Author Topic: Hellen Ramsay Testament dative 1693  (Read 560 times)

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hellen Ramsay Testament dative 1693
« Reply #9 on: Saturday 11 September 21 14:01 BST (UK) »
Wow, GR2, you have been very busy!  Many thanks for all this.  At first glance it all looks very interesting.  I have family commitments at present but will come back later so that I can read it through in detail.  It should also help me with the Scots words and phrases.

Thank you so much, also for his signature.  I did find some signatures for other Livingstons when I was looking at the Laureation & Degrees Albums/The Historical Alumni on The University of Edinburgh website.

Thanks again,
Tilly

Offline tillypeg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Hellen Ramsay Testament dative 1693
« Reply #10 on: Saturday 11 September 21 19:43 BST (UK) »
The members of the Presbytery were certainly very welcoming, extending the hand of fellowship to Alexander.  I found the entry with his signature in the Lanark Presbytery Minutes that you mentioned and will have a closer look at it - probably through a magnifying glass  ;D 

I have been looking at the Livingstons because my 9th great grandfather was Samuel, vicar of Danby, North Yorkshire.  I have not been able to confirm that Alexr was his sibling as his name does not appear in the entry for Levingstoun of Danby Forest in Dugdale's Visitation of Yorkshire.  Samuel is listed as the third son of Robert of Skerling (sic), along with George and Robert.  Samuel's Will in 1677 mentions "sister Hellen Levingston" which I have taken to mean sister-in-law and fits with Alex's wife Helen Ramsay.  In reality, therefore, I have no concrete proof as yet but it has been interesting to go this far looking at the Testaments.

Thank you for all your help.
Tilly