Author Topic: Ernest Edward Studham my Grandfathers WW1 service  (Read 670 times)

Offline Studham56

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Ernest Edward Studham my Grandfathers WW1 service
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 01 September 21 10:06 BST (UK) »
Hi Allan,
That was my thought as well. I don't know if it was normal practice to include wartime service in the police service. It seemed strange that he did exactly 25 years with the police if you include the war time service. There was never a mention from my father that his father served overseas but so many people did not want to talk about it.
Best Regards
Richard

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 01 September 21 10:14 BST (UK) »
Richard,
Thanks to a fellow WW1 researcher on another forum, I can confirm that Ernest's battalion, the 18th Battalion of the King's Royal Rifle Corps never served overseas, the battalion was a home service only unit. The following is the assistance that I was given from another forum:

14th and 15th (Reserve) Battalions
Formed at Sheerness in October 1914 for K4 (Kitchener's New Army) and came under orders of 92nd Brigade of original 31st Division. Moved to Westcliff-on-Sea.
10 April 1915 (see below): converted into a reserve battalion. Moved in May 1915 to Belhus Park and went on in October to Seaford.
1 September 1916 (see below) : 14th Battalion absorbed into the Training Reserve Battalion of, and 15th became 18th Training Reserve Battalion of, 4th Reserve Brigade at Seaford.

How long 18th Training Reserve Battalion remained at Seaford is of course another matter. After those who joined the unit on its creation as trainees had moved on, the new crop of trainees would have worn the general service cap badge, breaking the link to the KRRC.

In May 1917 it became the 18th Young Soldier Battalion.

Note: (my addition to above assistance) -- Ernest's police service record shows that he joined up on 26 April 1915 this would put him in the 14th and 15th (Reserve) Battalions and by May 1916 he would have been at Belhus Park and then Seaford in October. The 1st September 1916 saw the 15th Battalion become the 18th Training Reserve Battalion - this ties in with the information that I gave you about his 2 days leave granted on 24 & 25 September 1916. The Battalion were still at Seaford.

Allan

Offline Studham56

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Wednesday 01 September 21 12:44 BST (UK) »
That is amazing Allan, thank you for that and please thank your friend for his help too. It is quiet amazing as my wife's family all come from Seaford they have been there for generations and I don't live to far away from there now I know they have a museum there so must pop in to see if they had any photos or data.

Once again
Many Thanks Allan
Best Regards
Richard

Offline AllanUK

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Wednesday 01 September 21 13:34 BST (UK) »
You are more than welcome Richard, I hope that you find something at the museum.

Best wishes,
Allan