Author Topic: Where is James PALMER and family in the Reading area in the 1841 Census  (Read 772 times)

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • The grass covers and the rain effaces. Victor Hugo
    • View Profile
Where is James PALMER and family in the Reading area in the 1841 Census
« on: Tuesday 31 August 21 11:33 BST (UK) »
Have already started a thread on this board about the PALMER family of Reading, but this is a more specific request, if I may...
I cannot seem to be able to find John PALMER in the 1841 Census.  Just as in the 1851, the family name may have been mistranscribed.  In this 1851 he gives his age as 70, born in Hurst nearby.  There's a 23-06-1776 baptism that could well be him.  Also, as his wife Sarah is only 30 in that 1851, a marriage on 25-11-1850 to a Sarah Ann PYKE could be theirs.
Therefore he could very well have been married before, and either of an 02-03-1834 marriage to a Martha GOSWELL at St Mary's Reading, or a 25-09-1837 marriage to a Harriett EVANS at the same church could be his. (Or both!) So in this 1841 Census he may well have a Martha or a Harriett as his wife
There is another James Palmer in the area, as there's a 16-09-1781 baptism for him at East Garston.  This would fit better with an age of 70 in 1851, but I prefer the 1776 baptism as he gives his birthplace as Hurst, and East Garston appears to be much further away.
All conjectural, I realise.  So, apologies for my longwindedness, but if anyone can spot James and his family in that 1841 in Reading I would be most grateful!
Keith

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Where is John PALMER and family in the Reading area in the 1841 Census
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 11:51 BST (UK) »
The only John Palmer I can see on the 1841 on family search may not help too much.
Institution: Lucas Hospital.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 12:07 BST (UK) »
I do not see a marriage registration for the marriage to Sarah, which would help.

There is this marriage for John Palmer to Elizabeth Holderness both single

12 Nov 1820 Bray, Berkshire

Death
PALMER, ELIZABETH       72 
GRO Reference: 1846  S Quarter in READING  Volume 06  Page 182

Colin

Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 12:24 BST (UK) »
ColC,
Thanks so much for taking the time to search for John PALMER  for me on the 1841.  He's made himself particularly invisible, I'm afraid.  In those earlier days he seems to have been residing in the parish of St Mary's Reading, if that narrows things down a little. But I suspect a mistranscription to be the main culprit...
Keith
As Candrjm said on my previous post on this board, the family is mistranscribed as PALMEN in the 1851 Census...

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 12:31 BST (UK) »
In this 1851 he gives his age as 70, born in Hurst nearby.  There's a 23-06-1776 baptism that could well be him.  Also, as his wife Sarah is only 30 in that 1851, a marriage on 25-11-1850 to a Sarah Ann PYKE could be theirs.

Where exactly is John in 1851?

The only 70 year old Palmer I can find, born in Hurst and with a 30 year old wife called Sarah is James, at 31 Coley Street.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 12:41 BST (UK) »
Just what I was going to say ;)

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 13:08 BST (UK) »
There is another James Palmer in the area, as there's a 16-09-1781 baptism for him at East Garston.  This would fit better with an age of 70 in 1851, but I prefer the 1776 baptism as he gives his birthplace as Hurst, and East Garston appears to be much further away.
All conjectural, I realise.  So, apologies for my longwindedness, but if anyone can spot James and his family in that 1841 in Reading I would be most grateful!
Keith

Please can you clarify - are you looking for James (as in the quote above) or John as in your subject line?

As Candrjm said on my previous post on this board, the family is mistranscribed as PALMEN in the 1851 Census...

It’s James mistranscribed as Palmen, not John, as far as I can see  :-\

Offline Keith Sherwood

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is James PALMER and family in the Reading area in the 1841 Census
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 13:39 BST (UK) »
Oh, sorry, sorry everyone, and all your wasted time!  I should have asked after a James PALMER, not John.  All the details I gave are for a James PALMER.
Senior moment, I hang my head in shame...
Keith

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Where is James PALMER and family in the Reading area in the 1841 Census
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 August 21 13:46 BST (UK) »
In this 1851 he gives his age as 70, born in Hurst nearby.  There's a 23-06-1776 baptism that could well be him.  Also, as his wife Sarah is only 30 in that 1851, a marriage on 25-11-1850 to a Sarah Ann PYKE could be theirs.

In 1851 James & Sarah have three sons with them: Andrew 6, John 5, and Alfred two weeks.

Have you not checked out their births on the GRO website?

Andrew (born Tilehurst, which is in Bradfield RD) and Alfred born Reading have mother's maiden surname Eustace.
John was born in Hampshire, his birth registered in Kingsclere RD also gives mother maiden surname as Eustace.

freeBMD shows this marriage: James Palmer & Sarah Eustace, 1st q 1843, Bradfield 209.