Author Topic: Samuel Arnott ( 1858-1930)  (Read 1197 times)

Offline Hannahville

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Samuel Arnott ( 1858-1930)
« on: Friday 10 September 21 17:04 BST (UK) »
I have been seeking information on the above in Kirkcudbrightshire but have now followed his move to Dumfries. According to one report he was given a house Lovelands, Castle Douglas Road Dumfries by Mrs Hope-Henderson of Argaty , near Doune. I have been unable to verify this as the Valuation Roll for 1930 shows the house transferred to Samuel's widow but I cannot find it in earlier Rolls. In addition while Scottish People have done their best to assist they have been unable to locate any information.

I am at a loss as to  how to proceed. Any suggestions would be most welcome

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Samuel Arnott ( 1858-1930)
« Reply #1 on: Friday 10 September 21 17:33 BST (UK) »
Did she leave the house to him in her will? 

The 1901 shows him as a ?? journalist living on his own means at North Carse? Farmhouse
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 10 September 21 18:44 BST (UK) »
ARNOTT   ELIZABETH   WIDOW   Proprietor Occupier   BUNGALOW LOVELAND - CASTLE DOUGLAS ROAD   DUMFRIES   1930/31   VR002400027-

ARNOTT   ELIZABETH   MRS   Proprietor Occupier   BUNGALOW LOVELAND - CASTLE DOUGLAS ROAD   DUMFRIES   1940   VR002400036-

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline DonM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 10 September 21 22:51 BST (UK) »
Samuel had several (8) properties and in 19 Feb 1930 he died age 77, at Loveland a bunglaow on Castle Douglas Road.  His funeral started there as well. He was the owner/occupier of Fernlea on Newall Terrace in 1929 as well as others.  He also had properties on Assembly Street. 

In 1930 Robert James Arnott (son???) is now the owner of Fernlea.  Properties at 23 and 25 Assembly St. don't seem to exist post 1930 perhaps torn down.

I believe it was 1929/1930 when he either purchased or built Loveland and began liquidating his assets for cash.  Remember, 1930 was the year everything started to collapse. Loveland doesn't exist prior to 1930.  But if you look on Valuations you will see the farm on Dalbeattie (now the golf course) is next to Loveland and the dwellings starting there and moving out of town are much newer.

You would need to obtain copy of his Will to obtain the definitive proof. 

Background for everyone else - he was Provost of Maxwelltown for 11 years, Councilor for over 26 years a JP and well known and published Horticulturist in Alpine plants, a Horticultural Judge and FRHS. He invested in real estate...he was a wise man who started out as a Baker.

Don
I have turned off all email notifications, thank you.

Offline Hannahville

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 17:08 BST (UK) »
many thanks for help received. I am trying to find Samuel Arnott's grave in the Dumfries High Cemetery but so far have drawn a blank. I have searched most of the cemetery and have looked through the cemetery records in the Ewart Library in Dumfries  without success. There is a map of the cemetery in the Ewart but it is not very clear and is of limited value.

Offline hmcc

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 17:55 BST (UK) »
Dumfries High Cemetery Register showed Section C, number 931A as grave for Samuel Arnott.
The map of the cemetery in the library would hopefully show area of Section C.
hmcc

Offline MonicaL

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Girl with firewood, Morar 1910 - MEM Donaldson
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 21:59 BST (UK) »
Not surprisingly, Samuel's wife Elizabeth is buried with him. Her details show as:

Elizabeth Arnott
Birth Date: abt 1868
Death Place: Loveland, Castle Rouglas Rd Dfs
Burial Date: 22 Apr 1953
Burial Place: Dumfries, Dumfries-shire, Scotland
Cemetery Section: C
Grave Number: 931B

Monica
Census information Crown Copyright, www.nationalarchives.gov.uk