Author Topic: Diary > Summary- Week ending 12th September 2021  (Read 3145 times)

Offline Caw1

• RootsChat Senior
  • Joyce Irene Harriss 1920 - 2011
    • View Profile
Re: Diary > Summary- Week ending 12th September 2021
« Reply #18 on: Saturday 11 September 21 16:39 BST (UK) »
Good to hear everyone is getting on with life… especially Roobarb…wow what great strides you’ve made this week… having been shut away for so long you’ve certainly spread you wings far and wide… great so pleased to hear 😀..sorry to hear your taste is still not back… that glass of Chardonnay is going be getting cobwebs on it if you don’t drink it soon 😂😂.

Viktoria you seem to cope with whatever adversity is thrown at you with great aplomb… I’m not sure I am as calm as you .. in fact I know I’m not! Keep your wonderful takes coming they’re a real tonic. Hope you get to Shropshire soon to see your friend and more of FH too!

Well  done LM for getting round to your DNA test finally… I’m so pleased I did mine a few years ago as it’s gradually confirmed not only that I am who I think I am…
 if that makes sense but I’ve found quite a few new cousins from my Dads side of the family which has always been tricky…
in fact yesterday I spent THE WHOLE DAY doing research 😳😳😀 as I thought I’d got one side incorrect …
one of my 4 x gt grandmas was married twice and I was having a hard time working it out and not finding conclusive recorded to verify it until I had that lightbulb moment when up popped a report on her and the three children from the Poor Law records and it confirmed one very important fact which had me leaping about with joy to the usual roll of the eyes from my OH 😩😩
If I’d not taken the DNA test I’d have never worked it all out in the first place so I hope you get some great results…

Bushinn - glad to hear you’re out and about and hope that your testing health issues will gradually disappear!

Mare - despite the circumstances that NZ finds itself in a bit like Oz too it’s always interesting to hear what’s going on in other countries from the horses mouth so to speak  …
I try not to read the papers too much or watch the news as I’m either going to throw the tv out the window, burst a blood vessel or jump off the nearest high place!
My son lives in Qld and is constantly having a moan about not being able to get out of the state let alone the country! He hopes to see us before 2065 he says… I’ll more than likely be deceased by then! So I hope he’s wrong!

This week has been an extremely hot one and the garden is beginning to suffer.. lovely to have the warmth at this stage of the month and can it please last until after next w/end when I’ve a big birthday to celebrate!

Take care everyone and keep on living the life we should be and watch out for all those who still don’t think of others… no RC’s included in that statement!

Caroline
Guy - UK,USA
Bangerter -UK,Australia,Switzerland
Harriss - UK, Australia
Merrall - UK
Swinnock - UK
Lloyd - UK

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Saturday 11 September 21 18:16 BST (UK) »
Well, went shopping today armed with shopping trolley!
Got on a bus then thought -“ did I lock the door and put the alarm on?”
Got off the bus,went the short distance home ,yes I had!
Got on another then thought ,yes ,but did I lock the back  door ?-
Well too bad was not going back a second time.
I had done both actually .
Got off the bus returning ,laden with shopping and there on the ground
was a big dragon fly!On the pavement .a black one with lime green patches .A Hawker when I looked it up.
But it’s head seemed to be almost detached from its body .
Fluttered it’s wings , so I took it home and put it on some reeds growing out of my little pond.
It seemed to want to put the end of its tail in the water abd Inwonderd if it would lay eggs.
The larvae are like something from a horror story,swallow tadpoles whole and alive or suck them dry.
We watched it happen in the  school  pond.
It looked groggy, is still there so will leave it.
If it dies I will send it to Flash Harry ,he is interested in things like that.
No one ever says “ ugh!” So he has no dislike of such things .

Got chicken breast fillets ,mushrooms , and will wrap the chicken in streaky bacon .Green beans,peas and new potatoes.
Strawberries for dessert.
Must make some scones ,I like Morrison’s SR flour,a good “lift”.
Anyone watch the Bake Off programme last night . ?
It was better I thought.
Then I had hours of The Everly  Brothers ,with their lovely harmonising.
However ,did not play the one brother singing “ The Air  That I Breathe”.
Really lovely.

Bright with a cool breeze , and just above chilly, today .

Last night of The Proms, Gareth Malone is guest.
However Bettany Hughes is on Gibraltar ,with examples of Neanderthal art .
Later a programme about inconvenient Royals where Sarah Ferguson and Meghan,Duchess of Sussex are linked and compared .
Well given what has - seemingly - been revealed about Prince Andrew perhaps Sarah was more sinned against than sinning.

So if I don’t do scones now it will be tomorrow!
Keep well everyone and thanks for the news.
And as Barney McVane of the Dubliners would say “ If I haven’t said that before well this will be the first time!”
Ooooh,The Dubliners!

Cheerio.Viktoria.

Online Roobarb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Looking for that elusive branch!
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Saturday 11 September 21 23:15 BST (UK) »
Caroline, I've taken a bottle of Chardonnay out of the garage and put it in the kitchen as something to aim towards.  :D I haven't got to the point of putting it into the fridge yet though. I'm going to be a seriously cheap date when I do get round to it!

