Author Topic: You're as old as you feel  (Read 1586 times)

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
You're as old as you feel
« on: Tuesday 31 August 21 10:02 BST (UK) »
I've just come across a second marriage for a woman in a tree I am researching.
She is marrying someone 8 years her junior. Her first marriage was in 1830, so this chance 1861 one gave me a father's name. However the clergyman didn't seem quite as happy about the event:
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: You're as old as you feel
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 12:00 BST (UK) »
Hmm not a huge age gap and 63 today wouldn't be regarded as old.  Age gaps between bride and groom were quite common.

From your point of view you got the bonus of her father's name.

My great grandparents had an age gap of 10 years and she was the older one.  Mind you she fibbed about her age on the marriage cert!
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 13:07 BST (UK) »
  One of my gr grandmothers was 8 years older than her husband and would have been 28 when they married. There were no ages given, as this was early 19th C. but I expect the locals all knew anyway!

Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 13:43 BST (UK) »
Cheeky monkey!
Old at 63!
Naaaah! You are as old as you feel but more importantly as young as you can act!
As Mrs.Merton said to Debbie McGee re her marriage to Paul Daniels “ And what is a young woman like you marrying an an ageing millionaire for?
Or words to that effect.
Good job Debbie had a good sense of humour !
Viktoria.

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 02 September 21 22:52 BST (UK) »
As people didn't live to be that old in 1861, she most likely would have Been classed as an old lady, some women are still working at 63 and older, these days. When my Mother was my age, she seemed and looked like an old lady! How times change.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 03 September 21 08:06 BST (UK) »
Don't make the mistake of thinks average age of death meant that people did not live into their 80s and 90s in previous centuries, they did.
The averages were skewed by the enormous amount of infant deaths that brought the average way down, and indeed by the number of young women dying in childbirth.
These are just two instances why many people died sooner than they would today.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline Top-of-the-hill

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 03 September 21 15:45 BST (UK) »
  I have just remembered some research I did last year on one of our local clergymen. At the age of 23, he married a widow of 50, which must have caused some comment, but she seems to have been an acceptable rector's wife and lived to nearly 80.
Pay, Kent
Codham/Coltham, Kent
Kent, Felton, Essex
Staples, Wiltshire

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 03 September 21 16:15 BST (UK) »
Don't make the mistake of thinks average age of death meant that people did not live into their 80s and 90s in previous centuries, they did.
The averages were skewed by the enormous amount of infant deaths that brought the average way down, and indeed by the number of young women dying in childbirth.
These are just two instances why many people died sooner than they would today.
Cheers
Guy

I stand corrected, I have only got my own female ancestors to compare it to  ::)

Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline andrewalston

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My granddad
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 04 September 21 15:32 BST (UK) »
I've just checked up in the clergyman. Not found him in the 1861 census, though he took marriages just before and after, but he's in training in 1851, aged 17.

Virtually everyone must look old to a 27-year-old curate.  ;D
Looking at ALSTON in south Ribble area, ALSTEAD and DONBAVAND/DUNBABIN etc. everywhere, HOWCROFT and MARSH in Bolton and Westhoughton, PICKERING in the Whitehaven area.

Census information is Crown Copyright. See www.nationalarchives.gov.uk for details.