Author Topic: German Pre-Unification (1871) BMD oiriginal dox  (Read 1084 times)

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: German Pre-Unification (1871) BMD oiriginal dox
« Reply #9 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 14:57 BST (UK) »
Katharina had a brother, Carl Bernhard, born on 28 April 1829 (first entry on the page http://www.landesarchiv-bw.de/plink/?f=4-1218802-95), but died on 26.01.29 ... impossible.

He actually died on 26 October 1829 at the age of 6 months (last entry on the page http://www.landesarchiv-bw.de/plink/?f=4-1218804-91).

The handwriting on the death and burial entry is truly appalling. The vicar appears to have recorded the surname as Striebe and named the mother as the single Christine Striebe, daughter of the deceased J...licke Striebe.

For the life of me, I cannot decipher, or even guess, Christine's mother's name.

Offline davecapps

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Wednesday 22 September 21 16:07 BST (UK) »
seems to me like Jokalicke or Jodalicke.
Witnesses
1 Ludwig Wolf, Stadt??
2 Joseph Mark, Todtengräber

Offline JDC

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Passed away 26th June 2022.
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Saturday 25 September 21 22:38 BST (UK) »
Sorry Dave and Justin,

Sorry I havent replied earlier but for some reason I did not get notice of your replies and have not checked the post lately since I am in the middle of a move at the moment, I will do so as soonas I can , this may be after I move in a couple of weeks. I will definitely look things over when I get chances within the next couple of weeks. I apologize to both of you.

JDC
Carpenter - B'ham Warwick,
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Langmaid - Cornwall & Hants
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline JDC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 26 September 21 02:55 BST (UK) »
Hello Everyone,

I have taken some time to look at the information all of you have found for me. This is wonderful. Yes I did attempt to look at the information that Svenja provided, but to be honest and unfortunately, I was a bit overwhelmed with German researching at that time being a newbie at it. I am still that way but not as bad - I am still having trouble navigating the German sites :-( I don't read or speak German at all unfortunately and even when some of it it is tranlated into English I still find it difficult. I have attempted to get someone to help translate the few document I knew were my ancestors but  the people I approached to translate the german documents to english said the documents were old German and that they were unable to translate for me. Obviously I approached the wrong people :-(

If you are still willing to translate the documents you found Justin I would very appreciative to get a copy.

Time to go back to packing - thank youeveryone,

JDC
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline JDC

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Sunday 26 September 21 04:49 BST (UK) »
Hi all,

Back again, just to let you know, I have Charles Coy as having 8 siblings.  the two oldest ones  born before Katherina married Matthaus. I wonder if she was married previously? The last child was born just prior to Matthaus' death.

JDC
Cole - Devon
Coy - Germany
Rayment - Herts & Kent
Holt - ? England

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Monday 25 October 21 11:29 BST (UK) »
Hello JDC,

Sorry that I missed your replies a month ago. I should have received automatic notifications of any replies to this topic.

Older German texts can be very challenging, but entries in parish registers generally have the same sort of wording that you would encounter in registers written in English. Google translate does a reasonable job of translating such short texts, although the translation of old titles and occupations generally requires further research.

With German ancestry, I can only encourage you to grapple with some rudimentary German ... that's part of the fun of genealogy.

I have had to split the translations of the records into two files to avoid exceeding the 500 kB file size limit.

The Coy family of Habitzheim appear to have been Catholics. The baptisms of Matthäus' two younger brothers and the baptisms and marriage of his parents were recorded in the Catholic parish registers.

The Landesarchiv Baden-Württemberg holds a number of records in the period 1766 to 1781 for an older Ambrosius Coy. This Ambrosius was described as a Hofbeständer or Hofbauer of Habitzheim, which I believe was essentially a farm or estate manager/administrator.

To be continued ...

Offline JustinL

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Monday 25 October 21 11:42 BST (UK) »
I've stumbled across a considerable amount of information covering several generations of the Coy family in Habitzheim.

The attached pedigree contains many links to the numerous sources, unfortunately in German. But if you right click in the browser, you can translate the pages into understandable English.

Ambrosius Coy, c1704-1779, was most likely the son or grandson of Catholic settlers from the Spanish Netherlands, who had been called to repopulate Habitzheim after the devastation of the 30 Years' War.

Quoting from the short description of the Familienbuch Habitzheim, 'After changing ownership, the estate was the seat of the Counts [von Löwenstein] themselves at the beginning of the 16th century, after which it was officials and estate managers such as Ambrosius Coy who shaped the estate and the place.'

Viel Spaß