Author Topic: St. Johns Churchyard Wakefield  (Read 473 times)

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
St. Johns Churchyard Wakefield
« on: Sunday 05 September 21 18:08 BST (UK) »
Does anyone know what happened to the burial ground at the church?  A circa 1900 photo which I saw 10 or so years ago showed a vibrant cemetery with large memorials and lots of upright stones.  Now only a handful and few in the ground. 

I sent the church warden an email he didn't know, the Museum/Library no idea and the Heritage or local Council haven't responded.

Did they remove these for safety reasons?

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Guy Etchells

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: St. Johns Churchyard Wakefield
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 05 September 21 20:04 BST (UK) »
I came to Wakefield in the early 70s and give or take a couple of stones the graveyard was like that then. It is very possible that the stones were removed in the 50s early 60s when a number of churchyards removed stones to enable mechanical mowing.
There should be something in the church records as the removal would require a faculty.
Cheers
Guy
http://anguline.co.uk/Framland/index.htm   The site that gives you facts not promises!
http://burial-inscriptions.co.uk Tombstones & Monumental Inscriptions.

As we have gained from the past, we owe the future a debt, which we pay by sharing today.

Offline dobfarm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Scarcliffe village Derbyshire
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 06 September 21 09:42 BST (UK) »
  Hi,

Usually (Not always) readable epitaph inscriptions are recorded of the removed head or flats stones and held in the local library or archive. Wakefield archives or History Centre (Its new name) most likely is the best place to contact first or they could advise on other repositories who may hold such information in the area like Leeds or Bradford (WYAS for both aforesaid archives) or Huddersfield/Halifax as it does not always follow that the nearest or local archives automatically will hold local historical documentations. (As saying goes "far from it")
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Any transcription of information does not identify or prove anything.
Intended as a Guide only in ancestry research.-It is up to the reader as to any Judgment of assessments of information given! to check from original sources.

In my opinion the marriage residence is not always the place of birth. Never forget Workhouse and overseers accounts records of birth

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 September 21 17:52 BST (UK) »
Thank you both.

I think this will will require a visit. 

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.