Author Topic: Cassidy - Kirkintilloch  (Read 577 times)

Offline stephaniexp

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cassidy - Kirkintilloch
« on: Tuesday 07 September 21 19:51 BST (UK) »
I have recently uncovered more information on family relatives who lived in Scotland.

My grandfather was a James Cassidy who was born in 1911 in Kirkintilloch, he had a twin brother called Samuel. They were both brought over to Northern Ireland when they were very young. It would appear their mother who was a mary McNicol died and their father Thomas Samuel Cassidy went to the United States.

The other brother who was called William Cassidy stayed behind in Kirkintilloch and we would love to know what has happened to him, family relatives can remember him going back to Northern Ireland to visit after he got married but we don't know his wife's name. Though we do know they adopted a boy, who was called George.
Searching online William is meant to have died around 1985 in Kirkintilloch, though not sure where he is burried at etc.
His son George Cassidy is meant to have died around 2015 in Kirkintilloch as well.

We would love to be able to find out what happened to William.

Offline dowdstree

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Mary Malcolm - 1860 to 1945 - My Great Granny
    • View Profile
Re: Cassidy - Kirkintilloch
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 07 September 21 21:47 BST (UK) »
There is a William John Cassidy born 1910 - Kirkintilloch. He married a Jean Armour Jaap in 1941.
Jean died in 1952 aged 48. William John Cassidy who died in 1985 has the mother's maiden name of McNicol so it looks like this would all check out. This has all been taken from the Index on Scotlandspeople. You would be able to download the Birth, Marriage and Death Certificate for Jean but William's death certificate would have to be ordered at a cost of £12.00 plus postage. Have you ever used this site before? If not let me know and I will help you further.

There is a George Jaap Cassidy who married a Anne Struthers Robertson in Glasgow in 1965. Could this be the adopted son of William and his wife Jean? Again the certificate would need to be ordered.
Looking at the index again it would appear that the George Cassidy who died in 2015 had the mother's maiden name of Brown. From this I can only surmise that George Jaap Cassidy may still be alive.

We do have a policy here on Rootschat about looking for living people. It is against the rules. But the above may give you something to go on in your search.

Dorrie

Small, County Antrim & Dundee
Dickson, County Down & Dundee
Madden, County Westmeath
Patrick, Fife
Easson, Fife
Leslie, Fife
Paterson, Fife

Offline GR2

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Cassidy - Kirkintilloch
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 07 September 21 21:58 BST (UK) »
Thomas S, Cassidy married Mary McNicol in Kirkintilloch in 1909.

William John Cassidy was born there in 1910.

Mary McNicol died there in 1912, aged 24.