Author Topic: William Stewart  (Read 1780 times)

Offline WolfeEye

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
William Stewart
« on: Wednesday 01 September 21 16:37 BST (UK) »
William Stewart (originally from Coalisland, Ireland) emigrated to England with much of his family and moved about the country building public works. In a letter dated 31 March 1868 (which I've added as an attachment below) to his brother Samuel he mentions that his two sons, James and Richard, are working with him in Hull. He also refers to a younger son named George and "numerous girls." I've checked the English censuses but I haven't been able to find any trace of him or his family. Maybe he wasn't on any of the censuses because he moved around so much? I'd appreciate if if anyone could help me solve this brick wall.
Thanks.
Ireland: Dilworth/Stewart/Twigg (Coalisland), Hurst/Hirst (Tullyrain), Edwards (Cavantillycormick), Dinnen (Cavanlough), Patton/Patten (Raphoe), Moore (Breagho)

Scotland: Lugton/Laughton, King (Prestonkirk), Moar (Orkney)

Canada: Knott, Mclelland (Alice, Pembroke), Udgaarden (Moose Factory)

Finland: Aurelius, Thuronius, Juslenius, Wallensteen, Barck, Bure, Svard, Sursill, Esping

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: William Stewart
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 01 September 21 23:53 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat

Any idea as to birthyears for Thomas or his sons?  What was his wife's name?
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline WolfeEye

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 02 September 21 22:35 BST (UK) »
Hi thanks,
Do you mean William? I do know that he was born around 1811 in Ireland and that one of his wives was named Sarah. Unfortunatley, I don't know the birthdates of his sons George, Samuel or Richard. But I do know the birth and death date for his son William (1846-1921) who returned to Ireland from Hull shortly after his wife Mary died in 1869.
Ireland: Dilworth/Stewart/Twigg (Coalisland), Hurst/Hirst (Tullyrain), Edwards (Cavantillycormick), Dinnen (Cavanlough), Patton/Patten (Raphoe), Moore (Breagho)

Scotland: Lugton/Laughton, King (Prestonkirk), Moar (Orkney)

Canada: Knott, Mclelland (Alice, Pembroke), Udgaarden (Moose Factory)

Finland: Aurelius, Thuronius, Juslenius, Wallensteen, Barck, Bure, Svard, Sursill, Esping

Offline Milliepede

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 03 September 21 16:16 BST (UK) »
But I do know the birth and death date for his son William (1846-1921) who returned to Ireland from Hull shortly after his wife Mary died in 1869.

Was he born in Hull or in Ireland?

Have you got him on any census in Hull?
Hinchliffe - Huddersfield Wiltshire
Burroughs - Arlingham Glos
Pick - Frocester Glos