Author Topic: WHERE to find colonial court records in Essex Co., NJ  (Read 739 times)

Offline BPettit

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
WHERE to find colonial court records in Essex Co., NJ
« on: Tuesday 07 September 21 18:43 BST (UK) »
I'm not asking for someone to look these up.  Just need to know where to find them!

I am looking for records in Essex Co., New Jersey for the years 1765-1768 that involve insolvent debtors.  This would most likely have been handled by the Court of Common Pleas BUT not by the regular secession. (Regular court of common plea minutes are online at familysearch.) 

Instead these petitions would be done by a special court of common pleas.  There may also be an actual record book just for insolvent debtor petitions as in other counties in NJ.   

I have spoken with the Essex Co Clerk's office and Essex Co Register of Deeds and neither knew what I was talking about or offered any help.  Other counties, like Monmouth, have these records archived by the county clerk. https://www.monmouthcountyclerk.com/archives/searchable-databases/

I suspect they are there at the Essex Co courthouse as well but don't know what they have, where they are at and nobody there has any interest in answering these questions.  I am about 3000 miles away so I can't ask in person.

Offline mckha489

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: WHERE to find colonial court records in Essex Co., NJ
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 September 21 21:55 BST (UK) »

Offline sbny357

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: WHERE to find colonial court records in Essex Co., NJ
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 26 September 21 04:11 BST (UK) »
I would also suggest you contact the New Jersey State Archives. Many colonial records were transferred there:
https://www.nj.gov/state/archives/index.html

Steve