Author Topic: Pykes of (West) Weeke  (Read 1482 times)

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Pykes of (West) Weeke
« on: Sunday 05 September 21 17:37 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I’ve been researching the Pykes of (West) Weeke/(West) Wick and I was wondering if someone wouldn’t mind having a look over the work I’ve done as this is my first real foray into pre-1600s family history and I need some fresh eyes to see if I’ve missed anything! I’m pretty excited because it’s a new line I’ve only just opened up after stumbling upon a 1695 marriage licence I had been looking for for quite a while.

What I know:

Henry Pyke (1631-1700) m. Elizabeth Lyddiard in 1656 and had children: Henry (1658), Thorpe (1660), Philip, John (1663), Elizabeth (1665), Simon (1666), Mary (1669), my ancestor Sarah (1669), who married William Head in 1695, and, finally, Thomas (1672). 

They are all mentioned in the will of Henry Pyke of Weeke in the parish of Pewsey, which was proved in 1700. 

Going back futher:

Henry Pyke of Weeke was the son of Thorpe & Margery Pyke.

Thorpe Pyke of Weeke m. Margery Berger in 1630/31 and had children:
my ancestor Henry (1631), John Pyke (1634), Mary Pyke (1642). It looks like Thorpe may have also had a son named after him who was born in 1630 in Corsham but I don’t know who the mother is and I can find no further mention of him.

Going back even further!

I know Thorpe had a brother called Symon as he is mentioned in his will, which was proved in 1654: https://www.math.mun.ca/~dapike/family_history/pike/Wills/PykeSymon_WoottenRivers_1654.shtml

I noted that his first son was called Henry and Thorpe’s son was called Henry so it seemed logical that their father would also be called Henry.

Thorpe & Symon are also mentioned in the will of John Pyke of Rainscombe, which was proved in 1634:
https://www.math.mun.ca/~dapike/family_history/pike/Wills/PikeJohn_RamscombeNorthNewntonWilts_1634.shtml

They are described as his ‘kinsmen,’ along with a ‘Thomas Pyke of Rainscombe,’ who is described as John’s godson. He also leaves money to Thomas' sons Henry & Thomas, Symon's son Henry and Thorpe's son Henry.

Thorpe Pyke & Thomas Pyke are both mentioned in the administration of John Pyke of West Weeke, who died in 1625. There is a burial record for a John Pyke, son of Henry in 1625, which is probably his. In my mind, this is probably Thorpe & Thomas' brother.

Thomas Pyke married Agnes Hide in 1616 and is described as ‘of Weeke’ at the time of his marriage. After his marriage, his father’s estate of Rainscombe was settled on him. He seems to bounce between ‘of Weeke’ and ‘of Rainscombe’ and in his burial record and will, he is described as the former.

His father also did the same; he was described as ‘Henry Pyke of Weeke, gen’ in the 1607 book of freeholders and Henry of West Weeke in his administration, but his 1636 inquisition post mortem mentions his Ranscomb (Rainscombe) estate. His administration does mention a Simon Pyke but I can’t make out a ‘Thorpe’ (having said that, it is not particularly legible).

Given the abundance of ‘circumstantial’ evidence above, do you think I can say with confidence that Henry Pyke (d.1636) was the father of Thomas (d.1653), John (d.1625), Simon (d.1654) and my ancestor Thorpe (d.1672)? I'm thinking John Pyke of Rainscombe (d.1634) was their uncle.

Maybe I am being pedantic but I am a real stickler for accuracy; I don't just want to collect names if they are not my ancestors. This is the further back I've ever gone (for the same reason) and I would really appreciate if somebody wouldn't mind giving a second opinion.

Sorry for the long read, thanks in advance!

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset

Offline Capetown

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Pykes of (West) Weeke
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 September 21 19:05 BST (UK) »
Have you checked the National Archives?

https://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Just had a quick look...

Date: 26 May 1673

(2) Henry PYKE of Ramscombe, gent., Thomas, his brother and Henry PYKE of Weeke....

Reference: 9/5/33

Description: Henry PYKE of Rambscombe, gent., Thomas, his brother, and Henry PYKE of Weeke, Pewsey, yeoman, executors in trust of the Will of Stephen HIDE, late of Stitchombe., gent., (3) Ann, widow of Stephen HIDE.

The site of Puthall Farm in Little Bedwyn., a toft or close of pasture called Pitt Close (30a) since divided into four and called Pryors Close on the south side of Puthall Lane in Mildenhall, and the grass of 2a in Withigg Mead in the manor of Stitchombe.

Consideration, surrender of a lease of 16 December 1657 and £200.  Rent. £5

Offline QueenoftheWest

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Pykes of (West) Weeke
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 05 September 21 19:16 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Yes, I assume that is Henry & Thomas, sons of Thomas Pyke of Rainscombe (d.1653) and my ancestor Henry, son of Thorpe Pyke of Weeke (d.1672). If my theory is correct, then I suppose Henry & Thomas of Rainscombe and Henry of Weeke would be cousins but no relationship is mentioned. They are all just described as Stephen's 'kinsmen.' Stephen Hyde is a name that comes up frequently but I am not exactly sure how he fits in.

I just want to make sure there aren't any glaring errors in my theory.

Thanks,

Queenie  :)
Fidler - West Ilsley, Berkshire
Hamlin/Hamlyn - Long Sutton & Martock, Somerset
Head - Marlborough & Alton Priors, Wiltshire
Minson - Kingstone, Somerset/Symondsbury, Dorset
Owsley - Buckland St Mary, Somerset
Pyke - (West) Weeke/Wick, Pewsey, Wiltshire
Salisbury - Dowlish Wake/West Dowlish, Somerset