Author Topic: Luke Devanny/Cavanagh c1806 marriage.  (Read 849 times)

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Luke Devanny/Cavanagh c1806 marriage.
« on: Tuesday 14 September 21 12:12 BST (UK) »
Good morning. Luke I estimate came to Liverpool uk pre 1844 as on the 1851 uk census his daughter Mary is aged 7 c1844 born Ireland. His next child on this census is Thomas aged 2 born Liverpool. He died 1860 Liverpool aged 54. A further 4 children were born to them between 1853-58 all having the mother's maiden name of chambers. I have tried finding a marriage of a Luke to an Ann Chambers but with no success. Ann was born c1821 again in Ireland but given Luke's age he may have been previously married. Any help welcome re the marriage or birth of Mary welcome.

Thanks

John

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Luke Devanny/Cavanagh c1806 marriage.
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 13:17 BST (UK) »
John Hood, could you clarify a few things for me. If daughter Mary was born 1844 Ireland & son Thomas 1849 Liverpool that would indicated Luke came after 1844 and not pre 1844.The children all being Chambers(?) would indicate that Ann & Luke may be not married. Is Luke's surname Devanny or Cavanagh? I found a Luke Cavanagh age 70 in 1851 census but not a Luke Devanny. Could you be more specific about where you have found them. I found a birth for a Luke Devanny in Ireland but is that his name? If you can straighten out this, I will look further. Kim

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 15:34 BST (UK) »
Hi Kim, thanks for getting back. 1851 census ref 2181 748 47 has Luke aged 40 born occ Dock Labourer,Ireland, Ann 30 born Ireland, Mary aged 7 & Thomas aged 2.

Luke died aged 54 in Workhouse Liverpool.

Ann his wife remarries as (Devanna)1862 Liverpool to Henry Hultum and dies as Ann Hultum aged 72

Children of Luke & Ann,

Mary Davanny c 1844

GRO index for children uk born
Thomas Davanny 1848--marries as Cavanagh 1872 Elizabeth Edwards- Father Luke CAVANAGH-occ Dock Labourer.

Patrick DAVANY,1851, Michael DEVANY 1853, Anne DEVANNY 1857 (marries John Comer as Anne Cavanagh ) & John DEVANE 1858.

The 1881 uk census has Thomas DEVANEY 1848 with family. From that time on in 1891/1901/1911 census he is Thomas Cavanagh. 1861 census Thomas is DEVANA, 1871 he is Thomas CAVANAGH

So in trying to answer your questions

All uk births have mothers maiden name  Chambers, as well as a couple of their Catholic baptisms mmn Chambers--parents Luke Devanny and Ann Chambers.

Only having Luke's age as 40 in 1851 and death as 54 in 1860 does not bode well for an actual birth date. What I am really interested in is a potenial marriage for Luke & Ann.

John

So I have a situation where there appears to be a name change

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 18:51 BST (UK) »
The marriage can't have been around 1806 as wording of the topic title says.

Were godparents of their children relatives?
Any possible relatives living nearby?
Any clues at all about where they were from in Ireland?

What surname was Luke using on census?  Was he head of household? Which surname was his death registered under and who was informant? Was the surname Kavanagh/Cavanagh used by anyone in the family before Luke's death?

Devanney surname variants and locations. Also tried a search for Devanney & Chambers in same parish - no results.
Irish Ancestors Wizard
https://www.johngrenham.com/wizard

Do you have another recent topic about this family? Kavanagh/Devanny rings a bell.
Cowban

Offline shanreagh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 14 September 21 23:57 BST (UK) »
Devaney people and Cavanagh people were living with or connected to my Harris family or they may have been connected to the Callaghan family (who married into the Harris family) who emigrated to Philadelphia in the mid1860s. 

These families (above) were from Co Londonderry, in Limavady and other places, well the north anyway.   

Both names have a multiplicity of spellings on official documents. 

Offline greeneyedgirl

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 06:35 BST (UK) »
John, I came across this....

Birth:
Luke Devanny
baptised: 15 November 1809
Annagh, County Sligo, Ireland
father: John Devanny
mother: Bridget McDonogh

I will get back to you with anything else. Kim

Online softly softly

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 15 September 21 09:06 BST (UK) »
Maiden Stone and other's. I apologise for the heading of my post. Luke DEVANNY was according to to 1851 census born c 1811 and Luke DEVANEY death aged 54 in 1860 born c 1806--so a 5 year space. He is only recorded as born Ireland.

I have just realised I can order the re-marriage certificate of widow Ann DEVANNA to Henry Hultum in 1862 in Liverpool to try and establish her father's name if recorded.

With regard to the witnesses of Luke's children I had not explored that avenue.

Thomas DAVANNY  bap 9.8.1848 parents Luke Davanny & Ann Chambers. God parents Thomas & Bridget Doolan

Patrick DEVINE bap 17.8.1851 parents Luke Devine & Ann Chambers. God parents Michael McDonald & Catherine CHAMBERS

John DIVANNY bap 14.7. 1850 parents Luke Divanny & Ann Chambers. God parent Michael Hopkins

As a side note Luke's daughter Ann DAVANNY married John Comer as Ann CAVANAGH, when they had their son baptised her maiden name is recorded as Cavanagh.

So hope that all makes sense and apologies again.

John

Offline Maiden Stone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 16 September 21 11:57 BST (UK) »

Do you have another recent topic about this family? Kavanagh/Devanny rings a bell.

Yes, but it's a later generation - Thomas Henry Cavanagh
https://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php?topic=852725.0

With regard to the witnesses of Luke's children I had not explored that avenue.

Patrick DEVINE bap 17.8.1851 parents Luke Devine & Ann Chambers. God parents Michael McDonald & Catherine CHAMBERS

Sponsors were often relatives if they were available. If you're lucky they may be baby's aunt or uncle. On the other hand they may be friends or neighbours.

So Devine was another variant of Devanny. I would never have made a connection between Cavanagh and Devine. Reminds me of those "word ladder" puzzles, changing 1 letter at a time, resulting in a totally different word to the starting word.   

Cowban