Author Topic: Uploading wills for help with handwriting  (Read 453 times)

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Uploading wills for help with handwriting
« on: Thursday 09 September 21 03:06 BST (UK) »
Hi,

I have 3 wills from the 1680/90s that I need help with but from recent experience with baptisms,I am having trouble attaching things on this forum.
Does anyone have any suggestions on how best to do this?
Previous efforts either would not attach or would not open.

Thanks

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Uploading wills for help with handwriting
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 09 September 21 04:43 BST (UK) »
It's hard to know what's happening if they would not 'attach or open' as you say.

It's quite an easy process - once you can get the hang of it! :)

There are help pages on attaching an image, which I presume you have read through and are still having problems.
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,130922.0.html

Basically, you need to create an image from your document, a will, say, that you can attach to a post.
Often with a will, it's a good idea to split it up into several bits, as if you post the whole thing, the writing would be too small to read.

If you click on the 'Attachments and other options' in blue underneath every box where you write a  post, you'll see the only type of files that will work are txt, rif, jpg, jpeg, gif, mpg, png, and ged.
In my experience, most image files tend to be jpeg - these always seem to work ok.
So you need to create a jpeg image of the document you want looked at.

I don't know what sort of computer you work on - a PC or MAC, but for both you can get a graphics program where you can crop a section of a document and save it (I use iphoto on a MAC).
The other option is to use 'snipping tool' on a PC, or 'Grab' on a MAC, that enables you to 'cut out' a section of whatever's on the computer screen at the time. I know Grab saves the bit you've cut out as a tiff file, so you then have to change this to save it as a jpeg. Not sure about 'snipping tool'.

Remember to save that new bit with a different name to the original, or you may find the original written over (adding an 'a' or similar will change the name of the new image).
Then you have to make sure it is less than 500 kb in file size. It helps for transcribing to get the file size as near to 500kb as possible. If it's only 150 kb say, it will be unreadable. There should be a facility in the graphics program to reduce the file size before you save it.
And I know in 'Grab', you can vary the size of the file when you re-save it by using the 'quality' slider.

You should then be able to upload it under the blue 'attachments and other options' tab.
Sometimes there may be an error message saying the name of your file has already been used - in which case you need to alter that; and sometimes it will say the file size is too big if you've forgotten to reduce it to under 500kb. (and under 300 kbs each image if you're posting more than one little one). With wills, it's best to just post one image at a time, with file size as near to 500 kb as possible.

I hope this helps and you can get the help you need.

Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline horselydown86

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 09 September 21 04:55 BST (UK) »
Goldie has posted a full reply while I was writing.  There's still some value in my response, so I proceed.

See my Reply #5 here:

https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=823393.msg6866209#msg6866209

In making the clips, please limit each snippet from the will to 8 - 10 lines of text.  Preferably post no more than 2 snippets at one time, then wait until they have been processed before posting more.

It's best to overlap each snippet by at least one full line of text at top and bottom.

Post your own transcript of the text in the board message itself, rather than a separate file.  Post transcript which matches the snippet(s) attached.

Indicate in the transcript which words or phrases require attention.  There's no need to put arrows, underlines or boxes onto the document clips themselves: we will find the right place without them and they can obscure significant marks.

Offline Mojo47

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 September 21 06:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Thanks for your help guys.I really appreciate the full responses.Hopefully I will find time at the weekend to give them a try!!

Thank you:)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 10 September 21 08:20 BST (UK) »
The name of your attachment must be unique WITHIN RootsChat.

So what I usually do is append my initials to the filename:
So, Will.doc becomes Will-KG.doc.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 10 September 21 23:14 BST (UK) »
The file size also needs to be below the 500kb limit too. When you attach the file, only click once otherwise it will appear that your image already exists.
Good Luck.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU