Author Topic: Alexander Stewart born c1899  (Read 2222 times)

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Alexander Stewart born c1899
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 September 21 09:33 BST (UK) »
Hello gaffy,kloumann and aghadowey,thank you as so much for all of your hard work and the fascinating information you all sent me,the only thing I cannot work out is,what happened to my great grandad Alexander,he is listed as dying,aged 11,then does not seem to show up on any more sensus,yet married Margaret Gray in 1923

From reply #1-
Is this your gt grandfather born in 1899? His father William Stewart and his mother Martha Cord and born at 23 Caroline Street.
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1899/02043/1782381.pdf

If the Alexander with parents William & Martha that we have been posting detail on for you died aged 11 (as confirmed with death registration) then this is clearly the wrong family.

The sensible thing would have been for you to look at the 1923 marriage of your grandparents Alexander Stewart & Margaret Gray to get father's name & occupation. When gaffy posted the details of that marriage it should have sent up a red flag right away since Alexander's father was listed as farmer!

Another thing to remember is that RUC usually didn't post men to their home area and when they married they were also moved away from wife's county of birth.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 September 21 09:43 BST (UK) »
Under the spelling Stewart & searching for an Alexander age 2 with father William, farmer this is the only likely entry- a Presbyterian family with lots of other children-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Down/Ballybrick/Ballybrick/1207513/

Doing the same search with the surname as Stuart (as on the 1923 marriage) is this Catholic Stuart family- but father William is a cooper not farmer-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Dock_Ward/Earl_Street/1003258/

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 September 21 09:56 BST (UK) »
Hello,I am very sorry my message is not relevant to this topic,but not sure how to start a new topic,so sincerest apologies.
      I am looking for information on my great grandad Alexander stewart,born around 1899 in Belfast,I know he married a Margaret gray,they lived for a time in rockmore road,Belfast,then emigrated to Canada,where Alexander died around the 1940s/early 50s,together they had my grandad Terence Leo stewart,born around 1923,thank you for any help you can give me,Dean

Another Alexander Stewart with wife Margaret living at Rockmore Road ???
Belfast Telegraph, 15 Feb.1965: STEWART- February 12, 1965, at the Mater Hospital, MARGARET, beloved wife of the late Alexander Stewart R.I.P. Funeral to-morrow (Tuesday) at 1.50 p.m., from her late residence, 21 Rockmore Road.— Deeply regretted by her sorrowing Son and Daughter. and Family Circle.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 September 21 10:14 BST (UK) »

Another Alexander Stewart with wife Margaret living at Rockmore Road ???
Belfast Telegraph, 15 Feb.1965: STEWART- February 12, 1965, at the Mater Hospital, MARGARET, beloved wife of the late Alexander Stewart R.I.P. Funeral to-morrow (Tuesday) at 1.50 p.m., from her late residence, 21 Rockmore Road.— Deeply regretted by her sorrowing Son and Daughter. and Family Circle.

21 Rockmore Road is also the address of a Mrs. C Hutchinson mentioned in local newspaper articles of 1935 and 1939. At reply #6, note that Margaret's mother Catherine married a Thomas Hutchinson after first husband Terence died.

Street directories on the Lennon Wylie website show the following entries for that address:

1939/1943/1947/1951: 21. Hutcheson, Mrs. K.
1960: 21. Stewart, Mrs. M.

Online aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 September 21 10:14 BST (UK) »
1960- Rockmore Rd.- 21. Stewart, Mrs. M.
https://www.lennonwylie.co.uk/qrcomplete1960.htm

The widow Margaret Stewart who died 12 Feb.1865 was age 63 according to GRONI's database.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 September 21 10:15 BST (UK) »
Alexander would have been R.C. He would not have been allowed to marry in a RC church otherwise.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 September 21 10:37 BST (UK) »
My understanding is that all three classes of Specials were recruited and served locally and were almost exclusively protestant.  I searched for an adult (ie. convert) baptism for Alexander, without success.

Offline Kloumann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Sunday 19 September 21 11:08 BST (UK) »
I searched all the Alexander births from 1895 to 1902. Could only find one with father Wiiliam, a farmer, in Ballybrick, Co Down. They are protestant. The only RC one is with the father, William, a Cooper, not farmer.

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Sunday 19 September 21 11:17 BST (UK) »
Margaret Gray's mother Catherine Ward and her second husband Thomas Hutchinson had a daughter Bridget in 1912:
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1912/01504/1611077.pdf

That daughter Bridget Hutchinson was baptised on 4 February 1912 in St. Mary's, Belfast - the baptismal record was subsequently annotated to say that Bridget married Charles Davey in St. John's, Belfast, on 26 December 1938.  Then note the following PRONI Will Calendars index entry, GRONI shows a reported age of 70: Hutchinson Catherine of 21 Rockmore Road Belfast widow died 27 June 1947 Administration Belfast 8 July to Brigid Davey married woman. Effects £150 6s. 6d.

So, is all of this indicating that Margaret Stewart and family returned to Belfast after Alexander Stewart died in Canada?