Author Topic: Query re Divorce in England and Deed Poll  (Read 517 times)

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Query re Divorce in England and Deed Poll
« on: Monday 13 September 21 21:14 BST (UK) »
Does any one know if an English marriage certificate would subsequently be annotated to show a divorce? I have learnt from a newspaper article that the marriage took place in 1938. Two months later the husband went to India with the army and served overseas until 1940 when he was discharged due to incapacity. He left on affectionate terms with his wife, but she stopped writing. When he wrote to say he was returning, she joined the ATS. He found her address, but she did not reply. The husband was granted a divorce in 1946. I am hoping that his marriage certificate, might show this so that I can enter a date in my records.

I had always been led to believe that he left his wife. I know that he went on to have children with my widowed grandmother and changed his name to hers. I have tried to find evidence of this in the London Gazette, but to no avail. He died in 1950 with my Grandmother's surname. I guess I'll just have to accept that he changed his name officially as I can find no evidence, unless any one has an alternative line of research to suggest.

Any thoughts appreciated!
Clarkson, Tolladay, Prevost, Killick, Hicks

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: Query re Divorce in England and Deed Poll
« Reply #1 on: Monday 13 September 21 21:41 BST (UK) »
There will be no details of any divorce on his 1938 marriage cert.  If he had remarried - the only mention on that cert would have been his marital status would probably have been something like “previous marriage dissolved”. Or “divorced”
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 13 September 21 21:50 BST (UK) »
There will be no details of any divorce on his 1938 marriage cert.  If he had remarried - the only mention on that cert would have been his marital status would probably have been something like “previous marriage dissolved”. Or “divorced”

Thanks, CaroleW. I appreciate you taking the time to comment! That's what I feared, aw well... It's a shame we don't do this, as it would make life so much easier when trying to piece everything together. Very often French certificates are annotated with such details.

Offline Jebber

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 13 September 21 21:51 BST (UK) »
You can call yourself Whatever you like, provided it is not for fraudulent purposes. It’s quite common for people to simply change the name without going to the expense of Deed Poll. You can also swear an affidavit in front of a solicitor, if you want a document to confirm the change of name, again that’s  purely optional. Many people don’t bother with either Deed Poll or Affidavit.
CHOULES All ,  COKER Harwich Essex & Rochester Kent 
COLE Gt. Oakley, & Lt. Oakley, Essex.
DUNCAN Kent
EVERITT Colchester,  Dovercourt & Harwich Essex
GULLIVER/GULLOFER Fifehead Magdalen Dorset
HORSCROFT Kent.
KING Sturminster Newton, Dorset. MONK Odiham Ham.
SCOTT Wrabness, Essex
WILKINS Stour Provost, Dorset.
WICKHAM All in North Essex.
WICKHAM Medway Towns, Kent from 1880
WICKHAM, Ipswich, Suffolk.

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 13 September 21 22:25 BST (UK) »
Thanks, Jebber! I think he must have sworn an affidavit in front of a solicitor. Mum seems to remember her mum and partner travelling to see a solicitor. That means I won't be able to get anything official to confirm the date. Thanks for your help - it's appreciated!

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 08:12 BST (UK) »
You say

I know that he went on to have children with my widowed grandmother and changed his name to hers.

Do you know when and under what name these children were born?

Have you checked electoral rolls to see what his name is on those?

Either of the above may give you a suggestion as to when he took your grandmother's surname.

Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

Offline PurdeyB

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 08:35 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

You can request a search of the Central Register of Decrees Absolute by the Family Court for a fee, although it's quite expensive if you don't have court details.

https://www.gov.uk/copy-decree-absolute-final-order

https://assets.publishing.service.gov.uk/government/uploads/system/uploads/attachment_data/file/958048/d440-eng.pdf

Jo
Boutflower/Boutflour - Northumberland & County Durham
Branfoot - N Yorkshire, Northumberland & County Durham
Horwell - York, E Yorkshire & Lincolnshire
Bettley - N & W Yorkshire

Offline Gillg

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 11:27 BST (UK) »
I was given the following advice in an earlier post when looking for a divorce and was able to find it here:

Search the online Catalogue

www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/catalogue/search.asp?j=1

using the surname as a search term, restricting it to series J77, and if the name is a common one you may want to restrict it by date too. The result will give the full names of both parties, and sometimes the co-respondent if there is one.

Hope this helps.

Gillg

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

FAIREY/FAIRY/FAREY/FEARY, LAWSON, CHURCH, BENSON, HALSTEAD from Easton, Ellington, Eynesbury, Gt Catworth, Huntingdon, Spaldwick, Hunts;  Burnley, Lancs;  New Zealand, Australia & US.

HURST, BOLTON,  BUTTERWORTH, ADAMSON, WILD, MCIVOR from Milnrow, Newhey, Oldham & Rochdale, Lancs., Scotland.

Offline manukarik

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 12:45 BST (UK) »
Thanks Girlguide. Will look when I’m home. First child born 1946 and he died in 1950. Good thinking!

Thank you PurdeyB and Gillg! I’ll look into / try your suggestions when I get home.

Great to see Rootschat is up and running again! Missed it when I couldn’t access it.