Author Topic: Mciver  (Read 1542 times)

Offline SteveMcIver

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Mciver
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 28 December 22 21:06 GMT (UK) »
Hi, Arthur,

You mention a "McIver Family Booklet" that appears to explain when/how the McIvers (or at least some of them) left Scotland for Ireland. Is that booklet available somewhere online? Thanks!

Offline McIverMcIvor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 20 March 23 09:23 GMT (UK) »
I am researching my McIver family tree in Ireland too.

Not sure if you've found a link somewhere - but there are Tithe Applotment books for Ardtea Parish in County Tyrone on irishgenealogyhub.com as for the rest of the Parishes of what is now Northern Ireland. In 1825 the family records like mine are in the name McKeever, the phonetic spelling of the Scottish pronunciation.

All religions were required to pay tithes to the Parish.

In Ardtea there's two generations of Hugh, a Dennis, James and John McKeever all living in Grave's land townland. Plus a John McKeever in Alex Doyle's land townland and another John McKeever living in Ballygirk townland.

So you can track the names you have on that date throughout the Parishes.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 07:36 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat  :)

Just a small point - it's Artrea civil parish with parts in both Co Londonderry and Co Tyrone.

https://www.townlands.ie/londonderry/artrea/
https://www.townlands.ie/tyrone/artrea-tyrone-portion/

In Ardtea there's two generations of Hugh, a Dennis, James and John McKeever all living in Grave's land townland. Plus a John McKeever in Alex Doyle's land townland and another John McKeever living in Ballygirk townland.

http://www.irishgenealogyhub.com/tyrone/tithe-applotment-books/parish-of-artrea.php

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline McIverMcIvor

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 09:52 GMT (UK) »
Thanks! I'd picked Ardtrea up from earlier in the thread. I need to learn more about the Parishes!

The Tithe Applotment books are proving a useful resource like a census to track our McIver family line in that they aren't listed in Armagh where we know they were living from Parish records in 1836. Maybe the end of the trail for us, hoping this family collaborate their book based on family memory with the paper trail and it helps track any relocation of family members.

Offline SteveMcIver

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Tuesday 21 March 23 22:07 GMT (UK) »
Thanks. I know that by about 1863, my great-grandfather John was using "McIver" as the spelling. I have been told that he was made to change the spelling -- probably when he enlisted in the British Army that year -- but so far I believe the change was from "McIvor" to "McIver." The only really solid information I have is that he's from Tyrone (he reported this in the 1911 English census) and that his father was named John McIver (which, incidentally, is how it's spelled on his marriage registration). There was a family of McIvors in Termonmaguirk parish that I am currently focusing on, but I have never found a smoking gun to prove the relationship.