Author Topic: Where were 'Oxford Buildings' BRISTOL 1841, 51, 61  (Read 1254 times)

guest259648

Re: Where were 'Oxford Buildings' BRISTOL 1841, 51, 61
« Reply #18 on: Sunday 19 September 21 15:27 BST (UK) »
Looking at the route related to Jacob Emery's entry -

All that part of the parish of St Philip and Jacob (out) which comprises the west side of Marsh Lane - the south side of George's Place and all that plot of ground lying between the Great Western Railroad -Oxford Road - Cook's Lane (to the railroad bridge) and the back of Marsh Lane - containing the other side of Oxford Road - Cox's Buildings and Victoria Place - and all other courts and houses within those limits.

BumbleB
Thank you for showing us the route that was planned.
It seems a highly industrial area with all sorts of small nooks and crannies.
What would a 'court' be, in a Bristol sense?  I know the Courts in Birmingham, but would the same apply here?

D

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Sunday 19 September 21 15:31 BST (UK) »
Possibly, I'm not that familiar with Courts, sorry.

Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

guest259648

« Reply #20 on: Sunday 19 September 21 15:36 BST (UK) »
If you follow the 1851 census in the order that the enumerator has recorded the information, it goes from Dorset Place to Monmouth Place to St Thomas Place, all shown on the 1855 map, next are the last two places visited, Tribunal cottages and then Oxford Buildings. Logically they would be the south and north sides of Oxford Place, the next on the 1855 map.

Simon

Simon
I'm struggling to see Oxford Place... which end of Oxford Road/Street is it, please - closer to the river and that tangle of railway lines, or further into the town?

I agree it's a great idea to follow the route and see what's next door... Tribunal Cottages I can't call up either... still trying..
D

Offline Girl Guide

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Sunday 19 September 21 15:41 BST (UK) »
I would imagine that most 'courts' in Victorian times were similar.  Either back to back or houses grouped together with a square or rectangular bit in the middle that was used for washing clothes etc.
Ashford: Somerset, London
England: Devon, London, New Zealand
Holdway: Wiltshire
Hooper: Bristol, Somerset
Knowling: Devon, London
Southcott: Devon, China
Strong: Wiltshire
Watson: Cambridgeshire
White: Bristol
Windo - Gloucestershire, Somerset, Wiltshire

guest259648

« Reply #22 on: Sunday 19 September 21 15:49 BST (UK) »
If you follow the 1851 census in the order that the enumerator has recorded the information, it goes from Dorset Place to Monmouth Place to St Thomas Place, all shown on the 1855 map, next are the last two places visited, Tribunal cottages and then Oxford Buildings. Logically they would be the south and north sides of Oxford Place, the next on the 1855 map.

Simon

Simon
I'm struggling to see Oxford Place... which end of Oxford Road/Street is it, please - closer to the river and that tangle of railway lines, or further into the town?

I agree it's a great idea to follow the route and see what's next door... Tribunal Cottages I can't call up either... still trying..
D

Simon
I can see Oxford Place, at last!

I'm now looking at the 1828 map.
Just round the corner from Oxford Place, close to Kilboar Street, is 'Buckhurst Buildings'.
Part of this Buckhurst block seems to have gone under (?) some of the railway lines, just a few years later.

Is there any chance, do you think, that Buckhurst Buildings could have become Oxford Buildings?

D

Offline locksmith

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #23 on: Sunday 19 September 21 15:56 BST (UK) »
It is at the west end of Oxford Road on both the 1874 and 1855 maps,  ie where Oxford Street meets Barton Road on the 2019 OS map. It is next to Barton Road. The other three Places that I mentioned in my previous post are shown on the south side of Oxford road.

Simon

Posts crossed

guest259648

« Reply #24 on: Sunday 19 September 21 16:02 BST (UK) »
It is at the west end of Oxford Road on both the 1874 and 1855 maps,  ie where Oxford Street meets Barton Road on the 2019 OS map. It is next to Barton Road. The other three Places that I mentioned in my previous post are shown on the south side of Oxford road.

Simon

Posts crossed

Yes, thank you, you're guiding me beautifully.
Did you see my further post about Buckhurst Buildings...?
I think we're almost there...
D

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #25 on: Monday 20 September 21 02:52 BST (UK) »
Sorry. My following “quote” didn’t work - getting error messages and very slow, so I hope this makes sense. Previously I wrote:

Getting warmer:

https://maps.bristol.gov.uk/kyp/?edition=&maptype=js

Many of those places are close to Oxford Buildings. It may be that the unnamed pink row of buildings  on Oxford Place is Oxford Buildings, or maybe they were on Oxford Street.  :-\

I note that this link didn’t take you to where I intended it to.  :-\

If you scroll around to find the right area of the map, then select Ashmead 1855 (or 1874) from the ‘basemaps’ option on the panel on the right, then move the slider/overlay across the maps, you will see St Thomas Place.

On the 1851 census the enumerator went to St Thomas Place, then Tribunal Cottages, then Oxford Buildings.

NNW of St Thomas Place you can see a pink row of buildings. I wonder if these might be Tribunal Cottages?

Beyond that there is Oxford Place and and Oxford Street. There are no pink buildings marked on Oxford Street. I have no idea if this is significant or not.

It seems logical (perhaps), that the enumerator may have gone to Oxford Place after Tribunal Cottages, as he would then come to Barton Road, which as a main road, may be limit of his enumeration district.

I’ve seen enumerator’s rotes that windy wind all over the place, so anything other than the logical route is possible.  :)

Online Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #26 on: Monday 20 September 21 05:51 BST (UK) »
Dulcie, I don’t think Buckhurst Buildings would have morphed into Oxford Buildings. It is a bit too far south. Waterloo and other adjoining residences weren’t included as part of the enumeration district alongside Oxford Place.

In the 1828 map Cooks Lane extends north of the railway where Barton Road is, which may help understand the location as referred to in the description of the enumeration district in the 1851 census.