Author Topic: Copyright of family tree photos on Ancestry  (Read 956 times)

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Copyright of family tree photos on Ancestry
« Reply #9 on: Friday 03 September 21 08:49 BST (UK) »
For the life of me I can't see the point of uploading photos to trees that will remain private - doesn't that mean nobody else will be able to see them, and if you have uploaded them you already know what they look like.

Why are you putting them out there then?

Pheno
Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Friday 03 September 21 10:31 BST (UK) »
        ...I will now sit back and wait to be slaughtered for having the nerve to make such an outlandish suggestion.

Well, I won't be shooting you down. A similar suggestion has been made by an archivist I know - to put some form of watermark on the photo and do it diagonally across faces so that it makes it harder to photoshop out.

I've asked Ancestry about the copyright situation of photos in private trees and will post back what they say.

Offline Flemming

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Friday 03 September 21 10:41 BST (UK) »
For the life of me I can't see the point of uploading photos to trees that will remain private - doesn't that mean nobody else will be able to see them, and if you have uploaded them you already know what they look like.

Why are you putting them out there then?

Pheno

We all have different reasons for putting trees on Ancestry, public or private, with or without photos, and, just because one person doesn't understand another's motives, doesn't make those motives wrong or stupid, which is how your post comes across, even if it wasn't meant that way.

I can only speak for myself in saying I get great comfort in seeing my family's faces in my tree as I'm working on it, and so they are there for my benefit, not anyone else's. And my tree is kept private largely because there are some acute sensitivities with it, but it is searchable so ThruLines can find common ancestors, both for me and others looking for family.

I'm also willing to help others who approach me, and always do this, although it is rarely reciprocated, even by those with public trees who you might think would be more likely to assist others.

Offline Pheno

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Friday 03 September 21 17:21 BST (UK) »
I have no issue with people making their trees either private or public, with or without photos.  What I was meaning was, in the case of private trees why then complain about copyright issues of photos lifted from the tree by people to whom you have allowed guest access.  The easiest way to avoid this is either not to upload photos or not to allow access to anyone.

It just seems to me that one is asking for trouble by uploading photos initially, but especially by then allowing access to some individuals. 

As for sensitivities, if to do with living people then they will not be shown by Ancestry and if relating to people who have gone before - well no reflection on you whatsoever.

There seems to be a constant stream of threads about copyright when it seems to me it could all be avoided.

Pheno

Austin/Austen - Sussex & London
Bond - Berkshire & London
Bishop - Sussex & Kent
Holland - Essex
Nevitt - Cheshire & Staffordshire
Wray - Yorkshire