Author Topic: The daughter of Samuel TANSLEY and Catherine HUMPHREY born Cottingham 1858  (Read 1556 times)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • MENE INTUS ET IN CUTE NOVISTI
    • View Profile
The daughter of Samuel TANSLEY and Catherine HUMPHREY born Cottingham 1858
« on: Sunday 19 September 21 22:21 BST (UK) »
Here we go again!

I am trying to determine what happened to one of my TANSLEYs of interest who disappeared from the records before 1901. The confusing and various spelling of her name makes it all rather difficult to follow.

This girl was born the fifth daughter of Samuel Tansley and Catherine Humphrey on February 11th 1858 in Cottingham, Northamptonshire. Her name is entered in the Kettering birth index (Q1 1858) as Cathun. She was baptised five days later and the Parish Records appear as Cattune (or was it a poorly written Catherine?). In the census of 1861 the three year old is entered as Catton.

She went into service at Lamport Hall in Northamptonshire in 1881 where the census has her entered as Kate. By the end of that decade she had transposed to Landguard Manor on the Isle of Wight. She was still Kate in 1891. She does not appear in the records after this.

So, where did "my" Kate / Cattun / possibly Catherine go after that and where did she die? I have one "long shot possibility" but would need some agreement.

Many thanks, Alan
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley
Derby: Naylor, Ball, Haywood
Buckinghamshire: Cook
London: Craxford, Lane Crauford
Tyneside: Nessworthy, Simpson

Offline CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: The daughter of Samuel TANSLEY and Catherine HUMPHREY born Cottingham 1858
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 19 September 21 23:00 BST (UK) »
It is but attacking it from a known and confirmed standpoint. Although it is highly suspicious ** I have nothing concrete to confirm that the Cotton Tansley who died in Alton Hampshire is the girl in this thread.

Cheers Alan

** I used to write legal reports and were asked for an opinion based on the balance of probability. That means it was more likely than not. This case I believe satisfies that. It does not satisfy the much stricter test which requires beyond reasonable doubt.
Leicester / Northampton: Craxford,  Claypole, Pridmore, Pollard, Tansley, Crane, Tilley

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 19 September 21 23:18 BST (UK) »
1901 202 /61/7
Islington
William C Pentecost 50 yrs Clerk, b Cornwall
Madeline Pentecost 31 yrs b Cottingham
Winifred E Pentecost 5 yrs
Eva L Pentecost   3 yrs
Kate Tansley Sister in law 36 yrs Cook b Cottingham
Julius D Lange boarder 19 yrs

As you can see, her age is out by a few years

Offline Newfloridian

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 20 September 21 08:26 BST (UK) »
Most inconsiderate of them!!

Yes, Kate had a younger sister Madeline. Kate (Catton) was born in 1858; Madeline in 1864. So Kate would have been 43 years old in 1901 and Madeline 37 (not 36 and 31 respectively).

So that places Kate in London at the turn of the century but only pushes back my original question by a couple of years. It doesn't solve the question - did she die as Cotton Tansley in Hampshire in 1934.

Alan

Online heywood

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 20 September 21 08:29 BST (UK) »
Seems likely.

Online amondg

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 07:59 BST (UK) »
She was age 77 in 1934 so born circa 1857/8

Online DCB

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 12:36 BST (UK) »
Just a small point, Ancestry has the baptism transcribed as Catherine, although the image looks more like Cattrine. Other records have it as Kattrine.

David