offline tazzie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 05 September 21 16:37 BST (UK) »
Hello....

Though I'd pop in with a good news story as it's been one hell of a last 6 months round here..

We had a chance to dress up on Thursday as we attended our eldest sons university graduation. We are so proud he's done so well to cope with the course during covid and it all paid off. He gained a 1st in History and can now begin his teaching degree.
 It was held at Franklin's Gardens in Northampton ( the rugby ground) so it was outside but still crowded. They live streamed the event so the grand parents got to watch as well.

Back to work for me on Monday at school but a staggered start and we are again testing everyine it's going to be a long week! I'm double dosed as is eldest youngest at almost 18 only one dose.
 Just waiting to see how it will work out. My last Nhs  ping was after helping at summer school with 90 students!

Stay safe. It's still out there.

Tazzie

Liscoe -all
Green/Simpson/Underwood-Beds
Walker/Foulkes/Fookes/Fooks/Hedges/Lamborne-Bucks.
Stanton/Pattrick/Cooper/Fitzjohn/Holland/Spalding-London
 Rewallin/Underwood -Devon
 Casbolt-London/Cambridge
 Favell/Favel - Lincs-Beds

This information is Crown Copyright from
   www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Sunday 05 September 21 17:12 BST (UK) »
Congratulations Tazzie, you must be very proud.  :D
How lovely you were able to attend the graduation ceremony.
Good luck back at work.

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Sunday 05 September 21 17:15 BST (UK) »
Hello....

Though I'd pop in with a good news story as it's been one hell of a last 6 months round here..

We had a chance to dress up on Thursday as we attended our eldest sons university graduation. We are so proud he's done so well to cope with the course during covid and it all paid off. He gained a 1st in History and can now begin his teaching degree.
 It was held at Franklin's Gardens in Northampton ( the rugby ground) so it was outside but still crowded. They live streamed the event so the grand parents got to watch as well.

Back to work for me on Monday at school but a staggered start and we are again testing everyine it's going to be a long week! I'm double dosed as is eldest youngest at almost 18 only one dose.
 Just waiting to see how it will work out. My last Nhs  ping was after helping at summer school with 90 students!

Stay safe. It's still out there.

Tazzie

How lovely to attend your sons graduation Tazzie…Franklin’s Gardens certainly gets well used other than the usual Saints Rugby…spent many a weekend watching them play.

Good luck with school tomorrow a hard job indeed at the best of times..

MH not tried courgette muffins another one to log! Frankly I couldn’t face another courgette in any form at the moment 😂😂

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Sunday 05 September 21 20:45 BST (UK) »
Congratulations ,doubly deserved in the difficult conditions that have been in force .
Hope things go well at work.
Viktoria.

Online Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Sunday 05 September 21 21:08 BST (UK) »
  I am glad Tazzie's son was able to have a proper graduation ceremony - congratulations!
  Yesterday we held our first Church/village fete for 2 years. It went very well and there were people from several other villages there, all glad to get out to a normal event!
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire