Author Topic: Woore and Mucklestone  (Read 1387 times)

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Woore and Mucklestone
« on: Saturday 11 September 21 17:45 BST (UK) »
familysearch has a burial record of Stephen Holding  16 March 1817.  The search result list shows the place as Woore, Shropshire, but the record it links to shows it as Mucklestone, Staffordshire.  I know the places are close, but it has to be one or the other.

FindMyPast has images for Mucklestone PR, in which I can see that some burials are of people from Woore - but no Stephen Holding.  Woore PRs are not included in FindMyPast's Shropshire collection.

Does anyone know whether the Woore parish register is likely to show burials of people from Mucklestone?
UK Census info. Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline goldie61

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Woore and Mucklestone
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 11 September 21 23:00 BST (UK) »
The entry for Stephen Holding in 1817 on familysearch doesn't say the burial was at Mucklestone.
If you look at the information about it (by clicking on his name after you've searched), it gives the actual film the entry is on - 004579406, and even the image number 01120, which is a real boon as it saves you having to scroll through the film yourself, which can be quite time consuming.
If you go to 'catalog', and search for this film, it turns out to be the entries for Hodnet church, which are items 12 - 19 on the film.
It does give his age as 60 on the transcription which I suspect you have seen.
This film would seem to be a combination of Shropshire Parish Records from several churches.
In fact the information given on the entry about Stephen Holdings death, says it is on a film which has the parish records for
"Muckleston; Weockwardine; Clungunford; Hodnet; Westbury; and Woore." (Hodnet will be items 12 - 19 as above). My guess is that whoever has done the transcribing to get the information on to familysearch, has had to pick just one of those churches as a 'place', hence the difference in the different records.
Unfortunately this film is locked, so you can't look at it from home  even if you're signed in. It would mean a trip to a LDS library to see it, or if you're lucky, (as I am), your local library may be classed as an 'affiliate member' and you can view it there.
But you can search this particular film (there's a little magnifying glass next to the locked film icon on the page about the film), and if you do that it not only brings up Stephen's burial at Hodnet, it also brings up a marriage for a 'Stephen Holden' on 18th August 1783, to Elizabeth Axon. Same film number, image 00665.

The entry for his burial on findmypast also says at Hodnet. Transcription only.

Baptism of a Stephen Holding 23 Oct 1757 at Morteon Say, Shropshire, about 4 miles from Hodnet. Father Hugh, mother Elizabeth. Film 007940645. Lots of other children to Hugh and Elizabeth at Moreton Say.
Lane, Burgess: Cheshire. Finney, Rogers, Gilman:Derbys
Cochran, Nicol, Paton, Bruce:Scotland. Bertolle:London
Bainbridge, Christman, Jeffs: Staffs

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 12 September 21 10:54 BST (UK) »
Thank you for that explanation goldie61.  The nearest access point is rather out of my range at the moment, but it is helpful to know how to get at the Hodnet register entries, if FindMyPast don't get around to including them.  (I was too busy trying to find a PR image  to notice that there is a National Burial Index record, so thanks for pointing that out.)
I had been thinking that the marriage to Elizabeth Axon might be the same chap.
I already have the baptism record - it's the family of Hugh and Elizabeth Holding that I am interested in. Thank you very much for taking the time to look and set all this out. Much appreciated.

Offline garstonite

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 September 21 07:38 BST (UK) »
Hmmmm  it looks a bit iffy - according to this the Stephen Holding who married Elizabeth Axon died in 1800 - the tree owner is obviously on the Axon side - anyway - in case you wanted Elizabeths line have a look at this

https://gw.geneanet.org/edithroots?n=axon&oc=&p=elizabeth   

ADDED
Hugh Holding born about 1726 in Moreton Say - father Hugh - mother Mary Brown -same tree owner
says Hugh b 1726 wife was Elizabeth Corbett

https://gw.geneanet.org/edithroots?n=holding&oc=&p=hugh

oakes,liverpool..neston..backford..poulton cum spittal(bebington)middlewich,cheshire......   sacht,helgoland  .......merrick,herefordshire adams,shropshire...tipping..ellis..  jones,garston,liverpool..hartley.dunham massey..barker. salford

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 September 21 09:47 BST (UK) »
Thanks, garstonite.  I'm not really sure where the 1800 death comes from, but I don't think it's him.
Elizabeth was buried at Hodnet too, and their children stayed around that area.

Yes, I believe Stephen's parents were Hugh and Elizabeth née Corbett (he had a brother named Corbett Holding), so that bit is right, and also the parents of Hugh seem right to me.  Stephen's details, not so good. (Sarah getting married in 1804 is probably a relative, but Stephen and Elizabeth's daughter Sarah was born in 1799.)

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 18:41 BST (UK) »
https://www.melocki.org.uk/salop/MoretonSay.html

Holding  45 matches

1799  Jan. 21. Stephen Holding & Ann Edmonds. Wit: Elizabeth Baddeley, Thomas Davis.
1799  Aug. 18. Miah, d. of Stephen & Ann Holding ... bap.
1799  Sep. 5. Miah, a child of Stephen Holding ... bur.
1800  Nov. 6. John, a child of Stephen Holding ... bur.
1803  Jan. 23. Ann, a child of Stephen Holding ... bur.
1804  June 17. Stephen, s. of Stephen & Anne Holding ... bap.
1809  July 23. George, s. of Stephen & Ann Holding ... bap.
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 16 September 21 10:07 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Alberbury.  I don't think I have come across that site before.  I have seen details for Stephen Holding and Ann Edmonds and their children on FindMyPast, but I am not sure how he might be related to the one born in 1757.  Fairly sure that they are not the same person, since Stephen (1757) 's wife Elizabeth outlived him.

Offline Alberbury

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 17 September 21 19:52 BST (UK) »
https://www.melocki.org.uk/salop/Hodnet.html

Holding   8 matches
Holden  4 matches

1783  Aug. 18. Stephen Holden, p. Trentham, co. Stafford, & Elisabeth Axon. Wit: Mary Axon, Richard Cartwright.

1783  Sep. 21. William, s. of Stephen & Elizabeth Holden, Hodnet.   bap.
1787  Jan. 28. Anne, d. of Stephen & Elisabeth Holden, Wollerton.  bap.
1799  Apr. 21. Sarah, d. of Stephen & Elisth. Holding, Peplow.      bap.
Salop Adams,Backhouse,Bailey,Carter,Cartwright,Chambre,Chettoe,Cooper,Fewtrell,Gardner,Greenhouse,Gwilliam, Humphrey,Jenks,Morrey,Otherton,Parry,Pickerall,Powell,Pugh,Reeves,Reynolds,Roberts,Rogers,Salter, Whittakers,Worrall,Wright,Yale

Mont. Davies,Edwards,Hughes,Lewis,Maddox,Mapp,Pritchard
Almeley Prichard
Battersea Young
Brechin Allan,Barrie,Duthie,Hardie,Mathewson,Mitchell,Strachan,Thomson,Valentine,Watt
Chelsea Coates,Smith
Emneth Bennington
Wisbech Bell,Briggs,Willcock

Offline Galium

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 17 September 21 21:40 BST (UK) »
Thank you, Alberbury.  Yes, I do have these. (This family would be easier if they had stuck to Holding or Holden, one or the other, but mostly they don't seem to have signed their own names.)