I echo your responses to everyone's news, haven't managed to make my own replies.
Always good to hear about your exploits Viktoria  :)
Bell, Salter, Street - Devon, Middlesbrough.
Lickess- North Yorkshire, Middlesbrough.
Etherington - North Yorks and Durham.
Barker- North Yorks
Crooks- Durham
Forster- North Yorks/Durham
Newsam, Pattison, Proud - North Yorks.
Timothy, Griffiths, Jones - South Wales

Offline ThrelfallYorky

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 12 September 21 16:07 BST (UK) »
I too, further north and over more centrally, from you, Viktoria, have had several really big glossy bright dragonflies this year - but, oddly, fewer of the smaller similar ones, think they're damselflies. Even watched one slowly "hatch" itself from its last skin as it clung to the long leaf of an iris. I was quite transfixed there, it took ages before, having "pumped" its wings, to expand them to shape, it finally took off. So transfixed I never thought to pop back inside, and bring a video camera out. Such a shame.
TY
Threlfall (Southport), Isherwood (lancs & Canada), Newbould + Topliss(Derby), Keating & Cummins (Ireland + lancs), Fisher, Strong& Casson (all Cumberland) & Downie & Bowie, Linlithgow area Scotland . Also interested in Leigh& Burrows,(Lancashire) Griffiths (Shropshire & lancs), Leaver (Lancs/Yorks) & Anderson(Cumberland and very elusive)

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 12 September 21 18:07 BST (UK) »
R.I.P.
Poor thing is dead,hopefully as it did put the end of its body in the water it has laid eggs,although there were two side whiskers but I did not see the ovipositor .
I will send it to F.H.
Perhaps it is a male ,the females are according to my info source more dark brown than black on the underside.
Well drain man came as promised, most pleasant and helpful ,explained what csn and cannot be done both as regards effectiveness and the legal side of it all etc.
Will send a an estimate no doubt.
I might have to sell the piano!

Made my scones,very light and soft, I do like Morrison’s S,R. flour.

Just listened to Ravel’s Bolero!Classic FM.
They do seem to cut out minutes at the start,that snare drum, used to be much longer.
Played by the Liverpool Philharmonic,but soooo dreary,no fire or brio.
I see Hannibal crossing the Alps with the elephants ,what is it about exactly?
Or is it I who see time whizzing by now I am so old ?

Saw something funny ,a dog, looked like a Great Dane , put out a small fire in its home by spending a doggy penny on the burning material!
Can’t find it again for exact details .
.Right Musicman ,over to you , what can you add to that?
I can’t think of anything daft to say.

Well must start to cook my evening meal, everything prepped.
Cheerio folks.
Viktoria.

Offline River Tyne Lass

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 12 September 21 19:48 BST (UK) »
Darn it!  Trying to get to nightshift but there are huge problems because of the Great North Run.  Unexpectedly, we had to alight just outside city centre and driver didn't think to tell me that bus station was going to be shut to buses - all day so a sign says.
I spoke to a 'marshall' who directed me to the back of the Civic Centre.  No buses there!
Went and found another marshall.  He said go back to the Civic Centre.  Nothing!  Then another marshall said, no, roads just opened again.  No buses now coming to Civic Centre.  Now I am somewhere else hoping simething will turn up.  I have had to ring work.  I am definitely going to be late by the looks of things. Very disgruntled.  Apparently, things should have been back to normal by 6 pm but there has been some bother on Tyne Bridge which has affected everything. :(

What a mess!  Now I have been told no buses so I will have to get a metro then walk.  Will now be hugely late! >:(
Conroy, Fitzpatrick, Watson, Miller, Davis/Davies, Brown, Senior, Dodds, Grieveson, Gamesby, Simpson, Rose, Gilboy, Malloy, Dalton, Young, Saint, Anderson, Allen, McKetterick, McCabe, Drummond, Parkinson, Armstrong, McCarroll, Innes, Marshall, Atkinson, Glendinning, Fenwick, Bonner

Offline louisa maud

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 12 September 21 20:18 BST (UK) »
Oh  dear  RTL,  what  a mess, hope  you weren't  too   late   for  your shift, I am  sure you  will be forgiven  given  the circumstances beyond  your control
Take  care

Louisa  Maud
Census information is Crown Copyright,
from  www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Granath Sweden and London
Garner, Marylebone Paddington  Northolt Ilford
Garner, Devon
Garner New Zealand
Maddieson
Parkinson St Pancras,
Jenkins Marylebone Paddington
Mizon/Mison/Myson Paddington
Tindal Marylebone Paddington
Tocock, (name changed to Ellis) London
Southam Marylebone, Paddington
Bragg Lambeth 1800's
Edermaniger(Maniger) Essex Kent Canada (Toronto)
Coveney Kent Lambeth
Sondes kent and London

Offline Viktoria

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 12 September 21 20:41 BST (UK) »
Just lost a post to you RTL,someone else posted so mine has gone walkabout ..
But I do not know how you  manage anyway, without the added difficulties of today!
Hope you have not incurred extra travel costs .

Doesn’t it get dark early now and  stay dark longer too!
Anyone would think it was Autumn !

Hope you get some time for yourself RTL.
Cheerio everyone
Viktoria.

Offline Mowsehowse

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 12 September 21 22:29 BST (UK) »
Sympathies to you RTL.  :'(
It is horrible when you can't get the transport you expect to be available, but what a total nightmare when timing is vital.
Hope it didn't throw you for the entire shift.
BORCHARDT in Poland/Germany, BOSKOWITZ in Czechoslovakia, Hungary + Austria, BUSS in Baden, Germany + Switzerland, FEKETE in Hungary + Austria, GOTTHILF in Hammerstein + Berlin, GUBLER, GYSI, LABHARDT & RYCHNER in Switzerland, KONIG & KRONER in Germany, PLACZEK, WUNSCH & SILBERBERG in Poland.

Also: ROWSE in Brixham, Tenby, Hull & Ramsgate. Strongman, in Falmouth. Champion. Coke. Eame/s. Gibbons. Passmore. Pulsever. Sparkes in Brixham & Ramsgate. Toms in Cornwall. Waymoth. Wyatt.